Rangers v Ajax 73

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Aye Moses, that's the games. They were a fantastic side, just wish I had been a bit older and could have appreciated them a bit more.

Best team I've ever seen - I wish I had been more sober on that night to have a better memory. But, hey-ho, those were the days when drinking inside the ground was a pleasure to be enjoyed on the terrace and not in some poncy bar.

Lanliq loyal.

Wee Doddy scored in both games, an equaliser to make it 1-1 in the home game, and he gave us a 1-0 lead after 3 minutes in the away game...Cutty Young gave us the lead again after Ajax equalised in that game, before we went down 3-2.

Cruyff played in both games, and scored in both.

Other memorable players were Johnny Rep, who beat Alan Rough from about 35 yards in a WC game, Johann Neeskens, and Arnold Muehren who caused a sensation by going to Ipswich with Frans Thijsen.

Ajax 73 VS Barcelona (current).

That would be some spectacle!

A game I'd love to see - virtual reality software of the future should provide the chance to watch dream fixtures so accurately that you can experience it as if you were there.

PS: having been lucky enough to have watched both sides, Ajax would do them :pipe:

Wee Doddie, what a great wee player, him and big Dave Smith were my boyhood heros. Big Dave was an elegant player that I took to right away.

I've never understood why the great Dave Smith is not remembered more fondly from that era - what a player!

Best team I've ever seen - I wish I had been more sober on that night to have a better memory. But, hey-ho, those were the days when drinking inside the ground was a pleasure to be enjoyed on the terrace and not in some poncy bar.

Lanliq loyal.

Great interview with Wallace in the book Playing for Rangers no 6 by Ken Gallacher about Ajax at that time

Think I was at the Ibrox game..pretty hazy memories though!

Regarding Dave Smith... wonderful classy player.

I remember the 66 SC semi, he was outstanding against us...believe we signed him the next season. Great Ranger!

The game that sticks out for me was a New Year game against the downtrodden and every fucker was sliding all over the place and Dave just oozed class and strode through the game.

The Ajax game .I remember Cruyff running at full tilt diagonally across the 18yard box, think bomber Jackson was trying to catch him, when he stopped dead in his tracks and bomber kept running and Cruyff slotted the ball in. Great great goal.

Remember two things from the home game.

1. Johann Cruff turning Derek Johnstone inside out(DJwas playing centre-half) and 2. DJ chipping the ball over the advancing Ajax defence and running from the half-way line only to miss.

Re-Dave Smith,The highest compliment i could pay him is,he could have played in that Ajax team and not looked out of place.

Lanliq loyal.

Never made that game was too young, mate got me the program though

Old England loyal :lol:

Remember two things from the home game.

1. Johann Cruff turning Derek Johnstone inside out(DJwas playing centre-half) and 2. DJ chipping the ball over the advancing Ajax defence and running from the half-way line only to miss.

Re-Dave Smith,The highest compliment i could pay him is,he could have played in that Ajax team and not looked out of place.

I did remember big DJ doing something pretty neat, i forgot the end result of his Messi'ness, is there any footage of this around? i have seen it before somewhere.

I did remember big DJ doing something pretty neat, i forgot the end result of his Messi'ness, is there any footage of this around? i have seen it before somewhere.

Highlights of the home game were shown by STV.

For whatever reason the away game was in black & white.

Off topic for a second.

Can anyone remember a time in the 70s when Rangers would come out and kick balls in to the crowd? I can remember them doing it but don't know the reason or wether it was just for a few games or maybe longer. I'm thinking it might have been part of the centenary celebrations. Any ideas?

Wullie Matheson was good at kicking balls in to the crowd :angry:

Off topic for a second.

Can anyone remember a time in the 70s when Rangers would come out and kick balls in to the crowd? I can remember them doing it but don't know the reason or wether it was just for a few games or maybe longer. I'm thinking it might have been part of the centenary celebrations. Any ideas?

Wullie Matheson was good at kicking balls in to the crowd :angry:

I remember that. It didn't last long, so could have been the "centenery year" as you say.

Highlights of the home game were shown by STV.

For whatever reason the away game was in black & white.

Colour telly hadn't been long on the go at that time. The ECWC victory the previous year was in black and white. Some countries were more advanced in that respect than others.

The first Scottish colour game I think I remember was the tarriers getting gubbed 4-1 in the 1971 league cup final by Thistle, and I think that was also one of the first times STV had used slow motion replays up here as well (the English telly football was a wee bit more ahead of the times).