Which is the right formation?

DarcheVinny

Following on from discussion in todays match thread vs Killie, I thought this would be a good area to look at.

Now to start with, I have no definitive answer. I think we should be utilising all of the above to suit our needs, in terms of who is available and also depending on who we are playing and where.

First 4-4-2.

For me, this is what should be used against all domestic teams at Ibrox apart from our title rivals from the dark side. I won't go in too much as to who plays where but we should be seeing at least one player on the park to simply hug the touchline. We have Weiss and Wylde as obvious choices, but played on they're strongest side (yes, i mean Weiss with this one) in order to provide the strikers with the best service. With regards to strikers, we don't have a partnership anymore. But should still be seeing a pairing that will cause the most danger to the opposition, this obviously differs from game to game. But I'd commit to Jelavic and another, from Lafferty, Diouf, Fleck and Healy. I wouldn't have Edu in this formation. At the moment I think he's holding back Dayvo's creative side as he has to go back doing more of a box to box role, rather than pulling the strings. With McCulloch out, I would have Ness or Hutton before Edu in this formation. The rest pick themselves.

The much maligned 5-4-1.

In Europe, no one can have any arguments here. Versus the dark side, I said in todays match thread I'm confused as to why it doesn't work versus them. Perfectly solid and at time inpenetrable in Europe, why not versus them? I'll admit though, I'm forgetting this isn't just like any other game. Very easy for players to lose their focus on the instruction they have been given. So I will retract what I said earlier by saying 5-4-1 is what should be working against them. It doesn't seem to matter who fills in where, this works for 0-0 or 1-0 hopefully this coming Thursday.

3-5-2.

I think this one can work away from home domestically, at times where 4-4-2 might be too predictable for the opposition. CBs can be Boughy, Bartley and Papac. Wing backs can be chosen form Whitty, Foster and Wylde. I think Edu can come in to this now with Hutton or Ness in box to box or holding roles. Dayvo needs to be set free and allowed to dictate out attacking play, that is what he is best at. Again Jelavic and another could be chosen depending on what opposing defenders we come up against. There's no reason this can't be a solid yet attacking formation. The three at the back give the solid aspect, like we saw in the first half and majority of game today. No real threat from Killie until we started looking for the winner. The wing backs need to stretch the opposition, make plenty of room for Dayvo to supply the strikers and whoever is joining in the attack. The problem we saw today was having Papac as a wing back, he does like to get forward, but it's a saunter rather than direct touchline play I want to see to make this formation work in the attacking way I think it should.

4-1-4-1

This is the one I now think should be used for playing the rivals from the dark side, despite today stating 5-4-1. Too defensive like past three games vs them, it's played in to their hands. I'd have an anchor in midfield rather than 5 at the back. Gives the rest of the midfield more time to dictate the game, rather than just having the mindset to defend and then break out. Should allow us to play further up the field as midfielders know the anchorman is there to sit and mop up breaks in play. I would also have two wingers on for this, from Wylde, Weiss or Lafferty. Definitely Jelavic the main man. Playing with two wingers will keep them at bay and create room when we attack for Dayvo to pull strings again. Gives us more pace to support the striker too, far too slow in getting forward, especially in that cup game. Very easy to become a flat four in midfield when they have the ball.

With the squad we have available, we should be seeing all of these formations in the right situation. They all have their benefits. Walter likes versatility in his players, so lets see some versatility in his formation. Even if it means changing after 10 minutes of a game.

Could have been viewed as the right formation today, if it had been implemented in the right way. I was happy at half time but as the game changed it took long to see a change of formation, when it was obvious 4-4-2 should have been adopted. Even before they got the penalty. We saw it eventually and got the winner as we all let off an almighty 'phew'.

Which would you use and when?

unfortunately we dont have the players available for a proper 4-4-2

we have one REAL fullback and he's not even ours, papac gets caught inside too often and whittaker just cannot defend, we havent had a proper fullback since hutton and smith, guys that hug the touchline as you say

we also dont have any actual wide mids, apart from, again, someone that isnt ours, we havent got anyone that can take on a fullback and whip in a cross

our team is far too narrow, and thats something that needs to be addressed long before mccoist takes his first league game next season

edit to add:

i would use a sweeper system right now purely because we wont drop weir

.................................mcgregor

Broadfoot......bougherra.....Bartley.....papac

Weiss...........Davis........ness.........wylde

...........................Naismith/diouf

...............................jelavic

Unleash Weiss and wylde

You can't cope with pace and they will tear teams to shreds

If we must play a 3-5-2 and it sure looks like thats the way Walter wants to go now, then we need much pacier wing backs. I guess Foster is ok, but I'd rather see Whittaker on the left side and Papac in the middle. Of course we all know that want happen and we're wasting our breath even discussing it because there is only 1 reason we're playing the 3-5-2 and thats to accomodate Davie Weir. It doesnt nessecarily have to be a defensive formation but with us it definately will be. If it wins us the league, then it wins us the league and right now thats really all I care about.

:mcgregor:

:whittaker: :bougherra: :bartley: :papac:

:weiss: :davis: :ness: :diouf:

:Naismith:

:jelavic:

We should be playing this team in every league game.

Even today you replace ness with hutton, and naismith with healy.

Why cant walter smith see that?

Guest therabbitt

Darche - I'm going to post this as an article tomorrow, cool?

I think the 5 at the back is here to stay for the foreseeable future if I'm honest. A matter of us needing to have a shore back line in order to try to not concede. So, because of that, I'll leave it there. What about this...

McGregor

Bartley Weir Bougherra

Whittaker Papac

Hutton Davis

Weiss Wylde

Jelavic

Guest therabbitt

Ok that didn't work, Whittaker and Papac are in as wing backs. Weiss and Wylde providing speed and width either side of Jelavic. A discussion piece formation, nothing more...

I think the 5 at the back is here to stay for the foreseeable future if I'm honest. A matter of us needing to have a shore back line in order to try to not concede. So, because of that, I'll leave it there. What about this...

McGregor

Bartley Weir Bougherra

Whittaker Papac

Hutton Davis

Weiss Wylde

Jelavic

is weir in there as your choice or simply acknowledging he will always be in walters team?

i think in that formation, i would be going for

McGregor

Bougherra Bartley Papac

Whittaker McCulloch Davis Wylde

Weiss Naismith

Jelavic