Man Utd's Paul Scholes hints at retiring next summer

Manchester United midfielder Paul Scholes has hinted he will only play one more season before retiring.

The 35-year-old, who made his debut for the club in 1994, was talked out of retirement last season by manager Sir Alex Ferguson.

But he told an EPL Talk podcast: "I am coming to the end of my playing career - I maybe have one year left.

"I have started doing my coaching badges - hopefully one day I'll be able to coach kids or some team somewhere."

Scholes has been a mainstay of United's continued success under Ferguson, winning nine Premier League titles and helping them to two Champions League victories.

"It goes without saying what a top manager he has been," said Scholes.

"The amount of players he has brought through the youth team is great and it gives hope to all the kids in the youth team that if they are good enough he will definitely use them.

"It has just been fantastic working with him and I think there is a good few years left in him yet."

During his career, Scholes also won 68 England caps before quitting international football in 2004.

He was offered the chance to play in the current World Cup by Fabio Capello, only to decide against making a comeback.

"I wasn't given enough time to think about it. It's a big decision. If they'd asked me earlier, I probably would have accepted," he said earlier this month.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/m/man_utd/8760009.stm

Great player who's had a great career, be sad when he's finally hung up his boots :disappointment:

I dont think games pass him by at all, I still see him as a key player at United when he plays

Im dont think theres anyone else in the Premiership who can sit and ping passes all over the pitch as well as Paul Scholes still can

Speaks volumes that at 35 Capello still wanted to take him to the World Cup

Scholes cant tackle. Think he has always been over hyped but fair do's to him he has won the lot in the game and stayed loyal to Man U <cr>

He couldn't tackle when he won the CL in 99 either.