Big Orange Persson the Swedish winger.

Colonel Mustard

With the glad tidings of a Swedish winger joining, it brought back memories of another one.

Orjan Persson joined Rangers after helping Dundee Utd into their very first season in Europe, where they managed to beat Barcelona twice. He had also become the Arabs' first ever international player.

It seems amazing now, but the makeweight in Persson's transfer/swap to Rangers was the man who was already a legend, Davie Wilson, who at 28 should have been right at the peak of his playing capabilities.

Big Orange scored 30 goals in 94 games for Rangers, and he had the knack for the spectacular with many of them being raspers.

Let's hope the new Swede is as entertaining as the big man once was, but that he wins a lot more medals...Orjan left Ibrox empty handed after 3 years.

Did the big man not score direct from a corner against the tarriers when we beat them 4-2 at the San Giro? Maybe that was a different game.

Was that not "just" from a really tight angle on the bye line?

He did score direct from a corner though. I can't remember who it was against though.

Persson could give the ball a fair bit of hoof. Spectacular to watch but inconsistent and not in Davie Wilson's class.

Speaking of whom I saw him in his first game for Utd. back at Ibrox. Rangers were attacking the Copland end. Davie was standing out on the left about ten yards inside the Utd. half. Fergie was brought crashing down in the Utd. box. All the Rangers players' arms went up appealing for a penalty and so, I swear, did Davie's. Old habits die hard.

I remember Persson had the habit of striking the ball with the outside of his boot. We ran around the playgrounds in deepest, darkest Lanarkshire doing the exact same, attempting to score a 'Persson goal'.

Further, I seem to remember he played in the Sweden world cup team during the 1970 World Cup in Mexico. I believe they reached the semi-final?

I remember Persson had the habit of striking the ball with the outside of his boot. We ran around the playgrounds in deepest, darkest Lanarkshire doing the exact same, attempting to score a 'Persson goal'.

Further, I seem to remember he played in the Sweden world cup team during the 1970 World Cup in Mexico. I believe they reached the semi-final?

They never got out the group stages.

As pcbear says, they went out in the group stages, but I think Persson played in 1974, when they got to the 2nd group stage and finished 3rd in the group (2nd group winners went to the final, and 2nd places played for 3rd/4th).

As pcbear says, they went out in the group stages, but I think Persson played in 1974, when they got to the 2nd group stage and finished 3rd in the group (2nd group winners went to the final, and 2nd places played for 3rd/4th).

It was not by memory, have a look at a site called planet world cup, gives you the lot, teams, crowd, bookings scorers etc.

Persson got booked in the 72nd minute v Israel

i dont remember him being a stand out success he was in and out the side ,not to say he wasnt a class player he roasted us badly when at dun.u. but like a lot of our foreign signings he was hot and cold.but he did score the only goal against tic. playing on the right wing.

i dont remember him being a stand out success he was in and out the side ,not to say he wasnt a class player he roasted us badly when at dun.u. but like a lot of our foreign signings he was hot and cold.but he did score the only goal against tic. playing on the right wing.

He played in most games in his first 2 seasons (49 and 47 games), but dropped out often in his last year.

He scored the winner at Ibrox when the animal Bertie Auld broke Davie Provan's leg.

I used to spend hours down the Plots in Kinning Park doing the exact same and the in-swinging corners and the bicycle kick.

Did the big man not score direct from a corner against the tarriers when we beat them 4-2 at the San Giro? Maybe that was a different game.

You could be right but I remember him scoring direct from a corner against Ayr United at Somerset Park.