Where Is Everyones Best Positions?

OrangeBurn

There has been a lot of talk that most of our Squad are played out of position. Now, when you think about it in terms of in which position do they play their best football, there is certainly a case to back up that a lot of our players play in the wrong position.

For example our 4-4-2 will usually look like this ...

McGregor

Whittaker Bougherra Weir Papac

Davis Edu McCulloch Ortiz

Jelavic Naismith

When you look at that team there are easily 5-6 players who play better in a different position.

- Whittaker can't defend, he usually players a better game at RM.

- Papac usually plays just as well, if not better at DC

- Ortiz has no left foot and has been largely ineffective at LM, should be tried at RM.

- Davis runs the show at MC and should be played there as much as possible.

- McCulloch is not a MC at all. Would certainly try him as a ST, where he played very well for Wigan and see if he plays well.

- Edu seems to always play better at RB

If everyone played in the positions they seem to play best at maybe it'd look something like this ...

McGregor

Edu Bougherra Papac Wallace

Ortiz/Whittaker Davis Fleck/Ness Wylde

Jelavic/Lafferty Naismith/McCulloch

Just a thought?

Juan Manuel Ortiz - right midfield.

Steven Naismith - midfield.

Steven Davis - central midfield.

Lee McCulloch - bench/binned.

I don't rate Steven Whittaker defensively, he is just as bad in midfield. I actually think he looks better at left back.

Juan Manuel Ortiz - right midfield.

Steven Naismith - midfield.

Steven Davis - central midfield.

Lee McCulloch - bench/binned.

I don't rate Steven Whittaker defensively, he is just as bad in midfield. I actually think he looks better at left back.

Now there is a talking point.

McGregor

Ortiz Davis Naismith Wylde

Jelavic Lafferty?

Now there is a talking point.

McGregor

Jelavic Lafferty?

Wide, not centrally and I wouldn't have Maurice Edu any where near the right back position.

Wide, not centrally and I wouldn't have Maurice Edu any where near the right back position.

Who is the best RB we have? I don't think we have a great one. I'm happy with Whitty staying there to be honest, but everytime Edu goes to RB he normally actually gets involved.

I don't think Naismith is a Midfielder at all, I think he is a good Striker.

Who is the best RB we have? I don't think we have a great one. I'm happy with Whitty staying there to be honest, but everytime Edu goes to RB he normally actually gets involved.

I don't think Naismith is a Midfielder at all, I think he is a good Striker.

Steven Whittaker is the best right back - he's better than Broadfoot!

Steven Naismith, IMO, is better in midfield than up front.

Don't think 442 is a formation that best suits our current squad. Apart from jelavic who seems better with a partner. I think we should be looking at 4231 or 4132. We need width. But seem weak in central midfield. Even the dreaded 451 suits us better. If I was replacing McCoist tomorrow. (in ally I trust) I'd pick this team. With current players.

Mcgregor

Broadfoot (has never actually let us down at any time)

Boogy

Goian

Wallace

Mcculloch

Ortiz

Davis

Wylde

Jelavic

Naismith

Mcgregor

Broadfoot

Boogy

Goian

Wallace

Davis

Mcculloch

Ortiz

Fleck

Naismith

Jelavic

Just don't think 442 is the one that suits us the now.

IMO, our best XI at this moment is;

McGregor

Edu Bougherra Goian Wallace

Jelavic Lafferty

That's playing 2/3 players out of position, sometimes it has to be done.

I'd go:

............McGregor

Ortiz Papac Goian Wallace

...............Edu

..........Ness Davis

.....Fleck..........Naismith

.............Jelavic

Here is my thinking:

1. Ortiz seems to be a fairly solid player and I think he could be worth a shot at right back, although it could be awful.

2. The three man central midfield would allow us to easily dominate teams in the SPL who typically play 442 with only two men in the middle (as we have the extra man)

3. In the midfield there are the three elements you need. Destroyer - Edu Passer/Creator - Ness and attacking/forward thinking player - Davis. Think Busquets - Xavi - Iniesta.

4. Jelavic is very good at linking the play, and with Naismith and Fleck as attacking midfielder/inside forwards then he would have support coming from either side (plus Davis) and both these players can make dangerous diagonal runs across the defence. It also creates a nice passing triangle between the three front men.

5. Fleck and Naismith are NOT to play as wingers, there is not problem playing player on the opposite side as long as they their role is to cut inside and make runs into the defence. Again using Barcelona, Villa plays on the right and Messi on the left (although also centre now), and that seems to work fine.

6. Wylde is a player I like, and if there was space and we were dominating he could play as a left wing back, as I understand he did at youth level, and provide the width when Naismith cuts in, à la Dani Alves, although Wallace can also do this effectively.