Real boss Jose Mourinho denies humiliation by Barcelona

mmrfc1873

Real boss Jose Mourinho denies humiliation by Barcelona

Mourinho had no answers as Barcelona tore his Madrid team apart

Real Madrid boss Jose Mourinho denied his team were humiliated by Barcelona after a 5-0 thumping at the Camp Nou.

Champions Barca were in scintillating form as they swept aside Madrid in Mourinho's first El Clasico in charge.

"One team played to their potential and one didn't," said Mourinho. "Loss, yes - humiliation, no. It was a defeat we deserved, we just weren't good enough.

"I have spoken to my players and I told them the season has not ended. Who knows what can still happen this year?"

Barca played some majestic football with Xavi opening the scoring, Pedro doubling the lead, David Villa netting twice and substitute Jeffren finishing things off at the end, with Lionel Messi heavily involved in much of their play.

Mourinho, who had never before suffered even a four-goal loss as a professional football manager, said the 90 minutes did not show Madrid's true colours.

"I don't think you can say it reflected the difference between the two sides," added Real's Portuguese coach after his side suffered their first competitive defeat of the season. "Also, the championship isn't over today.

"We are two points behind the leaders but there are lots of games left to play. We have to show character, train hard and get back to winning. I wish we were playing tomorrow.

"You have to have character - when you lose by five goals you can't leave crying, you have to go and work harder. You never want to lose by these numbers."

Real midfielder Xabi Alonso echoed his manager's belief that the defeat would not have a decisive impact on the destination of the title.

"We didn't expect a game like this but there's a lot of the season left and this isn't over," said the former Liverpool midfielder. "Barcelona made things a lot easier for themselves by scoring the first so early and then getting the second quickly.

"It's been very difficult. We have to learn from the mistakes we've made."

Barcelona coach Pep Guardiola, who won his fifth Clasico in a row since becoming manager, said he was delighted to see his team play at their best in front of a global television audience thought to be about 400 million.

"We are proud because the world has seen us play the way we like to play," said Guardiola.

Just as before the game nothing was lost, now neither have we won anything

Barcelona's David Villa

"I would like to take more points from Madrid but it's not possible. That team, with all that power, are just two points behind, but we are satisfied."

Striker Villa, playing in his first Clasico since signing for Barca from Valencia in the summer, was on cloud nine after his second-half goals helped Barca to their biggest win in the fixture since 1994.

"It's been a very important win," said the Spanish international. "We looked for the victory and we got it. And the result and the manner in which we achieved it, you cannot ask for more.

"We are two points clear but we need to continue working hard, we are only in November. Just as before the game nothing was lost, now neither have we won anything. We have an advantage but we need to continue working."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/europe/9240329.stm

"I don't think you can say it reflected the difference between the two sides"

I'm pretty sure that's exactly what it reflects Jose. Almost Lennon-esque comment there.

Well maybe wee Lemmon's got something afterall, agreed, that sounds like the kind of thing he'd say after a 5-0 drubbing :lol:

was always going to happen , well done the Special One ( Guardiola that is)

had a read on the bbc and there was a corker from an engerland man saying Barcas bubble will burst as they have borrowed to build that team and they will crumble soon enough (irony) yet little does he understand that at one point last night 9 out of 11 were from tjhe youth team ......