Walter Smith raises squad injury fears

HashPizza

Rangers manager Walter Smith has raised concerns over the impact injuries and suspensions could have on his squad in the new season.

Kris Boyd and Kevin Thomson have joined Middlesbrough, while Stevie Smith, DaMarcus Beasley and Nacho Novo also left Ibrox during the summer.

"Injuries and suspensions are what worry me right now and more than ever before," said 62-year-old Smith.

"In fact, they are what worry me most as I look towards the new season."

Rangers travel to Australia on Tuesday to continue their pre-season training ahead of the defence of their Scottish Premier League title.

Left-back Sasa Papac is unavailable after suffering a knee injury in last weekend's friendly against Queen of the South.

And Smith, who is in his final season as manager at Ibrox, is keen to bolster his squad before seeking a third consecutive league championship.

"We still have a strong base of a team and if one or two more could be added that would be great," he said.

"But when you are running with a small squad it's the number of injuries and suspensions that hit you harder.

"You have to factor in the European football and the matches some of the boys will be playing with their national sides in the first part of the season. I can only hope that doesn't take its toll.

"There is no doubt that could inhibit us a bit in terms of any success."

The Rangers manager added: "We just have to do everything we can to make sure everyone stays as fit as possible, but we have to keep a certain level of discipline in our play as well."

Striker Andrius Velicka will also miss the Australian tour as he battles back from a knee injury which has kept him sidelined since last August.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/r/rangers/8837285.stm

He's right, could you imagine our season if Davis picked up a bad injury that ruled him out for the season.

We'd be fucked!

He is right but I think its stating the obvious from Walter and theres too much negativity coming from his mouth on an increasingly frequent basis. Didn't need to be a back page headline.

He's right, could you imagine our season if Davis picked up a bad injury that ruled him out for the season.

We'd be fucked!

He is right but I think its stating the obvious from Walter and theres too much negativity coming from his mouth on an increasingly frequent basis. Didn't need to be a back page headline.

What do you want him to say though, kid on everything is all rosy. Which leads to more frustration?

He's painting a realistic picture for us fans to get our heads around.

We'd be fucked!

What do you want him to say though, kid on everything is all rosy. Which leads to more frustration?

I understand what he's doing but I think theres a fine line between creating a seige mentality among the players and painting things as so bleak that some will think they're beaten before they begin. It cant help the recruitment or retention of players with all the negative stuff in the press

We'd be fucked!

I understand what he's doing but I think theres a fine line between creating a seige mentality among the players and painting things as so bleak that some will think they're beaten before they begin. It cant help the recruitment or retention of players with all the negative stuff in the press

Our recruitment is non existent and of course it has a knock on effect in retaining players, but that's our current situation and it ain't going to let up any time soon.

We only get the odd newspaper release to keep us in check, like it or not it's good PR cause us as fans ease up with the pressure being applied.

Our players must be extremely frustrated, with our who's next out the door mentally from the top.

Rangers manager Walter Smith has raised concerns over the impact injuries and suspensions could have on his squad in the new season.

Kris Boyd and Kevin Thomson have joined Middlesbrough, while Stevie Smith, DaMarcus Beasley and Nacho Novo also left Ibrox during the summer.

"Injuries and suspensions are what worry me right now and more than ever before," said 62-year-old Smith.

"In fact, they are what worry me most as I look towards the new season."

Rangers travel to Australia on Tuesday to continue their pre-season training ahead of the defence of their Scottish Premier League title.

Left-back Sasa Papac is unavailable after suffering a knee injury in last weekend's friendly against Queen of the South.

And Smith, who is in his final season as manager at Ibrox, is keen to bolster his squad before seeking a third consecutive league championship.

"We still have a strong base of a team and if one or two more could be added that would be great," he said.

"But when you are running with a small squad it's the number of injuries and suspensions that hit you harder.

"You have to factor in the European football and the matches some of the boys will be playing with their national sides in the first part of the season. I can only hope that doesn't take its toll.

"There is no doubt that could inhibit us a bit in terms of any success."

The Rangers manager added: "We just have to do everything we can to make sure everyone stays as fit as possible, but we have to keep a certain level of discipline in our play as well."

Striker Andrius Velicka will also miss the Australian tour as he battles back from a knee injury which has kept him sidelined since last August.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/r/rangers/8837285.stm

First of all we were doomed. Walter told us that the situation would only get worse when the season finished.

Then, there was money to spend and we didn't need to sell any of our top players. A good working relationship was established with the bank.

Then, we were looking to bring in 3 players to replace the departures of Boyd, Beasley, Smith and Novo.

Then Thomson was sold at the drop of a hat and Danny Wilson (and others) will follow in the next few weeks.

And now Walter says we are looking to bring in 1 or 2 new faces.

I, personally don't believe anything Walter and co say. Why don't they tell us the truth, for once.