Offensive Chanting At International Matches.

thebooler

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There are 'offensive' songs/words heard at every game, big deal. There are far too many people looking to be offended on here. Either go to the games and accept it, or don't bother going.

Sorry but I don't see it as being as simple as that. Are you seriously suggesting that football fans who are unaware of what they are allowed to sing and shout at a football game should just either go there and accept it, or not bother going?

What a fuckin lookout in life that is.

I for one don't want lifted, or sacked from my job, or publicly humiliated, because I was arrested for offending someone unknowingly, whilst maybe 30,000 at Hampden openly offend others and get away with it.

You've already said earlier that you only visit Ibrox when the taigs are playing there. I find this strange, and running away from the problem is not something I would do. I'd try to find out the reasons for the problems, look at them, and deal with them. And I really don't see what difference it makes who is playing at Ibrox. Unless of course hating celtic is more important to you than supporting the Rangers.

For the record, I am not easily offended ( I think you know that). I do want parity though, rather than just what suits the SNP and a few other official bodies. And I'll always question such things rather than just stop going to the games and supporting my club.

In the song, it celebrates Edwards army being sent homeward to think again. Do you think we played them at chess, maybe a days caber-tossing to decide the outcome?

So your saying the song literally says we killed English people and then sent them home (apprently dead) to think again.

You see the Corries were keen that it was about a pride in our nation. You know, the country our founders played for, and didn't want it to be jingoistic or in any way anti English. It's why they wrote of proud Edwards Army, and being sent home, not killed. It's why 'these days are past now, and in the past they must remain'.

The song is about growing up. Being confident as a nation, confident perhaps enough to be independent.

Personally I find it too sentimentalist, a bit of a dirge and not really right for a modern country. But it sure as hell doesn't celebrate killing English people.

Proud Edwards army...

Think again...

Still nothing about killing Englishmen though.

These days are past now and in the past they must remain - valid point, kind of suggests the opposite of killing folk.

We can still rise now. Land that is lost now. Mmmm, maudlin sentimentalist crap, but still no English and killing them.

Really hope someone can point out the killing bit soon, I mean I feel I'm close, but just can't find it at all. C'mon, enough folk on here saying they saw it but now no one wants to point it out.

I always thought it was about the battle of Bannockburn?

So your saying the song literally says we killed English people and then sent them home (apprently dead) to think again.

You see the Corries were keen that it was about a pride in our nation. You know, the country our founders played for, and didn't want it to be jingoistic or in any way anti English. It's why they wrote of proud Edwards Army, and being sent home, not killed. It's why 'these days are past now, and in the past they must remain'.

The song is about growing up. Being confident as a nation, confident perhaps enough to be independent.

Personally I find it too sentimentalist, a bit of a dirge and not really right for a modern country. But it sure as hell doesn't celebrate killing English people.

So what did we do, serve a Restraining Order?

Proud Edwards army...

Think again...

Still nothing about killing Englishmen though.

These days are past now and in the past they must remain - valid point, kind of suggests the opposite of killing folk.

We can still rise now. Land that is lost now. Mmmm, maudlin sentimentalist crap, but still no English and killing them.

Really hope someone can point out the killing bit soon, I mean I feel I'm close, but just can't find it at all. C'mon, enough folk on here saying they saw it but now no one wants to point it out.

Will be a bad day for this part of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, if these cross dressing ass wipes like the fat controller get their way, if they do I want Independence for Glasgow.

The wee keech controller used to spout about how well the irish made were doing and bang , fucked good and proper. And still have a laugh when years ago they spouted about independence and it is our oil. And the Shetlanders said if Scotland breaks away we want to leave Scotland and it's our oil as it is nearer our shore.

Did the Union not come about due to Scotland needing bailed out?

You fuckers have no heritage, nicked those colored skirts you wear and nicked those horrendous bagpipes. So glad i was born int he city that gave Gen Wade the freedom of Glasgow and had 3 day public holiday to celebrate culloden.

It's not a song about Bannockburn per se. It's a song about national identity and belief. It certainly doesn't glory (or indeed mention) the killing of Englishmen, as some stated. And I know of no one who wouldn't be able to interpret, 'those days are past now and in the past they must remain'.

So for those reasons the legislation that was the point of the thread wouldn't be relevent.

thinj what the op is saying is that if songs of bygone wars are deemed 'offensive' and punishable by law then songs like flower of scotland which COULD be offensive to english should also be considered as punishable...much in the same way GSTQ could as a verse is about killing rebellious scots...i guess you could expand even further and deem rap music punishable as this is often about gang wars etc,tbh the whole situation is a joke in its entirity

It's not a song about Bannockburn per se. It's a song about national identity and belief. It certainly doesn't glory (or indeed mention) the killing of Englishmen, as some stated. And I know of no one who wouldn't be able to interpret, 'those days are past now and in the past they must remain'.

So for those reasons the legislation that was the point of the thread wouldn't be relevent.

Once again it was not only Englishman that fought the rhebels

Presumably you would agree that all fan groups should be allowed such a wide interpretation of their songs, despite people claiming to be offended by them?

After all sending them homeward undoubtedly meant killing a load of them, whether or not it is the point of the song.

And by such logic, obviously Rangers fans should be allowed to sing The Billy Boys.

Sorry but I don't see it as being as simple as that. Are you seriously suggesting that football fans who are unaware of what they are allowed to sing and shout at a football game should just either go there and accept it, or not bother going?

What a fuckin lookout in life that is.

I for one don't want lifted, or sacked from my job, or publicly humiliated, because I was arrested for offending someone unknowingly, whilst maybe 30,000 at Hampden openly offend others and get away with it.

You've already said earlier that you only visit Ibrox when the taigs are playing there. I find this strange, and running away from the problem is not something I would do. I'd try to find out the reasons for the problems, look at them, and deal with them. And I really don't see what difference it makes who is playing at Ibrox. Unless of course hating celtic is more important to you than supporting the Rangers.

For the record, I am not easily offended ( I think you know that). I do want parity though, rather than just what suits the SNP and a few other official bodies. And I'll always question such things rather than just stop going to the games and supporting my club.

I don't go to Ibrox because I DO know what the problems are, not because I'm running away from them. You stand up and sing at Ibrox and you get the strange looks from all around you, the shouts of 'sit doon' followed by the over-officious cunt of a steward coming and having a word. If there were other people round about with the same mentality things would be different. So you carry on and do what you do and don't worry about me being a coward.

The bit in bold really is a fucking pathetic jibe, one I would only expect from someone with a sense of superiority over their Rangers-ness.

thinj what the op is saying is that if songs of bygone wars are deemed 'offensive' and punishable by law then songs like flower of scotland which COULD be offensive to english should also be considered as punishable...much in the same way GSTQ could as a verse is about killing rebellious scots...i guess you could expand even further and deem rap music punishable as this is often about gang wars etc,tbh the whole situation is a joke in its entirity

Indeed it was rebellious Scots that got put down as just as many Scots fought on the side of the English as was based on religious background.

Jacobite read mhanks

I look forward to the upcoming Serbia v Croatia WC matches and hearing songs about killing each other. And God help us if either side use the words "...and sent them homewards to think again." Ethnic cleansing in it's purest form. :rolleyes:

Thankfully folk are slightly less spasticated in this part of the world and won't go running to their MPs asking to introduce a campaign to jail anyone who sings a song that might be based on rivarly of some sort.