Weir plans coaching career

bluenose4life

Rangers veteran David Weir insists he only sets short-term goals when it comes to his playing career - but is already planning for life when he eventually hangs up his boots.

The 40-year-old defender is currently concentrating on Scotland's tough Euro 2012 qualifying double-header against Czech Republic and Spain.

But he has started planning for the future by enrolling for a Uefa Pro Licence course in January.

Weir has made no secret of his coaching ambitions and has already gained his preliminary A and B badges as he prepares to move into management.

He said: "You never look that far ahead in football, or I don't anyway.

"Short-term goals are the way forward, especially when you get over 30.

"But I've got a thirst for knowledge and with the managers I've worked under that increases it - people you can talk to about the game and try to get ideas from."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11788_6424203,00.html

Can see him being a top coach in the future, has already shown this with Danny wilson next to him during games

i would love him to be on our coaching staff immediately when he retires, i know his family will never move, but even what he can offer day before, day of a match would be incredible. would love him to be our manager one day too.

but i do think he will head back down south unfortunately when he retires :disappointment: