Cristiano Ronaldo

I don't see how he "should" be better than Messi on any grounds other than physicality. Messi is a more intelligent and effective player.

Ronaldo is better in the air, quicker, stronger, can ping one in from 30 yards with either foot, better free kick taker, has already proven himself as a world class footballer in 2 major leagues... But the one thing that has always let Ronaldo down is his attitude and work rate. That will be what seperates Messi from Ronaldo.

At 5-0 up Ronaldo would just want to get the ball and go for glory himself but I have seen Messi track back 60 yars to win the ball when the score is 6-0 and in stoppage time.

Spot on, what is more pathetic is the people who make the 'claim' it's outrageous to prefer a Xavi/Iniesta to Ronaldo. Why? Both are outstanding footballers.

Messi has been so incredible over the past few seasons that we've almost come to expect the otherworldly from him, so he has to keep raising his game to keep making our jaws drop, which is difficult, so in a way I find Iniesta a more interesting player now, not because I don't expect much of him but because I expect so much from Messi. Watching him has, for me, turned into just hoping he does something ridiculous to shut up the naysayers, whom I cannot believe still exist but they do, whereas watching Iniesta is just pure enjoyment, like we had in the simpler times before Messi came along and made everybody look like club-footed oafs.