Your feelings towards SDM  

56 members have voted

1. 1. Do you still support him ?

• Yes he has my total support
    • Yes but I am becoming disillusioned
    • Wavering
    • No I am becoming more and more disillusioned
    • I agree with Fish - Murray GTF !

Has my total support. I remember where we were when I was just a lad in the mid 80s. Although Murray wasnt responsible for the beginning of the turnaround, he certainly presided over one of the great periods in the clubs history. And now, smartly, he has realized that the club needs a period of stabalization before we can go further again. So now we are financially sound, with a good management team in place and are ready to once again challenge Celtic for top dog in the country.

I am also a bit iffy about the prospect of going gaga at the first foreign billionaire to promise us the earth. So yes, if he wishes to stay then he has my total support

Frankie, I just read your post asking why he has our/my support. No probs. Firstly, because he is in charge of Rangers, he will ALWAYS have my support, whatever happens.

Secondly for the reasons I stated above, he has, imo, given us a lot. We have watched some amazing players at Ibrox in his term running the ship, think about the players that he signed off on.

I am also grateful that he pulled back on the spending when he did - otherwise we could have been in dire trouble - ok, maybe he shouldn't have put us in that place but how many of you were complaining when the big name players were walking through the door? Well, apart from Mo Johnston, I know a few who werent happy chappies that day.

No, as i said, as long as he wants to stay, he has my vote

bauba:

Thanks for taking the time to articulate your opinion.

I think it's admirable that you still support SDM and I suppose there is still a part of me that has the same opinion that while he's here we should be behind him. Of course that doesn't mean he shouldn't correctly receive criticism.

Furthermore, I'm not sure if you read my post in another thread but the club ins't financially sound as you may think. Yes, we're not £80million in debt (and yes, actually there were some people complaining about the spending at the time) but neither are we comfortable enough to suggest everything in the garden is rosy.

Generally, I feel your support is a bit out of date. Yes, SDM has helped to bring in some legendary players over the years but again that happened 10 years ago. Those legends have been few and far between since. Do we even have any top quality players worthy of the legend tag at the club nowadays?

I also find puzzling your statement about fans going gaga for a foreign billionaire. I have never met any such fans and I don't know of any such person interested. Most fans, like me and probably like you, want a chairman/owner who wants to run the club, has the finance available to match our ambitions and who is committed to a long-term vision of Rangers being the very best in Scotland while expanding our ambitions outwith Scotland.

Does SDM have any of those qualities any more? Even the most ardent of his supporters couldn't answer yes to that going by recent seasons.

That's why many fans are ready for a new owner who can match their ambitions, is committed, does have a long-term vision and does see RFC as a club that should be over-achieving in Europe. Yes, we need to use complete care in who is accepted (and I genuinly hope SDM does that) but there's no doubt a change is over-due. SDM himself accepts it, so the quicker the rest of us do, the better.

He has had his time, in which he has done well for Rangers BUT now is his time to go.

His heart isnt in it anymore and we need an injection of cash that heisnt going to give, the longer he stays the harder it will be to get back, so I'm with FISH

Secondly for the reasons I stated above, he has, imo, given us a lot.

Can I ask a quentions mate...

I don't mean to be cheeky here but because DM has given us a lot, should we stand for him sitting back and give nothing because he has been good in the past ?

We need to look to the future and he is not the man to take us forward.

As for the Club needing stabalisation, why ?

He's a rich, rich man, would it kll him to invest a bit of his own money into the club ?

bauba:

Thanks for taking the time to articulate your opinion.

I think it's admirable that you still support SDM and I suppose there is still a part of me that has the same opinion that while he's here we should be behind him. Of course that doesn't mean he shouldn't correctly receive criticism.

Furthermore, I'm not sure if you read my post in another thread but the club ins't financially sound as you may think. Yes, we're not £80million in debt (and yes, actually there were some people complaining about the spending at the time) but neither are we comfortable enough to suggest everything in the garden is rosy.

Generally, I feel your support is a bit out of date. Yes, SDM has helped to bring in some legendary players over the years but again that happened 10 years ago. Those legends have been few and far between since. Do we even have any top quality players worthy of the legend tag at the club nowadays?

I also find puzzling your statement about fans going gaga for a foreign billionaire. I have never met any such fans and I don't know of any such person interested. Most fans, like me and probably like you, want a chairman/owner who wants to run the club, has the finance available to match our ambitions and who is committed to a long-term vision of Rangers being the very best in Scotland while expanding our ambitions outwith Scotland.

Does SDM have any of those qualities any more? Even the most ardent of his supporters couldn't answer yes to that going by recent seasons.

That's why many fans are ready for a new owner who can match their ambitions, is committed, does have a long-term vision and does see RFC as a club that should be over-achieving in Europe. Yes, we need to use complete care in who is accepted (and I genuinly hope SDM does that) but there's no doubt a change is over-due. SDM himself accepts it, so the quicker the rest of us do, the better.

Yeah, it's a tricky one. I can appreciate how feelings could be mixed on this one.

I appreciate that financially everything in the garden is not rosey right now but certainly much better than it has been. My brother would back me up that 2 seasons into the McLeish era I was calling for a complete cutback even then. I was wishing that we would take what limited transfer funds we had and buy the best 2 or 3 young Scottish players available as well as putting real faith in the youth setup. I felt even then that we almost needed to bottom out so that we could come back stronger, with a sound financial base and young first team squad with roots in the homeland.

So I am glad that Murray cut back the spending but also glad that he had a go twice. First, he tried bringing in the big name players, player to excite the fans. That worked on a limited basis but obviously was not lasting. So then he cut back funding, hired PLG and tried to do it the other way, with a respected coach who had a reputation of working well with young players. That didnt work either.

Whichever way you look at it though, he has always went out and did the best for Rangers. No major decision has been met with widespread derision as far as I can remember.

As far as the going gaga over a billionaire owner, I would suggest there would be some on this forum who if a prospective new owner came in and promised an amount of rough, lets say, 20 Million to spend on players would go gaga (I think you know to whom I refer lol)

Not sure what you would have wanted Murray to do really, is there a plan of action that you would rather he have taken. Some fans (not you, just some) seem to want him to spend all his cash on the club before selling it on to someone else to spend theirs. I kinda get frustrated by that outlook. Dont get me wrong, I dont have a pic of the Mint on my bedroom wall but I do appreciate that he has had a real go a couple of times and yet still is making the long term health of the club the first priority.

Frankie - I forgot to add, if there is someone out there willing to put in millions and he has the club at heart, and Murray wants to sell, then fair do's - whoever it is will have my total support. But as much as we can wish for that, unless you know more, there doesn't seem to be any takers so for me, Murray gets my support until there is a better alternative out there