40 years since Barcelona. Alfie Conn

cenotaph

Not if the pinciple is to provide for your family.

I would never work for the tims no matter what they were offering.

We all provide for family but are you telling me the other clubs who wanted him had players queuing up at the soup kitchens.

No they lived a comfortable life like most of us so it was about one thing and one thing only for him.

Money

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Exactly. So why after helping us win the European Cup Winners Cup should we hold him in less regard than Kenny Miller, Mark Brown, Steven Pressley etc??

He offered himself to Rangers at the time and they weren't interested.

If your best mate stopped supporting The Rangers and went to start supporting celtic, how would you feel? It's understandable how the punters would hate him for this. In relation to the other players you mentioned, Miller got a chance to come back and do damage to them, which he did. it does not make it any better but it makes it easier to accept. Mark Brown and Pressley? Give me peace, who actually cares about they two no marks.

I would never work for the tims no matter what they were offering.

We all provide for family but are you telling me the other clubs who wanted him had players queuing up at the soup kitchens.

No they lived a comfortable life like most of us so it was about one thing and one thing only for him.

Money

We're not talking about modern day footballers.

Even though Alfie was a pro footballer for some big clubs he never became rich from football. It's not like now a days where playing for a second or third tier team in England would still make you an excellent living. It was 1977, the difference between making a reasonable living with Celtic and what the other lower teams could offer wouldn't be worth thinking about.

I pity for your family if you wouldn't work for Celtic to provide for them, I have worked for Celtic when I was younger in a bid to further my career, as it happened it didn't work out but I would have no problem working for them if there was no other comparable means of income.

Even though Alfie was a pro footballer for some big clubs he never became rich from football. It's not like now a days where playing for a second or third tier team in England would still make you an excellent living. It was 1977, the difference between making a reasonable living with Celtic and what the other lower teams could offer wouldn't be worth thinking about.

I pity for your family if you wouldn't work for Celtic to provide for them, I have worked for Celtic when I was younger in a bid to further my career, as it happened it didn't work out but I would have no problem working for them if there was no other comparable means of income.

Are you actually Alfie Conn?

If your best mate stopped supporting The Rangers and went to start supporting celtic, how would you feel? It's understandable how the punters would hate him for this. In relation to the other players you mentioned, Miller got a chance to come back and do damage to them, which he did. it does not make it any better but it makes it easier to accept. Mark Brown and Pressley? Give me peace, who actually cares about they two no marks.

He didn't stop supporting Rangers! You are mixing up supporting Celtic and Working for Celtic!

Are you actually Alfie Conn?

Haha, no.

I just know him and know he's a really decent guy, he's a Rangers fan, he wouldn't have played for Celtic if he didn't have to and he's disappointed by the way some Rangers feel about him now.

Thats your choice to work for them not mine I am afraid.

I never compared wages with todays footballers so why that cropped up only you know.

I said players at other clubs back then lived all right and they did, fact.

He chose the most money, fact.

Oh and don't pity my family please, they are well looked after.

I would never worked for that corrupt, terrorist supporting, child abusing organisation mate.

You did, you live with it.

If you can forgive Kenny Miller,then you can forgive alfie Conn. :beer1:

How does that work?

Alfie was a hero to some Bears, like Maurice Johnstone was to the other lot.

Once you have earned greatness like Alfie Conn did, you cant abuse that status and expect no-one to take you to task for it.

Exactly. So why after helping us win the European Cup Winners Cup should we hold him in less regard than Kenny Miller, Mark Brown, Steven Pressley etc??

He offered himself to Rangers at the time and they weren't interested.

Its for that very reason that you gave, and the very publuc u-turn in 1977.

Love hurts.

Haha, no.

I just know him and know he's a really decent guy, he's a Rangers fan, he wouldn't have played for Celtic if he didn't have to and he's disappointed by the way some Rangers feel about him now.

Quite right Chambo, good points made too.

I myself would never have played for 'that lot' no matter how much money was on offer... to be cheered by 'their' mhanky fans just wouldn't entice me to play.

So Alfie did.... I now say so what ? Others will Always hate him for that (same as 'taigs' and some of our own hating MO)

For those on here moaning about Alfie .... time to grow-up I'd say given that in essence, it actually doesn't affect your own life and what you do every day whether some dude played for 'us' 'them' ... your OWN Life is MORE important... do what You want to, be happy and cheer up, you support The Rangers after all :uk:

I'd imagine that in his quieter moments Alfie will think to himself ... what a tool I was to have played for 'them' with hoops on too looking like a dork.

Rangers Forever (newco or not) :crabflute::21: :21: :21::uk:

Haha, no.

Likewise, some of us are very disappointed with him. (tu)

I need to read that and not laugh; which isn't easy. It would make a good board game for anyone who enjoys having dinner parties.

Cant you remember the glum expression on his coupon as he picked up that cup winners medal in 1977?

Cant you remember the glum expression on his coupon as he picked up that cup winners medal in 1977?

I've seen a photo of him looking happy as a sand boy after that final; I expect it was because Billy McNeil had just told him the team were all heading to Jim Baxter's pub for the post-match celebration.

I've seen a photo of him looking happy as a sand boy after that final; I expect it was because Billy McNeil had just told him the team were all heading to Jim Baxter's pub for the post-match celebration.

The traditional selik sash-up.(tu)

Thats your choice to work for them not mine I am afraid.

I never compared wages with todays footballers so why that cropped up only you know.

I said players at other clubs back then lived all right and they did, fact.

He chose the most money, fact.

Oh and don't pity my family please, they are well looked after.

I would never worked for that corrupt, terrorist supporting, child abusing organisation mate.

You did, you live with it.

Cool, I will.