Jelavic has arrived at Murray Park

Mansion

if he plays against villa then rapid better taken 2 million off his transfer, no way are we gonna fork out 4 million plus for a plyer who can't play in a european competition because he's cup tied.

fuck that

I'm sure I read that it doesn't matter whether he plays in this game or not. If they qualify he is cup-tied, regardless of whether he plays against Villa, and if they don't qualify he isn't cup-tied, again regardless of whether he plays or not.

Can anyone who knows the correct ruling confirm this?

I'm sure I read that it doesn't matter whether he plays in this game or not. If they qualify he is cup-tied, regardless of whether he plays against Villa, and if they don't qualify he isn't cup-tied, again regardless of whether he plays or not.

Can anyone who knows the correct ruling confirm this?

Correct (tu)

At the same time, if that's what Vienna wants to do then they are entitled. He's thier player.

Not happy about it.

But as someone else said, 4 million goes to 2 million if he's cup tied. Then it's upto them what they want to do.

am just hanging on in hope to this SSN report for which there seems to be no confirmation yet...anyone on airport duty? :craphead:

Rangers chief executive Martin Bain expects Nikica Jelavic in Glasgow in the next 24 hours to undergo a routine medical.

Gers have agreed a fee with his club Rapid Vienna and finalised personal terms with the 24-year-old Croatia international striker.

Rapid have thrown a spanner into the works after stating the striker would stay in Austria this week for their Europa League play-off with Aston Villa.

However, Bain is not happy with Rapid moving the goalposts and the last thing he and the club want is for Jelavic to be cup-tied in Europe.

Unacceptable

"We have agreed personal terms with the player having already reached an agreement with Rapid on his transfer fee," he told the Daily Record.

"But his club have moved the goalposts and this is not acceptable.

"We expect the player to be in Glasgow in the next 24 hours to undergo a medical."

When do they play Villa?

Thursday.

Maybe they just want him for the 1st leg, since they'll have more time to find a replacement between the two games. Or maybe that's just wishful thinking.

Thursday.

Maybe they just want him for the 1st leg, since they'll have more time to find a replacement between the two games. Or maybe that's just wishful thinking.

the way they were talking, they want him for both legs

we simply do not know

2010/11 UEFA Regulations

18.07 As a rule, a player may not play in a UEFA club competition (i.e. UEFA Champions League and UEFA Europa League, but not UEFA Super Cup) for more than one club in the course of the same season. Exceptionally, however, a player who has been fielded in the first, second or third qualifying round of the UEFA Champions League or UEFA Europa League is entitled to play in the UEFA Champions League or UEFA Europa League for another club as from the group stage, provided that his former club did not qualify for the group phase of either the UEFA Champions League or the UEFA Europa League; moreover, as from the start of the round of 16 (round of 32 for UEFA Europa League), a player can be registered in accordance with paragraphs 18.17 to 18.20 below. For the avoidance of doubt, a substitute player who has not been fielded is entitled to play for another club competing in the UEFA Champions League or UEFA Europa League in the course of the same season, provided that he is registered with the UEFA administration in accordance with the present regulations.

Its clear that the Rapid board are happy to sell the player but they are terrified of the response of their own fans. I can see their predicament as they want to show they did everything they could to keep the player but I'm not happy that its Rangers that are suffering as a result.

Its now at the stage where its too dodgy for us to hang around any longer and dwelling much more could seriously damage our season. If we can seal this in the next 24 hours then great, if not then we should drop all interest for good and move swiftly on to other targets.