Shinnes Ready To Shine :: Tommy Wilson

Stu1993

TOMMY WILSON is hoping that 2010/11 can be the year that Andrew Shinnie forces his way in to the Rangers first-team and fulfil his undoubted potential.

The 20-year-old attacking midfielder has now enjoyed two productive loan spells at Dundee in the past two seasons and has benefited greatly from playing regularly in the First Division.

On his return to Murray Park at the start of this month Wilson invited Shinnie to Hong Kong to play in the prestigious Soccer Sevens tournament and was blown away by his mature performances.

Despite coming up against Premiership opposition including West Ham United, Sunderland, Aston Villa and Old Firm rivals Celtic, Shinnie was named Player of the Tournament having scored eight goals.

And his displays did not go unnoticed by opposing coaches with Villa Academy Manager Bryan Jones highlighting the Scotland under-21 internatioanl as an 'excellent player' on their official website.

Tommy Wilson said: "The Aston Villa staff, and the coaches from the other teams, all asked me about Andrew Shinnie in Hong Kong.

"It was almost like he was playing a different sport at times; he was absolutely magnificent.

"He scored some great goals but it was his overall play that made him stand out.

"Because of the make up of the squad I asked him to play slightly further forward than he normally would and that's something we might continue to do in the future.

"He showed an outstanding aptitude to playing in that position and I hope that this can kick start his Rangers career as he has been unlucky with injuries in the past.

"I know that when Jocky Scott was the manager at Dundee he spoke to our manager a lot and the feedback we got about Andrew was excellent, on and off the pitch.

"Coisty also called me a few times in Hong Kong and I was able to speak to him about Andrew's performances.

"So he's a player with undoubted ability, I just hope that he gets the opportunity with our first-team next season and he takes it."

Tommy can still recall the first time he watched Shinnie in action four years ago.

He said: "I remember when I was taking the Scotland under-19s I would come to Murray Park to watch a few games and there was a young 16-year-old playing for Rangers and it was Andrew Shinnie.

"Ian Durrant and John Brown told me who he was after I had asked them.

"They were raving about him and I was going to pick him for the Scotland squad back then but he picked up an injury.

"So he is someone I have been aware of for some time as he has that knack of popping up in the box and scoring goals.

"Indeed he ended up the top scorer in Hong Kong which was a great achievement given the standard of teams in the tournament."

looks like he had some great games in hong kong and the other EPL Teams took notice too.

We seem to have these types of stories appearing every year, then when it comes to the crunch. These boys don't get a chance and end up at Lincon etc.

At 20 he should be at the stage to compete for a place in the 1st team, will he. I have my doubts... :(

Agree DB, he has seem to thrive on getting game time at Dundee and looks like it has done him good. IMO Villa have one fo the best youth academys down south and for them to brand him an excellent player then his performance levels must have been high.

Heard it many times.

Didn't Smith 'promise' that Ness would get more action this year? He hasn't even seen a second of first team action.

Players like Davis can't get into their natural positions in front of Mr Undroppable, what chance has Shinnie got?

Heard it many times.

Didn't Smith 'promise' that Ness would get more action this year? He hasn't even seen a second of first team action.

Players like Davis can't get into their natural positions in front of Mr Undroppable, what chance has Shinnie got?

well Hes banned for the first two games so hopefully we perform well enough that walter will not want to change the team if things go well.

but its walter so he most likely will.

I always thought that Shinnie could be a great player, but had started to give up hope seeing as he didn't seem to be getting near the first team. Hopefully Wilson's right, and Walter gives him a chance, but I certainly wouldn't put money on that.

Was injured the whole first half of last season and went out on loan. Hopefully he can do something in pre-season as realistically this season will be make or break for him.

I hope he can come good next season, the latest tournament must have filled him with a lot of confidence so it would be great to see him given a good amount of game time in pre season and see how he can handle himself in the first team.

jordan mcmillian just as good if no better,dont see him getting the chance,he can play anywhere in the defence or midfield,1 first team game against dundee he was outstanding,even on loan at qots he was fantastic,but nothing from the coaches.

Well for me the ball is well and truly in Shinnies court now. He's got top team action under his belt at a not bad (in Scottish terms) team. If he shows enough desire, hunger, application and so on then theres every chance he will get in the team given we have a small squad. When injuries and suspensions kick in then he's in with a shout of getting a run in the team. Its all up to him, I know Walter doesnt have the best record of promoting youth but given our present circumstances he may well have to next season and Shinnie will have to show what he can do. Best of luck to him.

I have always gauged my young players this way....If you are good enough,Son, then you are playing, no matter what age you are.I sincerely hope Walter does this to these kids we never get a chance to see and gives them a chance to test themselves.

Let's face it, we haven't got an overabundance of players, have we?

so why not give the kids a go at it if they are doing the business at training.doh