The "I'm a Bluenose!" £25 Contest

Canadaready

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

May not be quite perfect but a fair bit of thought has obciously gone in and the end product is terrific. :21:

Thank you once again mate! All donations gratefully accepted :beer1::lol:

BTW...Where abouts in Newcastle are you?

Not quite Newcastle, a small place called Medowie in Port Stephens near newcastle airport.

Yea mate! I know where it is...the wife has got prick relations who have just moved there, as he is at Williamtown RAAF base.

Yea mate! I know where it is...the wife has got prick relations who have just moved there, as he is at Williamtown RAAF base.

Yep a lot of raffies here. My son in law is one and was at Williamtown until a couple of weeks ago. Has been posted to the states along with my two grandchildren and my daughter for three years.

Yep a lot of raffies here. My son in law is one and was at Williamtown until a couple of weeks ago. Has been posted to the states along with my two grandchildren and my daughter for three years.

They sure know how to move them around mate! it makes it kinda hard to see the grandkids grow up...and I thought it was bad enough when mine are 4 hours drive away from us.

They sure know how to move them around mate! it makes it kinda hard to see the grandkids grow up...and I thought it was bad enough when mine are 4 hours drive away from us.

Sure does, but at least these days we can keep contact with them on Skype at least on a weekly basis. But we will miss them all.

Sure does, but at least these days we can keep contact with them on Skype at least on a weekly basis. But we will miss them all.

yea. Technology is a wonderful thing. Long gone are the old days where I had to wait 3 months for a football report being sent to Australia.

I sat and thought of how I could best put my feelings into why this club means so much to me and other guys of the older vintage,like minstral, nvager and a few others on here of our era. It came to me as I remembered a discussion I had with nvager about a game way back in the early 1950's at Broomfield where both of us were at the game, but never met...And here we were talking about it on RM over 50 yrs later with Alex living in the United States and me at the other end of the world in Australia, so this is what I came up with.

Why I am a Bluenose

Remember that day so long ago, when you first walked through those gates with your Dad

with your blue scarf on and rosette pinned on your coat, you sure were a proud wee lad.

That day shaped the way you would grow up through the years, as you followed your team with great pride

for the journey began and has swept you along as it has done with others, who would cheer by your side.

As the team took the field your head almost burst, as a massive roar erupted from that cavernous bowl

and your Dad said to you; that's Willie Thornton out there and he's going to score us a goal.

They looked just like giants in that beautiful Blue, as I sat on my dads shoulders up high

to watch Gods with a ball, named Waddell,Hubbard and Cox... I'll remember it till the day that I die.

Names swirl in my head never forgotten by time, like a breeze blowing on a deserts sandy floor

Meiklejohn- Shearer,Woodburn and Greig... Laudrup-Morton,Baxter-McCoist and so many more.

Old Ibrox Park as it was known in those days, has seen both joy and tragedy many times in our past

but those red sandstone walls stand firm through it all, with our flag flying high and proud from the mast.

Generations before me have trod those same steps, through the wind and the snow and the rain

to support an invisible presence that wraps us in Blue, with an aura that we just can't explain.

No decision is made to follow that legendary cause, for it happens without us knowing at all

as we are chosen, you see, by an unexplained force... to forever be strong and stand tall.

Every day that we breathe brings forth unplanned obstacles new, that leaves us a challenge to face

that's when we have to remember the words of Bill Struth... that we lead and we welcome the chase.

For never truer words have been spoken that sums up who we are, and this feeling we have in our heart

where no matter the struggle or where it comes from, we will fight as Brothers never standing apart.

Remember our absent friends who are not with us today, but whos memory will remain through the years

as we look at that stadium that is a tribute to their lives,we silently cry for them with eyes full of tears.

No surrender! was the cry that I heard that day, as a boy with my Blue scarf waving high all around

I smiled at my Dad as they all sang our songs when the game was won and we left that hallowed ground.

So many years have passed bye but it's as clear as a bell, that my life changed on that distant day

to become one of the chosen that stand proudly and sing, to support our great club all the way,

From Glasgow to Sydney, from Aberdeen to Berlin, from Madrid to that lovely wee town of Montrose

I'd walk all these miles to see the team that I love, that's why I'm a proud to be called a Bluenose!

Simply outstanding

I sat and thought of how I could best put my feelings into why this club means so much to me and other guys of the older vintage,like minstral, nvager and a few others on here of our era. It came to me as I remembered a discussion I had with nvager about a game way back in the early 1950's at Broomfield where both of us were at the game, but never met...And here we were talking about it on RM over 50 yrs later with Alex living in the United States and me at the other end of the world in Australia, so this is what I came up with.

Why I am a Bluenose

Remember that day so long ago, when you first walked through those gates with your Dad

with your blue scarf on and rosette pinned on your coat, you sure were a proud wee lad.

That day shaped the way you would grow up through the years, as you followed your team with great pride

for the journey began and has swept you along as it has done with others, who would cheer by your side.

As the team took the field your head almost burst, as a massive roar erupted from that cavernous bowl

and your Dad said to you; that's Willie Thornton out there and he's going to score us a goal.

They looked just like giants in that beautiful Blue, as I sat on my dads shoulders up high

to watch Gods with a ball, named Waddell,Hubbard and Cox... I'll remember it till the day that I die.

Names swirl in my head never forgotten by time, like a breeze blowing on a deserts sandy floor

Meiklejohn- Shearer,Woodburn and Greig... Laudrup-Morton,Baxter-McCoist and so many more.

Old Ibrox Park as it was known in those days, has seen both joy and tragedy many times in our past

but those red sandstone walls stand firm through it all, with our flag flying high and proud from the mast.

Generations before me have trod those same steps, through the wind and the snow and the rain

to support an invisible presence that wraps us in Blue, with an aura that we just can't explain.

No decision is made to follow that legendary cause, for it happens without us knowing at all

as we are chosen, you see, by an unexplained force... to forever be strong and stand tall.

Every day that we breathe brings forth unplanned obstacles new, that leaves us a challenge to face

that's when we have to remember the words of Bill Struth... that we lead and we welcome the chase.

For never truer words have been spoken that sums up who we are, and this feeling we have in our heart

where no matter the struggle or where it comes from, we will fight as Brothers never standing apart.

Remember our absent friends who are not with us today, but whos memory will remain through the years

as we look at that stadium that is a tribute to their lives,we silently cry for them with eyes full of tears.

No surrender! was the cry that I heard that day, as a boy with my Blue scarf waving high all around

I smiled at my Dad as they all sang our songs when the game was won and we left that hallowed ground.

So many years have passed bye but it's as clear as a bell, that my life changed on that distant day

to become one of the chosen that stand proudly and sing, to support our great club all the way,

From Glasgow to Sydney, from Aberdeen to Berlin, from Madrid to that lovely wee town of Montrose

I'd walk all these miles to see the team that I love, that's why I'm a proud to be called a Bluenose!

:praise: :praise:

Outstanding Oz.

:praise: :praise:

Outstanding Oz.

Thanks Ben...I'm glad you liked it. I could have done a lot better if I'd not rushed it. but it's not what I think...it's what others think.

If you like it, it'll do me, young fella! (tu)

Why I am a Bluenose

Well OZ all I can say is I am proud of your post and just wish we had met as youngsters at Broomfield that day in the 50's when Rangers came back from 4-1 down if I remember correctly to win 5-4 and I/We saw Johnny Hubbard score with one of his penalties that went in slow motion into the one corner as the goalie dived in the opposite direction. It was hell to watch that ball go so slowly. How he got all those g'keepers to dive the wrong way I will never know.

I was going to post something, but dont think I can outdo you you old Bassa! If I think something up I will post it later, but congratulations on a magnificent post.

Well OZ all I can say is I am proud of your post and just wish we had met as youngsters at Broomfield that day in the 50's when Rangers came back from 4-1 down if I remember correctly to win 5-4 and I/We saw Johnny Hubbard score with one of his penalties that went in slow motion into the one corner as the goalie dived in the opposite direction. It was hell to watch that ball go so slowly. How he got all those g'keepers to dive the wrong way I will never know.

I was going to post something, but dont think I can outdo you you old Bassa! If I think something up I will post it later, but congratulations on a magnificent post.

I think we did win 5-4 in the end,nvager...But maybe one of our fellow "Auld heids" could chime in with some memories of that one, or maybe young Samuel can delve into his History books and get the facts.

Johnny Hubbard was a freak and I have no idea how he bamboozled keepers at penalties,but he did it all the time. He took 57 penalties in his Rangers career and scored with 54 of them (23 consecutive)

Thanks for the congrats mate, but I'd be disappointed if you (and others of our era) didn't post your thoughts about what being a Bluenose means to you.

I look forward to reading it,mate! (tu)

I think we did win 5-4 in the end,nvager...But maybe one of our fellow "Auld heids" could chime in with some memories of that one, or maybe young Samuel can delve into his History books and get the facts.

Johnny Hubbard was a freak and I have no idea how he bamboozled keepers at penalties,but he did it all the time. He took 57 penalties in his Rangers career and scored with 54 of them (23 consecutive)

Thanks for the congrats mate, but I'd be disappointed if you (and others of our era) didn't post your thoughts about what being a Bluenose means to you.

I look forward to reading it,mate! (tu)

Ozblue we lost the game to Airdrie 5-4 and it was 1958-59 season when Hubbard scored 3 goals one of which was a penalty. Our other goal was scored by Hogg.

Ozblue we lost the game to Airdrie 5-4 and it was 1958-59 season when Hubbard scored 3 goals one of which was a penalty. Our other goal was scored by Hogg.

Thanks for that,minstral (tu)

My memory goes a bit haywire at times these days when I try to remember all the games stretching back to the 1950's.

That 1958-59 game must have been the one where I got into severe trouble off the Airdrie left winger,Tommy Duncan (who was my football coach) who caught me giving them pelters and then wearing my Rangers scarf to school on the following Monday doh

I think it was about the only time I regretted being a Rangers supporter :lol:

Thanks for that info mate (tu)

BTW! Did you remember all that off the top of your head or did you get it from a programme?

Thanks for that,minstral (tu)

My memory goes a bit haywire at times these days when I try to remember all the games stretching back to the 1950's.

That 1958-59 game must have been the one where I got into severe trouble off the Airdrie left winger,Tommy Duncan (who was my football coach) who caught me giving them pelters and then wearing my Rangers scarf to school on the following Monday doh

I think it was about the only time I regretted being a Rangers supporter :lol:

Thanks for that info mate (tu)

BTW! Did you remember all that off the top of your head or did you get it from a programme?

Oz i got it from a book i have, and by the way your post is top class which deserves to win the prize. (tu)

Oz i got it from a book i have, and by the way your post is top class which deserves to win the prize. (tu)

Nice of you to say that mate! but there are some very good entries in there which I enjoyed reading.

I wrote that with all the auld heids from RM in mind, as I think we of that era are the luckiest of ALL the Rangers fans in our proud history, as we have seen so many changes in football, since the days of leather studs you hammered into your boots that were like pit boots...the auld ball with the pigs bladder and laces...long baggy pants...woolen jumpers...rule changes...massive changes in the stadium...and not to mention the style of football and the footballers we have been priviliged to see over the years.

I just hope that anybody who reads my entry can imagine what it was like in those days and enjoy my little bit of reminiscing.

Nice of you to say that mate! but there are some very good entries in there which I enjoyed reading.

I wrote that with all the auld heids from RM in mind, as I think we of that era are the luckiest of ALL the Rangers fans in our proud history, as we have seen so many changes in football, since the days of leather studs you hammered into your boots that were like pit boots...the auld ball with the pigs bladder and laces...long baggy pants...woolen jumpers...rule changes...massive changes in the stadium...and not to mention the style of football and the footballers we have been privelaged to see over the years.

I just hope that anybody who reads my entry can imagine what it was like in those days and enjoy my little bit of reminiscing.

In my eyes we had the best years of our lives supporting our club back in those days, and would not swap those years for anything.

I started supporting Rangers around 1954 when I was 7 years old. My grandad and or my dad used to take me to the games. When I got a little older in my early teens a friend and I went all

around Scotland supporting the Rangers. I used to get mad at my Dad and threw a tantrum if he did not get me tickets for the European games. Ill or not with cold/flu - I had to go. I am talking about when I was at Primary/Secondary School too!

He never let me down although sometimes they were pretty damn hard to get. Heck what did I know I was a kid and Rangers meant everything to me.

Like my buddy OzBlue, I have been supporting Rangers since about 1954. My wife says I am still a kid at 63 with all the time I spend on RM here in the USA and the time spent composing/making the” We Are The Rangers CD” – see our Home Page if you want a copy. It was well worth it as I enjoy the songs and after I am long gone they will still be here.

For you Oz and all the others on RM:

Why I am a Bluenose

Blue – my favourite colour. Rangers blue that is. From the days when I was in the Primary School football team I had my Rangers jersey or a replica of it. We played in the parks, streets, backcourts, fields etc in those days with jackets as goalposts if necessary. I was always in the “Rangers” team.

Legends – Seen many of them from 1954 on. Young, McColl. Baird, Simpson, Hubbard, Maxie Murray etc, era , on to the great team of Niven, Shearer Caldow, etc. right through to present day. The older Bears will also remember the Ibrox Sports just before the start of each new season. I as a kid took a penalty against the legendary Jerry Dawson! He saved it!

Us – All the Bluenoses/Bears together! We were born to support the greatest team on the planet. We are a unique family and the sole reason for RM and other message boards. What other support could take a family of 200,000+ to a Cup Final? None! WATP!!

Ever ready! We will follow everywhere, we will follow on - and wouldn’t Dublin be nice this Summer!! Remember generations of bears have gone before us and generations will follow in our footsteps. Be proud like me, Oz, Minstral and many others to be a bluenose. Some will try and abuse you for it but stand tall. These people are jealous of our success. Roll on #54!

No surrender! This is the spirit of the team and the support. Despite all the mhedia bashing and the lack of money this past several seasons the support has never wavered. Nor me as I have continued to support them now for 56 years! Many more too I hope. See my Pregame Analysis for upcoming matches!

Over the years the many memories of great times at Ibrox and elsewhere supporting Rangers – also a great weekend in Sarnia with Canadaready and Coopermania who I hope is well. The many great players we saw in the Rangers teams and in the opposition teams. The many great managers we have had and the fantastic amount of debate over management, teams and tactics over the years. The growth of RM and the characters involved.

Sadness recently, when remembering the fallen 40 years ago at Ibrox. I was there and was one of the lucky ones.

Each one of us has special memories of certain Rangers games. One of mines is one game circa 1963 at Parkhead when due to the crush of the crowd outside the ground I was forced to enter the Celtic end to watch the game. Ist half it was all Celtic but no score. Even game in the second half, but then wee Willie Henderson broke loose in the last minute and scored the winning goal. At least I remember it being him. Pandemonium broke loose in the Celtic end. I have never seen such pure hatred and never been so scared in all my life. My Rangers scarf was in my pocket. If it had been seen I was dead. So glad to get home! It made me realize just how much they hate us. They really do.

I started supporting Rangers around 1954 when I was 7 years old. My grandad and or my dad used to take me to the games. When I got a little older in my early teens a friend and I went all

around Scotland supporting the Rangers. I used to get mad at my Dad and threw a tantrum if he did not get me tickets for the European games. Ill or not with cold/flu - I had to go. I am talking about when I was at Primary/Secondary School too!

He never let me down although sometimes they were pretty damn hard to get. Heck what did I know I was a kid and Rangers meant everything to me.

Like my buddy OzBlue, I have been supporting Rangers since about 1954. My wife says I am still a kid at 63 with all the time I spend on RM here in the USA and the time spent composing/making the” We Are The Rangers CD” – see our Home Page if you want a copy. It was well worth it as I enjoy the songs and after I am long gone they will still be here.

Why I am a Bluenose

Blue – my favourite colour. Rangers blue that is. From the days when I was in the Primary School football team I had my Rangers jersey or a replica of it. We played in the parks, streets, backcourts, fields etc in those days with jackets as goalposts if necessary. I was always in the “Rangers” team.

Legends – Seen many of them from 1954 on. Young, McColl. Baird, Simpson, Hubbard, Maxie Murray etc, era , on to the great team of Niven, Shearer Caldow, etc. right through to present day. The older Bears will also remember the Ibrox Sports just before the start of each new season. I as a kid took a penalty against the legendary Jerry Dawson! He saved it!

Us – All the Bluenoses/Bears together! We were born to support the greatest team on the planet. We are a unique family and the sole reason for RM and other message boards. What other support could take a family of 200,000+ to a Cup Final? None! WATP!!

Ever ready! We will follow everywhere, we will follow on - and wouldn’t Dublin be nice this Summer!! Remember generations of bears have gone before us and generations will follow in our footsteps. Be proud like me, Oz, Minstral and many others to be a bluenose. Some will try and abuse you for it but stand tall. These people are jealous of our success. Roll on #54!

No surrender! This is the spirit of the team and the support. Despite all the mhedia bashing and the lack of money this past several seasons the support has never wavered. Nor me as I have continued to support them now for 56 years! Many more too I hope. See my Pregame Analysis for upcoming matches!

Over the years the many memories of great times at Ibrox and elsewhere supporting Rangers – also a great weekend in Sarnia with Canadaready and Coopermania who I hope is well. The many great players we saw in the Rangers teams and in the opposition teams. The many great managers we have had and the fantastic amount of debate over management, teams and tactics over the years. The growth of RM and the characters involved.

Sadness recently, when remembering the fallen 40 years ago at Ibrox. I was there and was one of the lucky ones.

Each one of us has special memories of certain Rangers games. One of mines is one game circa 1963 at Parkhead when due to the crush of the crowd outside the ground I was forced to enter the Celtic end to watch the game. Ist half it was all Celtic but no score. Even game in the second half, but then wee Willie Henderson broke loose in the last minute and scored the winning goal. At least I remember it being him. Pandemonium broke loose in the Celtic end. I have never seen such pure hatred and never been so scared in all my life. My Rangers scarf was in my pocket. If it had been seen I was dead. So glad to get home! It made me realize just how much they hate us. They really do.

Another fantastic post Nvager. (tu)

Why I am a Bluenose

Brilliant entry,nvager...I salute you :clap::praise::clap::praise:

I've read every entry and each and every one of them makes me proud to be part of this family that has been imbibed in the Rangers traditions that have carried us proudly through the years, but I think nvager's entry slightly shades it as the best.

Just my opinion,of course! :pipe:

Brilliant entry,nvager...I salute you :clap::praise::clap::praise:

I've read every entry and each and every one of them makes me proud to be part of this family that has been imbibed in the Rangers traditions that have carried us proudly through the years, but I think nvager's entry slightly shades it as the best.

Just my opinion,of course! :pipe:

Joint winners Ozblue and Nvager. :)(tu)

Joint winners Ozblue and Nvager. :)(tu)

I'm not allowed to comment on that one, minstral...I'm forbidden by law to say anything that would influence the judge's decision :lol:

Seriously, there are some excellent entries in there, but the question must be asked....Where's yours, auld fella? :pipe: