Miracle Gro

D'Artagnan

The news that Celtic FC have banned the selling of poppies at Parkhead should come as no surprise to those of us well versed with the character of Celtic FC.

Those of Miracle Gro fame have for years trying to fathom the formula which adorns the lapels of former Celtic FC employees. Charlie Nicholas... Martin O’Neil are just a few who having severed all official links with Celtic FC have miraculously suddenly sprouted poppies on their lapels.

Let me just remind you......we are talking about the following..... “Celtic Football Club is a Scottish football club with proud Irish links. The primary business of Celtic is as a football club. It is run on a professional business basis with no political agenda. However, the Club has a wider role and the responsibility of being a major Scottish social institution promoting health, well-being and social integration.”

It’s a good job our sport is football because the goal posts seem to be moved with increasing regularity by this “major Scottish social institution”. The booing of the 1 minute silence by Celtic fans following the death of HRH The Queen Mother was “justified” as a “political statement”. The singing of IRA songs by supporters of Celtic FC was excused by Liarwell as “Political rather than sectarian”.

“No political agenda” ???

Parkhead is like the Island of Gruinard – except it’s not anthrax which chokes and suffocates anything of good which tries to sprout.....but the bitter cancer of sectarianism at its epitome.

Don’t let them fool you either....this has nothing to do with the club’s Irish identity...there are plenty of Southern Irish who are proud to adorn a poppy. Just have a look at your tv screen...there are plenty of Southern Irish who are more than comfortable to proudly display a poppy.

There is a hatred which is unique to those who associate themselves with Celtic FC. It is warped, it is irrational, poisonous and cancerous and manifests itself with actions such as the banning of the poppy which opened this post.

Scotland will continue to ignore it at its peril. Shame on those who do.

We are talking about the same club who could not even bring themselves to respect a minute silence last year to remember our fallen. Remind me did someone REALLY say “Scottish social institution” ?????

Even for Miracle Gro....Parkhead proves to be a........ Bridge Too Far.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Despicable and disgusting. The only words I have right now to describe them.

And in all honesty Ted...those words dont really do it justice.

Few ( if any) do.

But they seem to be adept at managing to scrape considerably lower than the bottle of the barrel.

The majority of kids at my school support either Hearts or Hibs primarily, but if you ask them who they want to win an Old Firm game, invariably its them. I hope they see this and are disgusted, especially the Jambos who contributed massively to the war effort in WW1.

If not, it makes beating the great unwashed even sweeter :crabflute:

Disgusting indeed. This must be the only 'organization' that does this. A British Football Team? Clearly not. My Uncle and Cousin have served. I would have, but far too old now.

D'Art. What is the source of this outrageous claim?

The news that Celtic FC have banned the selling of poppies at Parkhead

I trust you. It just seems so far fetched even for 'them'?

D'Art - I was speaking with a guy in the Canadian RAF yesterday and he says the poppy represents all Commonwealth countries' fallen soldiers.

I'd never heard it described as such before - is this right enough?

Absolutely.

It is worn in every country...the only place it appears not to be adorned is Parkhead. That major Scottish social intitution.

Disgusting indeed. This must be the only 'organization' that does this. A British Football Team? Clearly not. My Uncle and Cousin have served. I would have, but far too old now.

D'Art. What is the source of this outrageous claim?

I trust you. It just seems so far fetched even for 'them'?

By Siobhan McFadyen ( Notw )

Celtic have banned a charity from selling poppies at Parkhead for Remembrance Sunday .

Now fund-raisers are hoping that hoops chairman John Reid - former defence Secretary - will overturn the ruling.

The ban follows protests by supporters who claim poppies are " hugely insensitive " to Irish fans.

The Poppy Appeal,with its 48 member charities,helps raise millions for war veterans injured in active service.

A charity insider said : " We've never been turned away by any of the big clubs and we find it shocking that Celtic would implement this ban " .

Our welfare work is a lifeline for thousands.We hope Mr Reid will reconsider ".

About 100 fans walked out of a match in 2008 when players wore poppies on their shirts.

But most of the 50,000 fans joined a one-minute round of applause to mark the anniversary of the end of WWI.

A Celtic spokesman said " We don't do collections in the grounds for anything "

Absolutely.

It is worn in every country...the only place it appears not to be adorned is Parkhead. That major Scottish social intitution.

This is interesting because Ireland withdrew from the Commonwealth on 18 April 1949.

Would that have been the Republic of Ireland only, or the whole of Ireland?

This is interesting because Ireland withdrew from the Commonwealth on 18 April 1949.

Would that have been the Republic of Ireland only, or the whole of Ireland?

I would imagine Booler that you dont need to be in the Commonwealth to remember or honour the fallen. Take parts of Belgium for example...they remember the fallen every single night. Particularly moving and something I would identifiy with.

I would imagine Booler that you dont need to be in the Commonwealth to remember or honour the fallen. Take parts of Belgium for example...they remember the fallen every single night. Particularly moving and something I would identifiy with.

Totally agree, I'd just never heard the poppy being associated with the Commonwealth before, and especially as it came from a Canadian Armed Forces guy.

PS I did enlighten him on the "other lots" feelings on the poppy - thats how we got round to discussing it - he was shocked and surprised.

I'll just copy and paste what I said on a similar thread in the OT.

I honestly don't give a f**k about them! They can do what they want as long as it doesn't involve me.

Since I have been on this forum it seems we are getting just as bad as them in regards to being obsessed! The amount of threads about them has been a joke, if I wanted to read and speak about them I'd be on THEIR forums.

If they don't want to wear poppies then that is their choice..they will just show themselves up once again to the whole of the UK.

At the end of the day we don't need threads for everything they do..WE ARE NOT MOPES LIKE THEM :crabflute:

Because it highlights perfectly the bravery of a few and the disgrace of many.

Yes but gloating about it is just as bad. It seems to me like you are trying to pointscore over remembrance day and poppies which I think is the wrong thing to do.

The last thing on my mind when it comes upto this time of the year is what they are doing.

We have to be careful not to tar all Celtic fans with the same brush though; it must be remembered that there will be a lot of Celtic fans who will choose to wear the poppy at Parkhead and elsewhere, even if it was bought somewhere other than the ground.

Having said that, I have nothing but contempt for those who refuse to wear the poppy; they really need some sort of history lesson.

They tar us with the same brush though don't they?

The OP was more about the club , not support anyway.

Yes but gloating about it is just as bad. It seems to me like you are trying to pointscore over remembrance day and poppies which I think is the wrong thing to do.

The last thing on my mind when it comes upto this time of the year is what they are doing.

If you don't like it mate , then stay off the thread. Simples.