Rangers Right Not To Re-sign Kenny Miller

WillemBear

Rangers got it absolutely right not to re-sign Kenny Miller from Bursaspor. There is no doubt in my mind that he would have been a great addition to the squad, in the SHORT term.

However, to have signed him Rangers would have needed to have compromised on THREE issues :-

1. Paid CONSIDERABLY more than Rangers received for him just six months ago,

2. Paid him upward of £25,000 per week,

3. Put him on a THREE year contract.

Taking point 1.

If Rangers had done this, then Rangers would have been shown themselves to be a "rollover" in any future transfer negotiations.

Taking point 2.

Rangers have just secured the services of three of their best players on a salary not dissimilar to £25,000 per week. To have been forced into paying MORE to mercenary whose LOYALTY must be in question, would have sent entirely the WRONG signal to the squad.

Taking point 3.

There is NO way that Kenny Miller would have re-signed for Rangers on anything less than a TWO year contract (and more probably THREE). That would make him 33 going on 34 years before the expiry of said contract, with absolutely NO sell on value.

Cardiff City have signed a guy that will no doubt do a decent job for them in The Championship, but I'm willing to bet that SHOULD they achieve their ambition and get promoted to The Premiership then one of the first players to be replaced by younger and better, WILL be Kenny Miller.

Well done Rangers, you dodged a bullet !!

If this was anyone of Kenny Miller's stature other than Miller himself, nobody would be saying £1 million for a near 32 year old was a good deal

We should not be signing over 30s at all in my opinion, unless they play a position where being over 30 isn't really much of a hindrance like goalkeeper or centre half

Can see where your coming from and agree with you even though i like Miller it would be a bit pointless imo to sign he for a third time when we could get a younger player for a bigger fee and sell him on and make a profit from the sale

Rangers got it absolutely right not to re-sign Kenny Miller from Bursaspor. There is no doubt in my mind that he would have been a great addition to the squad, in the SHORT term.

However, to have signed him Rangers would have needed to have compromised on THREE issues :-

Taking point 1.

If Rangers had done this, then Rangers would have been shown themselves to be a "rollover" in any future transfer negotiations.

Taking point 2.

Rangers have just secured the services of three of their best players on a salary not dissimilar to £25,000 per week. To have been forced into paying MORE to mercenary whose LOYALTY must be in question, would have sent entirely the WRONG signal to the squad.

Taking point 3.

There is NO way that Kenny Miller would have re-signed for Rangers on anything less than a TWO year contract (and more probably THREE). That would make him 33 going on 34 years before the expiry of said contract, with absolutely NO sell on value.

Cardiff City have signed a guy that will no doubt do a decent job for them in The Championship, but I'm willing to bet that SHOULD they achieve their ambition and get promoted to The Premiership then one of the first players to be replaced by younger and better, WILL be Kenny Miller.

And u know he would be offered more than others, how ? or is it guess work there

At his age he is one bad injury away from being finished and regardless he would have had no sell-on value .Poor investment plus Cardiff buying Miller perhaps makes Goodwillie easier for us

And u know he would be offered more than others, how ? or is it guess work there

No, what I am saying is that given he was on £50,000 per week at Bursaspor, in order to get him to sign, Rangers would have NEEDED to have offered him more than £25,000. Something I am glad to say that Rangers ultimately thought was NOT value for money, for the reasons stated.

No, what I am saying is that given he was on £50,000 per week at Bursaspor, in order to get him to sign, Rangers would have NEEDED to have offered him more than £25,000. Something I am glad to say that Rangers ultimately thought was NOT value for money, for the reasons stated.

yeh but no but, how do you know he wont accept 25k?

Taking point 1.

Taking point 2.

Taking point 3.

Ever heard the expression 'there's an elephant in the room'?

yeh but no but, how do you know he wont accept 25k?

Unless he were to agree to re-sign on a rolling ONE year contract, or similar terms to those that he was on when he left, then anything else would represent bad value for money.

Unless he were to agree to re-sign on a rolling ONE year contract, or similar terms to those that he was on when he left, then anything else would represent bad value for money.

Its funny folk think he would last 1 season, like he wasnt good enough when he was comingback the last time, it would be odeal for rangers and he dont have to play every game throughout every season, and it would make a few scummy bastards worry a bit, get me, but that wasnt the point, u said we would have to offer more than any other player is on when that is tripe imo unless you stick to the fairy tale that he is only wanting big wages and he is a money whore

Taking point 1.

Taking point 2.

Taking point 3.

calm down wae the bold only put the most important stuff in bold even everything you wrote in this is a load of bull because you are not pickin the team mcciost is and who ever he wants rangers fans should follow whos care if he would be on 25k a week we are not moanin bout shager davis or whitts on that are we. just take a chill pill mate

1) Doesnt matter what we sold him for, it was a different era and a different regime running things and not for the betterment of the club.

2) £25k a week? So on a par with the likes of Brooninho, Hinkel and Ledley and up there with our highest earners too? Well worth every penny when you see what Kenny brings to our table.

3) I have no problem with that, i dont believe in short term contracts unless the player is in his very late 30,s. Kenny has many season to go as a footballer. If we got 2 cracking seasons out of him he would have deserved a 3rd.

A chance missed, really wished we had took him back. And for a poxy £200k. :(