Webster can finally find his rhythm at Blues

Walter Smith believes that sending Andy Webster out on loan to Dundee United last season could prove to be the catalyst for the defender making a real impact at Rangers.

The Ibrox boss has told Webster that he has the potential to become an Ibrox captain and urged the Scotland internationalist to seize his chance this term.

Webster had fallen out of the picture at Rangers after spending the bulk of his time in the treatment room following his move from Wigan.

But he was revitalised by his move to Tannadice last term where he assumed the role of captain for the club.

“I decided to take Andy away from the pressures of Rangers last season,” said Smith.

“I allowed him to go and get some games at Dundee United and he did extremely well.

“After all, it’s not very often you see boys go out on loan and captain the team.

“But Andy did that at Tannadice and played very well throughout the season. I hope the experience has boosted his confidence because that was the reason we sent him away in the first place.

“Now that he is back, I hope he brings the same influence to us as he did to Dundee United’s team last year when he played a good number of games and having been unlucky with injuries.

“He would actually have played more for United had he been able to play in the half-a-dozen games against us.

“But I feel now he is finally free of the injury problems he’s had in recent seasons and I’m sure he can be a real benefit to us.”

Meanwhile, Webster himself says the Gers players are not overly worried about the lack of new faces at the club despite five departures.

And the defender believes the young players that will be introduced firstly on tour in Australia, and then over the course of the season as Smith’s hand is forced due to lack of numbers, are capable of forcing their way into the first-team.

He said: “Of course as a player you like to see a couple of new faces, but there’s time for that to happen, the manager knows what he is doing in that regard.

“We know we need to increase our squad by two or maybe three players before the end of the transfer window and, hopefully, we can do that.

“But even allowing for that there will be plenty of opportunity for those young lads we have involved now to make an impression.

“There are a lot of young players, but it’s important that there are experienced heads alongside them too and that’s part of the job for the more senior boys.”

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/editor-s-picks/captain-in-waiting-who-can-finally-find-his-rhythm-at-blues-1.1042525

Edited the title as Walter never actually said he was a potential captain.

Not very bothered with him.

Injury prone and pretty poor.

Would rather we sold him or maybe done a swap deal for Goodwillie or something.

Would rather have Weir and Boogie with Wilson and another youngster for cover.

id like to see davis as our next captain but i hope webster has a good solid season like he did last season with utd and avoids injury as he'll be a major player for us i would imagine as weir surely cant play every single game again as was amazing that he managed that last season :praise:

I really hope that Webster gets a good few games for us this season and does himself justice. He had horrendous luck when he first signed, so fingers crossed that luck will change and he can be a big part of another successful campaign.

Of course he'll probably get injured in pre-season...