Barry Ferguson - Legend or Not

During his first stint with Rangers Barry was my hero, would always get his name printed on the back of my shirt and tried to emulate him whilst playing Football whilst failing miserably. When he left us after the treble winning season I was so gutted, Rangers man my arse! Leave Rangers after captaining them to the treble to play with Blackburn? Wrong decision in my opinion, I could have understood if it was a top Premiershop team but it wasn't.

When he returned he didn't dominate the midfield like he used to, it was almost like he held other players back a lot of times. He still showed moments of class but this was overshadowed by him reverting to his crab play and his attitude didn't help much either.

Legend? For his first stint i'd say yes but his second stint left a sour taste.

Legendary Captain? Never in a million years.

Was he not forced to leave because of sicial issues he had “In Glasgow” and was about to be outted in the Mhedia?

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps that would be a separate thread actually :pipe:

I loved big Amo, but I don't think he was a great captain in all honesty.

I think Amo was a great Captain but a terrible terrible footballer

What was about to be outed by the mhedia ?

I have never read about it on here..............but i know it has been hinted at. It was a case of get out of dodge quickly hence why he went to unfashionable Blackburn as they were the only team that would take him quickly

I have never read about it on here..............but i know it has been hinted at. It was a case of get out of dodge quickly hence why he went to unfashionable Blackburn as they were the only team that would take him quickly

His autobiography makes it perfectly clear that he left because everyone was telling him he needed a new challenge and we'd sold half our team over the course of the summer

Amoruso was an absolute rock at the back in his final 2 years at the club, culminating in a POTY award in 2002 and a treble in 2003

Well personally i think he is one of the worst footballers i have ever seen at Ibrox. EVERY game he would have an absolute howler, trying to run out of defence like he was the Kaiser. He was shit, total shit but his character and will to win was what carried him.

Monaco at Ibrox though :anguish:

Cuellar had a ridiculously bad game at Tannadice in a match we drew 3-3. Doesn't mean everyone looks back and thinks he was pish. Amo had a pretty awful 00/01 season but so did almost all our squad, and he was a rock in 4 of his 5 seasons imo

Well personally i think he is one of the worst footballers i have ever seen at Ibrox. EVERY game he would have an absolute howler, trying to run out of defence like he was the Kaiser. He was shit, total shit but his character and will to win was what carried him.

Agree'd.

Cuellar had a ridiculously bad game at Tannadice in a match we drew 3-3. Doesn't mean everyone looks back and thinks he was pish. Amo had a pretty awful 00/01 season but so did almost all our squad, and he was a rock in 4 of his 5 seasons imo

Amoruso had numerous 'lapses of concentration' and it cost us big, more than once.

How did Amoruso cost us big when we won the title in 3 of his 5 seasons and he won the country's POTY award in one of the seasons we didn't win the league?

He made an error against Monaco and we were knocked out of the Champions League. It happens. It may also have helped if we hadn't been skelped by Sturm Graz in our previous game

How did Amoruso cost us big when we won the title in 3 of his 5 seasons and he won the country's POTY award in one of the seasons we didn't win the league?

He made an error against Monaco and we were knocked out of the Champions League. It happens. It may also have helped if we hadn't been skelped by Sturm Graz in our previous game

Monaco was his most glaring error but not his only one.

Monaco was his most glaring error but not his only one.

Remember his volley ball shot at Parma when he was running back into the box and he said the ball hit a “sprinkler” which caused his hand to shoot out and punch the ball.............

legend should only be used for players 10 years after they stop playing. in Barry Fergusons case i would say yes he should be regarded as a legend. not many players get to captain Rangers to a European final. in my opinion he is one of the best Scottish players in the last 15 or 20 years. He held is own and had performances that were world class in probably the best Rangers team in decades with genuine outstanding players in it in advocaats first couple of seasons. He made mistakes off the park but almost every single player does that. I think a lot of us took him for granted in the end up.

Well if you think of domestic honours Ferguson has won, it equals those of John Greig.

And he also captained Rangers to a European final, one of 4 players to ever do so.

A little perspective is required though. Greig won his domestic honours during a time when Celtic were at the best they have ever been in their history, and for a while one of the best teams in the world.

Barry Ferguson is a truly oustanding footballer and has been for over ten years and has had incredible success at Rangers. The diehard supporter who went on to captain his team. I have always been a huge fan and years down the line I believe that regardless of whatever stupid mistakes he made he will go down as a Rangers legend!!!