Favourite Gers signing of all time

islandblue

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brian Laudrup. Gazza didn't excite me in the least. For some reason I just didn't like him then but I'd seen Laudrup a few times on various football programmes when he was playing for Bayern and was astonished by his skill on the ball. I couldn't believe it when I heard he was coming to Ibrox.

Long before that Colin Stein was a fantastic signing. He'd been on fire with Hibs and was the first £100000 transfer in Scotland. I was at his first few domestic games and as far as I remember he scored a hat trick in the first three. I was in the Enclosure with my old man when he was sent off against Clyde. I watched close up as Eddie Mulheron hacked him again and again until he could take no more and turned round and gave Mulheron a well deserved whack. He got a six week ban and that was one of the biggest injustices ever in Scottish football.

(tu)

Brian Laudrup. Gazza didn't excite me in the least. For some reason I just didn't like him then but I'd seen Laudrup a few times on various football programmes when he was playing for Bayern and was astonished by his skill on the ball. I couldn't believe it when I heard he was coming to Ibrox.

Long before that Colin Stein was a fantastic signing. He'd been on fire with Hibs and was the first £100000 transfer in Scotland. I was at his first few domestic games and as far as I remember he scored a hat trick in the first three. I was in the Enclosure with my old man when he was sent off against Clyde. I watched close up as Eddie Mulheron hacked him again and again until he could take no more and turned round and gave Mulheron a well deserved whack. He got a six week ban and that was one of the biggest injustices ever in Scottish football.

(tu)

(tu)

(tu)

I didn't want to come over all paranoid by pointing out that the SFA Referees Committee who gave him that ban was chaired by Robert Kelly, aka chairman of Celtic. Coincidence? I think not. :dry:

:21:

Cant believe a fellow Bear would state that he wasnt excited by Legend Gazza.??

For one thing he never played in losing side against the Rodents except coming on as sub in a 2-0 loss Jan 1998

Guy was a MASSIVE PART in our History

Souness by a long margin for me. Remember the game against Dundee Utd at Ibrox and watching the stadium fill up,i'm sure there were fans locked out. Attendances were as low as 14,000 the previous season. It really was exciting times. A real revolution.

It's opinions.

I was also excited about Buffel, he was tipped to be a great signing for us....never worked out though.

agree but with all due respect i think these two are way way way down the list of guys that did or would have made any impact on Gers

Buffel for me was a powderpuff and bottled in every big game bar Helicopter Sunday and 3-1 win v Beggars

Thern ?? wonder goal v unwashed 2-0 but always injured

agree but with all due respect i think these two are way way way down the list of guys that did or would have made any impact on Gers

Buffel for me was a powderpuff and bottled in every big game bar Helicopter Sunday and 3-1 win v Beggars

Indeed, I was shocked at Buffel when he was with us. He came with a big reputation and looked the part for his former club but as you say games seemed to pass him by and he didn't seem strong enough for the SPL.

They never made any impact really agreed, but Buffel seemed an exciting signing at the time.

It's opinions.

I was also excited about Buffel, he was tipped to be a great signing for us....never worked out though.

Same. I was also excited at the signing of Prodan, fuckin immense player with Bucharest and Rumania. And Guivarch scores a overhead kick in his first game and I think, here we fucking go.

Same. I was also excited at the signing of Prodan, fuckin immense player with Bucharest and Rumania. And Guivarch scores a overhead kick in his first game and I think, here we fucking go.

He was another one we had high hopes for, remember him coming from Newcastle for about 6 million and though yas!

His goal at 0.17 in this I always remember jumping about wild at.

Which player were you most excited about signing.For me it was Gazza really felt that was us moving to a different level.As it turned out I reckon he was the best all-round player I've ever seen playing for us

i don't know how old you are mate but the best Ranger ever was Brian Laudrup...end of

Cant believe a fellow Bear would state that he wasnt excited by Legend Gazza.??

For one thing he never played in losing side against the Rodents except coming on as sub in a 2-0 loss Jan 1998

Guy was a MASSIVE PART in our History

I'm talking about before he came. My anticipation was less than enthusiastic. Once he was here you're right he was a massive character for us but I still prefer Laudrup as he was a better all round ambassador for the club. And I preferred him as a player too.

Over the years there have been so many at different eras. A lot of good signings at various times but those which stood out in a way to "really" excite when they signed are as follows:

Sixties: Alex Smith, Alex Ferguson, Colin Stein, Jim Baxter (2nd time)

Seventies: Coop

Eighties: Terry Butcher, Mo Johnston, Souness,

Nineties: Gazza, Lauders.

Post 2000: Ronald de Boer

These are just the players whose hype on signing promised wonderful things for the team. I'm not including those players who were signed by us but were not as "box office" famous but who surpassed their "potential" with their impact and eventual status. That should really be on a different list.

He was another one we had high hopes for, remember him coming from Newcastle for about 6 million and though yas!

Yeah. That was the goal. Not an overhead kick but just as impressive.

never wanted guivarch anywhere near our club. i seem to remember him turning his nose up at us, then ended up signing because he was struggling at Newcastle. he never wanted to come here, and only came to use us as a stepping stone (which was not something we were used to at that point in time)

Stephane Guivarc'h ... well, at least it meant he was no longer at the Toon. One of "King Kenny's" aberrations, if I recall. And the Toon compensated you a few years later with £8 million for Boumsong.