Was anyone in Barcelona?

I am pleased to confirm that I WAS THERE on 24th May 1972. Still got the ticket and a few photos. Was just a student at the time. 11 students, we hired a 12 seater Land Rover and travelled overland (except the Channel !!). We left on the Sunday and arrived back on the following Saturday. Just got home an hour before the Scotland - England game that afternoon. I had a great time in Barcelona. Met some Spanish students in Catalunya Square on afternoon before game and arranged to meet them after match. They took me to a couple of really good clubs. Got back to hotel really late (about 4 am) and had to sleep in the Land Rover. We were treated like heroes because of the way the Guardia Civil had attacked us and then been chased off the park. The locals loved that!!! I could bore you all some more but that would not be fair on you. Suffice to say tomorrow will give me a lump in my throat when I remember that game and the entire trip. In fact, I'm getting goosebumps just now as I type this. We were shafted by UEFA instead of the Spanish police. Our own media didn't help either. There was NO trouble before the game. The park invasion was sheer joy and not one Russian player was harmed in any way. If it hadn't been for Franco's militia there would have been only praise. Even later back in the city and outlying resorts, there was no trouble. The locals being Catalan, they despised Franco's imported thugs in uniform. I went back 2 years later to the Barca tournament (still got those tickets also) where we played Bilbao and Barca. Ajax were the 4th team involved. Barcelona invited Rangers back because of the way things went in 1972. That shows you how they viewed our Club and fans from the ECWC Final.

I am pleased to confirm that I WAS THERE on 24th May 1972. Still got the ticket and a few photos. Was just a student at the time. 11 students, we hired a 12 seater Land Rover and travelled overland (except the Channel !!). We left on the Sunday and arrived back on the following Saturday. Just got home an hour before the Scotland - England game that afternoon. I had a great time in Barcelona. Met some Spanish students in Catalunya Square on afternoon before game and arranged to meet them after match. They took me to a couple of really good clubs. Got back to hotel really late (about 4 am) and had to sleep in the Land Rover. We were treated like heroes because of the way the Guardia Civil had attacked us and then been chased off the park. The locals loved that!!! I could bore you all some more but that would not be fair on you. Suffice to say tomorrow will give me a lump in my throat when I remember that game and the entire trip. In fact, I'm getting goosebumps just now as I type this. We were shafted by UEFA instead of the Spanish police. Our own media didn't help either. There was NO trouble before the game. The park invasion was sheer joy and not one Russian player was harmed in any way. If it hadn't been for Franco's militia there would have been only praise. Even later back in the city and outlying resorts, there was no trouble. The locals being Catalan, they despised Franco's imported thugs in uniform. I went back 2 years later to the Barca tournament (still got those tickets also) where we played Bilbao and Barca. Ajax were the 4th team involved. Barcelona invited Rangers back because of the way things went in 1972. That shows you how they viewed our Club and fans from the ECWC Final.

Funny thing is we never get any credit for standing up to franco's fascist bully boys like we did ... you can be sure if it had been septic it would have been their finest moment blah blah blah :rolleyes:

Great read wish I could have been there too :clap:

game was not shown live on the tv scotland played wales at hampden that same night sfa would not allow live coverage i was 8 listening to game on the radio with my dad hilights were shown after ten my older brother was there still dig him up for not taking me

I was just thinking, when I was at the Killie game,that three of us in the east stand were in Barcelona together.

It also made me think about family members who were there and who are no longer with us.

One our crowd in Barcelona is having an extended holiday in Spain.

I don't know if anyone can remember when the tic were in sevul. They were winding us up about watching the Bill.

Stv took their cameras down to The Lord Nelson. It had been converted into the Sunhill and Minty was dressed as a native of Portugal,He was dancing about singing Porto. That was one of the Barca Boys. :21:

Just about everyone over there was staying at the resorts on the Costa Brava.

Most of these places were not much more than fishing ports back then.

It was an amazing sight. Like going your holidays and everywhere full of Bears.

Long haired Bears back then.

I was just thinking, when I was at the Killie game,that three of us in the east stand were in Barcelona together.

It also made me think about family members who were there and who are no longer with us.

One our crowd in Barcelona is having an extended holiday in Spain.

I don't know if anyone can remember when the tic were in sevul. They were winding us up about watching the Bill.

Stv took their cameras down to The Lord Nelson. It had been converted into the Sunhill and Minty was dressed as a native of Portugal,He was dancing about singing Porto. That was one of the Barca Boys. :21:

Just about everyone over there was staying at the resorts on the Costa Brava.

Most of these places were not much more than fishing ports back then.

It was an amazing sight. Like going your holidays and everywhere full of Bears.

Long haired Bears back then.

how is minty , he used to drink down kp when i was a lot younger

game was not shown live on the tv scotland played wales at hampden that same night sfa would not allow live coverage i was 8 listening to game on the radio with my dad hilights were shown after ten my older brother was there still dig him up for not taking me

I must have been allowed up after 10 at 6yo :ohmy:

I am too young to have been there but my dad and grandfather and a couple of mates more or less drove all the way there and back. My dad still has some pictures of them inside the stadium which i will post sometime.

Fantastic story, I read on an earlier forum (this one I think) about how much respect Puyol had for the Gers fans because of what happened. Was before his time but must still hold legendary status with the Catalans.

Have you still got your bullfight poster, with the Rangers team listed on it?

Never got one of the bullfight posters myself, just the compulsory sombrero but that eventually got the heave some years later.

An earlier post mentioned the pitch invasion but he got it slightly wrong. After Stein's goal, some fans ran on but soon were back in the stands. Second invasion was just a couple of minutes from the end but that was because some people thought the game was over. The actual final whistle is when the real show of joy took place. There was no fighting with anyone at that point. Fans were over at main stand side just celebrating and that is on tape. All the players eventually got off the park and up the tunnel. It was after that when the Spanish police suddenly started laying into everyone with their batons. The fans mostly withdrew at first but when people saw that the police were beating up fans of all ages lying on the ground or having turned their backs, an absolute wave of Gers fans spontaneously charged back at the police and drove them off the park (some even out the stadium). TV footage finished with the Gers fans at the Main Stand side and on the pitch celebrating. The Spanish tv coverage was stopped and then the police began their attack. There is no tv footage of fighting because the Spanish authorities made sure that it was off. They never expected anyone to fight back!! You can bet your last penny that if the Spanish police had evidence that showed us in the wrong they would have done so. They didn't want to show that they started it. UEFA finally saw reason and reduced the Club ban to one year. The one year ban was basically because we invaded the pitch 3 times. There is no evidence of fighting/rioting having occurred before or during the game, nor was there anything after leaving the stadium.

Our hotel was at Tibidabo which was on a hilltop behind Barcelona. There was a funicular railway which connected the place with the outskirts of Barcelona. Some kind of popular basilica there as well not that we went inside (wrong religion).

Ah that possibly explains why I never saw it, only being eight at the time it was passed my bedtime anyway. :(

My old man was there, there's even a pic of him and his mates in the crowd in a book somewhere :lol:

He said the funniest thing was he missed the Yarrow's Shipyard Football Semi-Final to go to Barcelona (he was supposed to be playing for the Welders against the Painters) and after the match when they were running around on the park some Bear ran past shouting 'FUCKING UP YA! THE WELDERS GOT BEAT' :lol:

:lol:

The main railway line ran right through a lot of the Costa Brava towns.

We were in Santa Susanna, near Malgrat. Spent 2 days dodging trains running right alongside the hotels.

No fences, deadly.

Always remember watching tv when we got back, Arthur Montford was on the bus with the team coming back from the airport.

He says to Colin Stein 'how did it feel scoring 2 goals in the final'.

Colin says 'don't know, I only scored one.'

:D