Great Matches Of European Football

SS have started showing the greatest ever European games so decoded to record it earlier.

Well just stuck it on there & the 2nd game was the 1960 Champion Club Cup Final.

Real Madrid 7 Eintracht Frankfurt 3

And my word what a team Real had back then :praise: Di Steffano & Puskàs were unreal,tore Frankfurt to shreads :lol:

SS have started showing the greatest ever European games so decoded to record it earlier.

Well just stuck it on there & the 2nd game was the 1960 Champion Club Cup Final.

Real Madrid 7 Eintracht Frankfurt 3

And my word what a team Real had back then :praise: Di Steffano & Puskàs were unreal,tore Frankfurt to shreads :lol:

The scary thing is that Eintracht had destroyed us 12-4 on aggregate in the semis!

The thing about the Eintracht game at Ibrox was when Ian MacMillian spoke about at half time the players were knackered and had been run ragged.............and when they went into the dressing room at half time ...........there was Scot Symon sitting in the corner drinking a cup of tea and never said a word.

Back in the the 60s there seemed more magic to the European games .maybe due to the lack of coverage you got...But when Real came to play us and Inter well the buzz was

something else. Recall the Real game my dad taking me to that and when Inter came (not the over the hill reserve team of 67 those cunts played) heading over the road straight from Primary school , with sandwiches in my school bag for the game and we only lived 10 minutes from the park lol.

And as someone else mentioned on here the Slavi Sofia semi and also the Borussia Dortmund game when we knocked them out as holders , they had beat Liverpool at Hampden the year before and that magnificent 0-0 in the return game to go through 2-1 and their goal at Ibrox should never have been allowed as Ziggy Held (spelling) was off the park behind the bye line then came back on and played the ball.

But the return game was a tremendous team performance for 0-0 , sure it was Norrie Martin in goal that night.

The thing which strikes me about old high-scoring games is how poor the standard of goalkeeping was in them. Maybe the big heavy woollen jumpers restricted their agility.

Lack of proper training, mo goalkeeper protection from the refs, big heavy balls, horrid pitches and teams only having a couple of defenders led to this. 2-3-5 formation was the norm. Before that in the 1910's and 20's the good old 2-0-8 formation was in force. Needless to say Craig Levien wasnt a manager back then :lol: