David Moyes eyes future role for David Weir at Everton

Broxi1872

David Moyes eyes future role for David Weir at Everton

Weir played for Moyes at Everton before joining Rangers

Manager David Moyes would welcome Rangers captain David Weir back to Everton in a coaching capacity.

The 40-year-old is out of contract at Ibrox in the summer but has hinted at playing on next season.

"I would love to have him back at Everton as part of my staff in the future, if he's interested," Moyes told BBC Radio Scotland.

"He's a great professional and someone who all the players at Everton and Rangers should look up to."

Weir, who played under Moyes at Goodison Park before his switch to Rangers in 2007, lifted the Co-operative Insurance Cup on Sunday.

And the veteran defender turned in an assured display throughout a gruelling 120 minutes as Rangers beat Celtic 2-1 after extra time.

"I thought last year he would probably call it a day," said Moyes, who analysed the game for BBC One Scotland's television coverage.

"He may only have 10 or 12 weeks to go as a player. But on that performance, he's doing great and I think Davie will know best when the time comes."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/r/rangers/9431346.stm

He's one of those players that should evolve into a good coach then manager. He's someone i'll always have my eye on to see if he does well therefore be linked to a future role at Ibrox in either the senior coaching position then manager.

He's one of those players that should evolve into a good coach then manager. He's someone i'll always have my eye on to see if he does well therefore be linked to a future role at Ibrox in either the senior coaching position then manager.