The rst

Airdriebear

In theory - yes

In practice - not always

Furthermore the non denominational...as their name suggests...are not promoting any particular religion...that what I would advocate for all children.

Thats the bummer, you are not everyones parent. Unless the rumors are true..... :Animation44:

So Bauba...do you think its morally right...that a questionable institutions like the Catholic Church is allowed to promote itself so openly within the education system ?

DA - whether it is right or not, we do it in our schools all the time. When I was a kid we said the lords prayer every day in school. Was that right? In America they pledge allegiance to the flag, which includes the phrase "one Nation under God"

There's no real difference.

As far as I am concerned, as long as they aren't teaching the kids that they will encounter different philosophies and beliefs in the world and that we should be tolerant of each other, then I would be ok.

Thats what I was saying earlier, we need more of that in all schools.

Love that you call the Catholic Church a questionable institution too - thats priceless! (doob)

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I accept that Alba...what I am talking about is the building of 2 schools...one denom...one non denom...which has happened recently where I live.

There was significant anger at the extra cost involved.

I'm not sure why there would be extra cost involved. If it was a new build then presumably it was done as part of a PPP programme in which case there is no cost to the local authority.

In theory - yes

In practice - not always

Furthermore the non denominational...as their name suggests...are not promoting any particular religion...that what I would advocate for all children.

Thats the bummer, you are not everyones parent. Unless the rumors are true..... :Animation44:

So Bauba...do you think its morally right...that a questionable institutions like the Catholic Church is allowed to promote itself so openly within the education system ?

DA - whether it is right or not, we do it in our schools all the time. When I was a kid we said the lords prayer every day in school. Was that right? In America they pledge allegiance to the flag, which includes the phrase "one Nation under God"

As far as I am concerned, as long as they aren't teaching the kids that they will encounter different philosophies and beliefs in the world and that we should be tolerant of each other, then I would be ok.

Love that you call the Catholic Church a questionable institution too - thats priceless! (doob)

Well given what went on in Boston and elsewhere in your country of residence....in addition to the fact they were exposed in BBC Panorama for spreading lies in Africa with regard to the use of condoms thuse increasing the spread of AIDS...I thought the term "questionable instituion" was pretty lenient.

In theory - yes

In practice - not always

Well given what went on in Boston and elsewhere in your country of residence....in addition to the fact they were exposed in BBC Panorama for spreading lies in Africa with regard to the use of condoms thuse increasing the spread of AIDS...I thought the term "questionable instituion" was pretty lenient.

We've got bad eggs in our church also. My local village in the south was sent a child molestor as a minister - doesnt mean they are all mean. I will accept that the Catholic church doesnt have its problems to seek though, thats for sure.

But I am certainly not going to go into a debate on whether they are a legit institution though, I think we could be here all night and you might burst by the end of it lol

I'll just let it go at that I think

We've got bag eggs in our church also. My local village in the south was sent a child molestor as a minister - doesnt mean they are all mean. I will accept that the Catholic church doesnt have its problems to seek though, thats for sure.

But I am certainly not going to go into a debate on whether they are a legit institution though, I think we could be here all night and you might burst by the end of it lol

I never said they were not "legit" I described them as a questionable institution.

There is little anyone can do about individual bad eggs....but once that information is learned to then keep them in post....cover up for them...try to supress those who speak out against them is the lowest of the low. That a whole organisation was complicit in this cover up warrants...in my opinion... the description of "questionable institution"

We've got bag eggs in our church also. My local village in the south was sent a child molestor as a minister - doesnt mean they are all mean. I will accept that the Catholic church doesnt have its problems to seek though, thats for sure.

I never said they were not "legit" I described them as a questionable institution.

There is little anyone can do about individual bad eggs....but once that information is learned to then keep them in post....cover up for them...try to supress those who speak out against them is the lowest of the low. That a whole organisation was complicit in this cover up warrants...in my opinion... the description of "questionable institution"

DA, thats exactly what had been done with this minister. He had a bunch of accusations from (Glasgow, if I remember right) then the church hid him away till the heat died down, and sent him to the far south where no-one knew.

Of course, in time, he was found out and the church had to recall him and send him elsewhere.

At the time I remember thinking that I thought it was only Catholic priests that did that sort of thing lol

What does it prove? Not a lot probably other than our side has the capability to follow the same paths that others have trodden ill on.

Bauba

I have already posted my opinion about individual bad eggs. Thats not what we are talking about here.

This was a scandal of gigantic proportions which went to the very top hence the resignation of Cardinal Law.

Not only did they fail to protect victims by keeping those responsible in post...they actively attempted to cover it up by surpressing information and trying to discredit and silence victims of child abuse. It was only the persistence of newspapers...in particular the Boston Globe..which eventually allowed the story to surface.

Considering you actually live in the US...I am astonished you can compare this scandal to anything else....as the scale...complicity...and senior positions of the persons involved is without equal.

Bauba

I have already posted my opinion about individual bad eggs. Thats not what we are talking about here.

This was a scandal of gigantic proportions which went to the very top hence the resignation of Cardinal Law.

Not only did they fail to protect victims by keeping those responsible in post...they actively attempted to cover it up by surpressing information and trying to discredit and silence victims of child abuse. It was only the persistence of newspapers...in particular the Boston Globe..which eventually allowed the story to surface.

Considering you actually live in the US...I am astonished you can compare this scandal to anything else....as the scale...complicity...and senior positions of the persons involved is without equal.

Sorry DA, I will just briefly say that I agree to you that that was a terrible thing and that your wording there again seems to be to try to draw me in to a heated debate. This time however, I will simply say this

I made a joke, you need to realize that when someone makes a joke the spirit it is intended in

And finally, "considering I actually live in the states?" Do the cheap insults never stop? ok, I'm outa here

Bauba

Sorry DA, I will just briefly say that I agree to you that that was a terrible thing and that your wording there again seems to be to try to draw me in to a heated debate. This time however, I will simply say this

I made a joke, you need to realize that when someone makes a joke the spirit it is intended in

And finally, "considering I actually live in the states?" Do the cheap insults never stop? ok, I'm outa here

Right Bauba...

Your not getting away with that.....and too be honest Im getting pretty peeved with your "Im offended by your insults Im off in the huff" routine

Firstlly.....I am not insulting (cheaply or otherwise) you, with regard to the comment about you living in the states...Im acknowledging the reverse of what I accuse you of in certain threads....the very fact you live in the country where it is happening you would probably have far better knowledge and experience of it than me.

Secondly....I have not attempted to draw you into heated debate....its you who continues to respond and challenge.

Thirdly .... I dont know what joke you refer to...but I find the subject matter one of the few where humour is not welcome. Let me make this crystal clear for you......this discussion has nothing to do with you making a joke and me taking it in the wrong spirit.....but it has everything to do with you attempting to deflect and minimise by accusing others of similar...

Finally..... Once again you play by double standards. You accuse Rangers fans of "deflection" by citing examples of Bears highlighting sectarian singing by tims....yet in another context you have done exactly that throughout this arguement.

Bauba

Right Bauba...

Your not getting away with that.....and too be honest Im getting pretty peeved with your "Im offended by your insults Im off in the huff" routine

Firstlly.....I am not insulting (cheaply or otherwise) you, with regard to the comment about you living in the states...Im acknowledging the reverse of what I accuse you of in certain threads....the very fact you live in the country where it is happening you would probably have far better knowledge and experience of it than me.

Secondly....I have not attempted to draw you into heated debate....its you who continues to respond and challenge.

Thirdly .... I dont know what joke you refer to...but I find the subject matter one of the few where humour is not welcome. Let me make this crystal clear for you......this discussion has nothing to do with you making a joke and me taking it in the wrong spirit.....but it has everything to do with you attempting to deflect and minimise by accusing others of similar...

Finally..... Once again you play by double standards. You accuse Rangers fans of "deflection" by citing examples of Bears highlighting sectarian singing by tims....yet in another context you have done exactly that throughout this arguement.

HA I guess the next time you respectfully agree to disagree will be the first.

OK, I will do it for you. I agree to disagree with you - I am for freedom of choice and diversity in schooling, the inclusion of faith schooling into our system. You are not. You wish to see the faith schools closed and integrated with the rest of the school system. We have both gave our reasons why. This is the point the debate should end.

There, that was easy