Angelo Di Livio

The Fiorentina story isn't one I was too aware of until our own situation, and i've been looking at as it's another example of the club being the exact same even if the company changed.

Like we have to do (vote is a formality) they had to start very low down in Serie C2. A good story that comes out of that is Angelo Di Livio, the only player who decided to stick with them, and stay he did right up till they were back in the top flight. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angelo_Di_Livio

Our player situation looks grim but here's hoping we can have one or two like De Livio. McCulloch looks the best bet, and while i've never been a fan it would make him more of a legend than any of these other guys.

Fiorentina were a completely new club, for a short time.

As I understood it, no one purchased their footballing assets, meaning a new club was formed just a few months after the old one had gone out of existence. This meant a new name/badge etc. A few years later, I think they were able to buy the old name and badge.

I am sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

As I understood it, no one purchased their footballing assets, meaning a new club was formed just a few months after the old one had gone out of existence. This meant a new name/badge etc. A few years later, I think they were able to buy the old name and badge.

Certainly always seem to have had the same stadium.

according to uefa they have always been the same club. The uefa website still has their full history including the company winding up

He was 36 when Fiorentina went to Serie C2. If they hadn't been demoted then in all reality he would have probably retired or been forced to drop down the divisions with another club anyway. I think it will be quite similar with us that the players most likely to stick around will be the older ones like McCulloch or Healy.

As I mentioned in another thread 'The Little Soldier' became the 'Guardian Angel.'

Don't forget that Gabriel Batistuta dropped down to Serie B with Fio and stayed with them, scoring the goals to take them back too the top. (tu)

Batigol can do it but Naismith can't...? <cr>(td) Someone has ideas above their station methinks!

Unfortunately, there will be few Di Livio's at the club, whether liking McCullough or not for his playing skills, I personally would put him in with legends if he stays to help Ally and the cause, this is now the hour of need from the playing staff, this is their time to become legends.....some, I fear, will not get past looking after themselves after lining their own pockets.......paid by the supporters...what goes around comes around.

He was 36 when Fiorentina went to Serie C2. If they hadn't been demoted then in all reality he would have probably retired or been forced to drop down the divisions with another club anyway. I think it will be quite similar with us that the players most likely to stick around will be the older ones like McCulloch or Healy.

An Italian international could still probably have had a better offer at that age, or retirement could have been more favourable than a lower division slog.

While not having to fight clubs off McCulloch could still get something better than SFL3, so if he stays it will be fantastic of him.

I think that you're thinking of Napoli.