I suffered final-day heartache last year, I CAN’T go through that agian

I suffered final-day heartache last year, I CAN’T go through that agian

By ROBERT MARTIN

Published: Today

Add a comment Add a comment (0)

NIKICA JELAVIC was dreaming of title joy 12 months ago as the last game of the season kicked off in Austria.

But 90 minutes later he was gutted after seeing his glory bid die.

Now the striker wants Rangers to take the SPL race to the wire - and has told his team-mates he doesn't want another pre-season filled with final-day regrets.

Jelavic said: "I was involved in a similar situation to this one with Rapid Vienna. But it didn't go our way and unfortunately we didn't win the title.

"On the last day of the season three teams had a chance of taking the championship.

"It was the first time that had happened in Austria for ten years.

"Red Bull Salzburg were the leaders and we had to win and hope they lost.

"Austria Vienna also had a chance and they were hoping for the same thing.

"We won our game, but so did Red Bull, so they were the champions. We ended up finishing third.

"I just hope this year the same thing does not happen and that WE can win the title.

"Celtic have four games and if they win them all they are the champions.

"But it will be interesting to see what happens if the race goes to the last day.

"We still believe we can win the title. We have to see if Celtic make a mistake.

"We know we could win our last three games and get nine points and it may not be enough. But it would be a great achievement if we went on to win it.

"Rangers have won the last two titles and are on the verge of three in a row, so Celtic are motivated.

"But there is pressure on them because they need to win all their games."

Jelavic does have a title medal having played a part in Hadjuk Spilt's success in Croatia in 2005.

But he insists winning the league with Rangers would beat any glory he has enjoyed so far. The 25-year-old rates Gers' Co-op Cup win over Celtic last month as his best gong so far.

But he admits picking up the SPL trophy would be an even better feeling.

He said: "Winning the SPL would be the greatest achievement of my career.

"I have already won one trophy with Rangers, now I hope to win a second one.

"I won the league when I was younger with Hadjuk Split. But I was in and out of the side at the time.

"So the Co-op Cup medal was special for me because I felt I earned it.

"And if Rangers win the title I will feel I have earned it and contributed towards it. It would be the first league championship I have deserved to win."

Quantcast

Jelavic has certainly done his bit in recent weeks. His goal against Motherwell on Saturday was his 11th in his last 13 games. But the striker admits it might not be until NEXT season that he hits top form.

The 16-goal ace added: "I was out for three-and-a-half months with a knee injury but since then I've scored important goals.

"I think I can be satisfied in my first season with Rangers.

"There are three more games to go and then the campaign is finished.

"But after a pre-season with the squad I hope to get better and better. And I hope next season I can score even more."

Read more: http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/3559922/I-suffered-final-day-heartache-last-year-I-CANT-go-through-that-agian.html#ixzz1LEz255CO

It would have been nice to have known who'd said it before reading.

Big fan of Jelavic though, the last day may be our only hope but.

It would have been nice to have known who'd said it before reading.

Big fan of Jelavic though, the last day may be our only hope but.

Why does it matter if it's in the actual thread?

With a pre-season behind him, a good striking partner and Naisy making runs into the box as well I think we're going to see a huge goal tally next season, especially if Ally plays the team more attack minded.