Interview with young Darren Cole

Ibroxblue

By RONNIE MacKAY

DARREN COLE used to watch a 10-year-old Danny Wilson put on a pair of GLASSES before every boys' club game.

The Scotland Under-19 skipper admitted he could never see his pal becoming a £2million Liverpool star.

Rangers defender Cole came through the ranks with Wilson, now 18, at Murieston Boys' Club, Livingston and then Murray Park.

Now Cole - in Estonia trying to help Billy Stark's babes qualify for the next stage of the European Championships - has his own sights set on making the big time.

He said: "Danny is the year above me but I was playing with the older lads so played alongside him throughout.

"I remember when we were at Murieston he would actually play with his glasses still on - he was nothing special at all.

"At the boys' club, they wouldn't be bothered if he wore his glasses and then he eventually started wearing goggles.

"Murieston folded and seven of us went to join Livingston before Rangers scouted some of us.

"Danny was always good but you never imagined he would end up a Liverpool player.

"Even a year ago, you wouldn't have thought that, but when he went into the first team, he didn't look out of place.

"He did well for himself at Ibrox and took his opportunity with the first team when he got it.

"That is the perfect example of how to take a chance. If you play well for 90 minutes of a game then that can be you."

Cole, also 18, is impressed by the way Wilson broke into the senior squad at Gers before getting his big move to Anfield. He said: "I am happy he has made it.

"I live in Broxburn and he stays just 10 minutes down the road in Livingston.

"I need to try and get a chance in the first team just like Danny has done.

"Kyle Hutton got a shot in the League Cup the other week against Dunfermline and I heard he was man of the match on the radio, so he is close.

"I have been training with the first team but my ambition is to train with them more, try and get on the bench, and get a couple of appearances."

Cole is hoping his Latin American genes can help propel him into the first team.

He revealed: "My great grandfather is from Belize, which used to be known as British Honduras. "I don't really know much about him but I do have some Latin American blood in me. Maybe that's where me wanting to pass the ball comes from.

"I actually base my game on Brazil star Maicon - I didn't think he was that good until he did well at the World Cup in the summer.

"He is so strong going forward and is good at passing the ball. He also has really good technique."

Cole is currently being played at centre-back with Scotland and Rangers but admitted right-back is his preferred position.

He said: "I was playing right midfield when I first joined Gers seven years ago and then I moved to right-back.

"It is only in the past eight months or so I have been put into central defence.

"There was an injury and I have done well so they have kept me playing there.

"I enjoy being centre-half but I don't think I will progress in the first team if I play there.

"I prefer playing as a central defensive midfielder or as a full-back. I feel I am being wasted as I like getting on the ball."

Scotland need a point against Norway tomorrow to top the table and qualify for the elite group.

If they lose by two goals or more and Estonia beat Liechtenstein, they could end up third.

Cole doesn't think they should be overly concerned having beaten minnows Liechtenstein 7-0 and the hosts 2-1.

He said: "I never expected the team to be as good as this when we were first selected. This team is up to scratch.

"It is a great honour to be captain of your country and when you put the armband on, you feel even more up for it."

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/3162178/Spec-ravers.html#ixzz11Bp0UsUW