Rangers Chelsea Connection

minstral

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Chelsea were playing Man Ure for instance I would like them to win but if they don't it's no big deal cos all I really care about is The Rangers and Scotland. (tu)

That's fair enough as that makes sense. who do two team(or more) support when they are drawn together, it's like that idiot who used to be on youtube who supported Rangers one week and the filth the next.

Its glory hunting remember years ago people thought Newcastle were a team.

The big connection came after the Bradford disaster fund raiser. After that there used to be loads of Chelsea shirts at Ibrox and Ibrox used to sing Chelsea songs and vice versa. At half time when the English half time results were announced there used to be a big cheers if Chelsea were winning and a groan if they were losing.

The kids on here that say there’s no connection wont know that though

That's my take on it, but some say it started with the Ron 'Chopper' Harris Testimonial about 1971.

As we see in the posts perviously on this thread there has been connections since the early 1900’s and it’s just been refreshed every so often. The daft kids that have no clue about the connections, well, i feel sorry for them, but it’s a sign of the times, everything changes and time doesn’t stand still.

But the connection has NOTHING to do with the influx of money into Chelsea for the majority.

Rangers footballer John Tait Robertson who played for our club 1899-1905 went on to become Chelsea first ever manager. Maybe thats why we are the blues brothers. :)

This is spot on. I used to work as a tour guide at stamford bridge. Stamford Bridge used to be an athletics and greyhound racing track, but it was going broke, so they needed a football team to help with funds. They invited Fulham to play there (as the stadium is in Fulham) but they decided to stay at Craven Cottage. They wanted to call it London FC, but other London clubs were unhappy with that. The two nearest boroughs are Kensington and Chelsea, and they flipped a coin, and Chelsea won, so that was to be the name of the new team. They went up to Glasgow to invite John Tait Robertson to be player/manager of the new Chelsea FC, which he accepted. For their first game he brought down old Rangers tops, and ever since they have played in blue, hence the "blues brothers" connection

As we see in the posts perviously on this thread there has been connections since the early 1900’s and it’s just been refreshed every so often. The daft kids that have no clue about the connections, well, i feel sorry for them, but it’s a sign of the times, everything changes and time doesn’t stand still.

But the connection has NOTHING to do with the influx of money into Chelsea for the majority.

There has always been a connection. Since day one of Chelsea. See my earlier post. I think something similar may have happened at Arsenal but I'm not 100% sure about that. I knew nothing of the connection as a boy but I still liked them. Mainly because they played in blue. They had hee-haw money back then.

Indeed, Chelsea were a very different Club back in the mid 80s.

I started going to the Bridge quite regularly in 83/ 84 I think (I was living in London at the time), they were in the old Second Division then.

So were Newcastle, Man City, Fulham, Leeds right enough.

Indeed, Chelsea were a very different Club back in the mid 80s.

I started going to the Bridge quite regularly in 83/ 84 I think (I was living in London at the time), they were in the old Second Division then.

So were Newcastle, Man City, Fulham, Leeds right enough.

I was a member from 89 till about 95 and was up most weekend when the ships i was on were in Portsmouth

There has always been a connection. Since day one of Chelsea. See my earlier post. I think something similar may have happened at Arsenal but I'm not 100% sure about that. I knew nothing of the connection as a boy but I still liked them. Mainly because they played in blue. They had hee-haw money back then.

Arsenal was founded by someone from Fife, but I don't think he had any connection with Rangers.

The club's ties with Arsenal were largely due to them being the two establishment clubs either side of the border, and both dominating their leagues. The two clubs even took shares in each other.