Resurrect The Swifts to raise money?

With some Rangers fans buying into the idea of the red and black scarves to raise money for Rangers, could it be a good time to take it a step further and make money from resurrecting The Swifts?

The reserve team once played in the red and black stripes, so instead of selling scarves, should we arrange regular midweek challenge games for them against lower division clubs, to be played at Ibrox in the old colours once again?

We could charge a fiver or a tenner for those wanting to go along and see how those players in The Swifts were progressing, which could raise a regular few quid for Rangers, as well as for the teams invited to play against them.

Even a few thousand going along regularly to the matches could bring in more income than a one off sale of a few thousand scarves.

good idea but it would have to be weighed up against the running costs of the stadium etc - we would need to have a guaranteed x thousand people going. and im not convinced we would get that for mid-week games :(

Rangers fans are in the mood to get behind fund raising for the club, so might be inclined to support this.

Opening up just the enclosure for the fans could keep the costs down, and if the management could make sure The Swifts tried to play good attacking football and serve up good entertainment, people might get into the habit of going regularly to see a good game.

Rangers fans are in the mood to get behind fund raising for the club, so might be inclined to support this.

Opening up just the enclosure for the fans could keep the costs down, and if the management could make sure The Swifts tried to play good attacking football and serve up good entertainment, people might get into the habit of going regularly to see a good game.

i agree, only opening parts up would reduce costs and also policing etc. its definitely not something im against. its the sort of thing where you could charge £5 tickets and try to get schools in on the publicity. would be a good wee thing for the local kids to go to during the week.

With some Rangers fans buying into the idea of the red and black scarves to raise money for Rangers, could it be a good time to take it a step further and make money from resurrecting The Swifts?

The reserve team once played in the red and black stripes, so instead of selling scarves, should we arrange regular midweek challenge games for them against lower division clubs, to be played at Ibrox in the old colours once again?

We could charge a fiver or a tenner for those wanting to go along and see how those players in The Swifts were progressing, which could raise a regular few quid for Rangers, as well as for the teams invited to play against them.

Even a few thousand going along regularly to the matches could bring in more income than a one off sale of a few thousand scarves.

It's a great idea CM in theory,depending on how it would affect the pitch and also the operating costs of opening 1-2 stands (depending on the response) and associated things like canteens etc.

I used to love going to the reserve games to see the young talent we had at the club (and established players) so for me it would be a win-win exercise for all concerned if it could be done. (tu)

love this idea.

It's a great idea CM in theory,depending on how it would affect the pitch and also the operating costs of opening 1-2 stands (depending on the response) and associated things like canteens etc.

I used to love going to the reserve games to see the young talent we had at the club (and established players) so for me it would be a win-win exercise for all concerned if it could be done. (tu)

Aye, I thought about the pitch, but I don't think we're in a position to be getting too precious about what condition it gets in right now.

Going to the reserve games was once a regular thing for a lot of us (not every game, but regular all the same), but I hardly ever even know nowadays when the reserves are playing. If these games were played on the same day every week, people might get into a habit again when they are at a loose end.

As you say, we could get a wee turn with the food outlets as well, and maybe could even open Bar72 up for those wanting to go in for a few pints.

Aye, I thought about the pitch, but I don't think we're in a position to be getting too precious about what condition it gets in right now.

Going to the reserve games was once a regular thing for a lot of us (not every game, but regular all the same), but I hardly ever even know nowadays when the reserves are playing. If these games were played on the same day every week, people might get into a habit again when they are at a loose end.

As you say, we could get a wee turn with the food outlets as well, and maybe could even open Bar72 up for those wanting to go in for a few pints.

Well considering some of the Coo paddocks we have played on the past few years I doubt if our pitch would get as bad as them,although I think our groundsman might argue the point.

I really can't see any losers from this idea,CM because the club gets revenue....the reserves get game time and exposure...the fans get to see something for their money,so unless there is some SPL rule that forbids this,then I think it should be put to the club.

Sometimes the simplest ideas are the best.....and for me this idea is a cracker. (tu):clap:

There must be lots of rich Rangers fans to buy all those scarves and strips plus give money to Save the Rangers fund. The country is struggling at the moment with people not having much money, and the money that i can afford will go to the Save the Rangers Fund.

There must be lots of rich Rangers fans to buy all those scarves and strips plus give money to Save the Rangers fund. The country is struggling at the moment with people not having much money, and the money that i can afford will go to the Save the Rangers Fund.

It's all well and good that we contribute to the Save The Rangers Fund, but that's a short term fix for the position the monkeys have got us into.

In the long term, Rangers need to attract more people to Ibrox, no matter how they do it, and for more people to want to buy our merchandising products.

Our new owners are going to have to do that if we are to try and start growing again.