3-5-2 MUST STAY.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

why not, mccoist seen the tarriers thump us using it. he tried it himself and we won 5-0

certainly worth giving it a shot, the rigid 4-4-2 is so plain

A 3-5-2 for our next 2 games consisting of

Bocanegra

Perry------------Goian

Edu

Whittaker-Ness-McCabe-Wallace

Aluko-Little

Aluko would be given a free run anywhere in the opponents half

Certainly worth trying

442 is not ideal certainly.

Ally got his tactics and team selection spot on tonight and no one can deny it worked an absolute treat against one of the best SPL sides.

At the end of the day it's good to have a side that are comfortable playing in various formations and our boys showed tonight that they are more than capable of turning in a superb attacking performance in the much maligned 3-5-2 formation.

I put tonights performance down to the fluency and quick movement of the ball in the middle of the park, that came from having two midfielders who had a desire to distribute the ball and switch up play, moreso than the formation. As we seen when Ness went off, we came under sustained pressure.

the 3 5 2 against motherwell was a mess.

if you play wingers against a 3 5 2 you will tear it appart.

Purpose is to press the wingers, anyway. If your wing backs don't do their job then you're fucked, much like if your fullbacks fall asleep in any kind of four-at-the-back formation.

Good teams always exploit the space between the Wing Back and Right/Left Centre Back (depending on the side) meaning they get pulled out to deal with the attacker/stop the cross.

I also think it is more difficult to retain possession in the opposition half, especially if they play 4-4-2 as they only have one wide player to deal with and if they leave their winger high it can often restrict the wing backs attacking threat, or result in centre backs getting pulled out as above.

Not a system I'd like to keep if i'm honest, but it worked well tonight

3-5-2 certainly has it's place for some games depending who is available and who we are lining up against, but play it for a full season and you will see plenty games it doesn't work nearly as well as it did tonight, though it did work fucking fantastically tonight.

There can be several problems some of which have already been mentioned - unless the full backs are fit as fuck and on their game, the central defensive 3 can be dragged about something terrible and a lot of space left for the opposition to exploit. On the other hand if the full backs are being pushed back and are focusing properly on their defensive duties it can become a 5-3-2 and easy to get overrun further up the pitch.

EXCELLENT option for us to have up our sleeve and trust Ally to plan when best to use it just like tonight, but I definitely wouldn't want to see us lining up every game that way. Saying that, the personel we have just now doesn't really suit a flat 4-4-2 as our strongest formation either tbh, and I tend to think a 4-3-3 would be our best bet for the majority of games (assuming we can hold onto any of our current players).

Imagine a midfield 3 of McCabe, Ness and Davis, with Naismith and Aluko on either side supporting a lone striker...tasty! Edu and Little kicking about too who can both slot in, and even Kerkar has been doing well too recently. True enough that Aluko is at his most dangerous further inside, but he was doing very well even before we moved him in from the wing for the Old Firm game.

I really feel we have quite a few options middle to front just now (with the exception of a proper good striker), and have the tools to switch up our tactics as and when it's needed. Makes it all the more gutting what has happened to us off the field this season, as even with Naismiths injury which hit us extremely hard, I still reckon we'd have taken this league this season had it not been for so much other shit occupying everyones minds.