Atlantic League

WaltersGotStyle

Over the last few years we have seen countries such as England and Spain get further and further out of site.

This has led us to the position where we pray that one day England invite us to be part of the party, I myself was never in favour of

an Atlantic League when it was first proposed however now I think it has to be seriously considered as the state of Scottish football is at an all time low.

I mean imagine the following league set up

Rangers

Celtic

Ajax

Feyenoord

PSV

Brondby

AIK Stockholm

IFK Göteborg

Copenhagen

Rosenborg

Where the bottom club was relegated and their spot could then be challenged by the top team in their related domestic league in a playoff.

This would be far more exciting than the SPL at the moment....

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

UEFA have stated time and time again that they won't sanction an Atlantic league.

Times change...

The CL is now predictable, and fans of smaller clubs will become disillusioned by the fact their team have no chance of winning it.

I think you would be surprised how quickly UEFAs tune would change if this was to move forward.

Times change...

The CL is now predictable, and fans of smaller clubs will become disillusioned by the fact their team have no chance of winning it.

I think you would be surprised how quickly UEFAs tune would change if this was to move forward.

I can't see it. I hope you're right but I think it's highly unlikely.

I thought everyone was bored of a 10 team league? Also, who outside of the countries involved would pay to watch the likes of Brondy v AIK?

I can't see any proposal such as this generating anywhere near the money that would be needed to make up for no UEFA involvement.

I thought everyone was bored of a 10 team league? Also, who outside of the countries involved would pay to watch the likes of Brondy v AIK?

I can't see any proposal such as this generating anywhere near the money that would be needed to make up for no UEFA involvement.

If you were involved in a league with them you would... I mean who outside of Scotland gets their rocks off to St Mirren vs. Dunfermline...

You could even propose a second tier with the Edinburgh clubs involved...

The principle of rounding up the big teams from the small leagues is a good ide in theory, but there are a few drawbacks.

1) We have a great away support, but asking them to shell out at least £100 for flights to Scandanavia/Holland every other week is pushing it.

2) Under your scheme, the likes of Twente and AZ would be screwed, as there would be very little chance of a Dutch club getting relegated. Instead, you'd probably have a new sub-par Swedish team every year.

3) UEFA might be all about the money, but they're not idiots. If they call our bluff, and refuse to acknowledge this league, then we're screwed. If that goes, then there's not much incentive to push on with it.

Second tier would be an option...

I truely believe UEFA would cave as the gap in income across the leagues is at an all time high.

Over the last few years we have seen countries such as England and Spain get further and further out of site.

This has led us to the position where we pray that one day England invite us to be part of the party, I myself was never in favour of

an Atlantic League when it was first proposed however now I think it has to be seriously considered as the state of Scottish football is at an all time low.

Rangers

Celtic

Ajax

Feyenoord

PSV

Brondby

AIK Stockholm

IFK Göteborg

Copenhagen

Rosenborg

Where the bottom club was relegated and their spot could then be challenged by the top team in their related domestic league in a playoff.

Negatives far outway the positives in Uefa's eyes.

Not only will it kill the leagues in these countries.

No champions league involvement for any of these teams.

Fans having to travel 100's of miles to away fixtures every other week.

What will then stop the 'big' leagues breaking up. Likes of top 4 in england, germany, italy, and spain. - If this happened then the Atlantic league would have no appeal and we would be back to where we started.

Rangers

Celtic

Ajax

Feyenoord

PSV

Brondby

AIK Stockholm

IFK Göteborg

Copenhagen

Rosenborg

Cant see this working- the "relegated" team wouldnt be allowed to return to the league they had originally turned their back on

If you were involved in a league with them you would... I mean who outside of Scotland gets their rocks off to St Mirren vs. Dunfermline...

You could even propose a second tier with the Edinburgh clubs involved...

Seriously, I wouldn't watch St. Mirren v Dunfermline if they were playing outside my window, nevermind pay for the privilege.

The original proposal for this set-up also included Portuguese teams, but considering their success in European competitions they wouldn't be interested and that removes a lot of the appeal to the viewing public.

For me, going it alone in this way isn't a viable option.

Seriously, I wouldn't watch St. Mirren v Dunfermline if they were playing outside my window, nevermind pay for the privilege.

The original proposal for this set-up also included Portuguese teams, but considering their success in European competitions they wouldn't be interested and that removes a lot of the appeal to the viewing public.

For me, going it alone in this way isn't a viable option.

This (tu)

Although some are saying that there would be no CL entry - I would say that most of the teams on that list are not guaranteed to qualify for it each year anyway.

Because of the uncertainty of qualifying for the CL each year, then there is no financial stability for forward planning.

Whilst the Atlantic League would probably not reap the same rewards as Champions League participation - the income (including TV income) would be considerably more than what we currently get domestically. This income would be assured annually, create stability and would help the club with its future financial planning.

What we have at the moment is a cut-throat gamble where if successful we get £15-£18M, but when not successful we are threatened with having to make reductions in playing staff/salaries and having to consider gambling again for participating in the CL the following year.

why don`t we have 1 competition with every team from their main league (TOP DIVISION)taking part.it would be drawn like the scottish cup,just one game with extra time and penalty shoot out in the event of a draw at the end of 90 minutes. it would also mean attacking football in order to win the game.the winners of the competition would then rightly be called THE EUROPEAN CHAMPIONS!!!

why don`t we have 1 competition with every team from their main league (TOP DIVISION)taking part.it would be drawn like the scottish cup,just one game with extra time and penalty shoot out in the event of a draw at the end of 90 minutes. it would also mean attacking football in order to win the game.the winners of the competition would then rightly be called THE EUROPEAN CHAMPIONS!!!

This would have less appeal than the europa league in my opinion. Likes of man utd and barca will just play kids in these games.