The Moment You Knew You'd Be Rangers For Life

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't remember being anything else. I had no choice. My earliest memories are of sitting on my old man's knee watching George Reeves as Superman, and on his shoulders watching the pre season trial matches at Ibrox. It was out of my hands I'm afraid.

I would say just when I was about 6 or 7 when I first experienced a game at Ibrox and just my old man sitting for hours telling me story after story about his times watching Rangers through the years I also remember him saying I think it was after we reached the Uefa Cup final the next day he said all he wanted from me in life was me to love Rangers as much as he does and that I had done him more than proud.

Not one particular moment or one particular day.

My earliest memories are of when my dad started taking me to games in the 60's. We used to meet my classmate and his dad in the West Enclosure. I vividly remember standing waving up to my aunt in the main stand where she was a season ticket holder ---remember this was the 1960's.

That memory plus the pie and bovril (real bovril) got me hooked.

Must be when I turned the corner after coming out the subway and looked up the hill and seen our wonderful stadium when I was around seven. It was just after Souness arrived and I'll never forget doing the bouncy in the east enclosure. Remember a guy lost his shoe, lol. I stood there in amazement for the full game looking at M'coist as if he was God. Well I suppose he was/is. My dad only went to a few games a season so after a few years I started to go myself and skip in. Used to lock my bike up outside the subway and then get to the stadium

but it was not a lift over. I used to hug people's legs as they went through, lol. My mates hardly ever came because they were worried about getting into trouble if caught. I've seen me sometimes getting worried because nobody would help me skip in and just taken a run at the solid turnstiles in the Copland and just slide right under up to my arse then struggle through and run away from the staff if spotted. Then it was time to try and find an empty seat. I hated when this happened as it would kill me to have to look over at the east enclosure. Wish the enclosures were still there. Strange how these early days set seeds as I still prefer to go to the stadium by the subway. Hardly ever went by other means. Still gives me a buzz bouncing up the stairs to be confronted by our stadium and thousands of my fellow bears. Just writing this has brought back so many good memories so thanks to the OP. Been late a few times and it always makes me laugh to see hundreds of grown men running towards the stadium as if their lives were on the line with a few usually taking tumbles :lol:

The first game I really remember bouncing up and down going mad 2 was a game where Terry butcher scored at both ends ( possibly twice for us) . If anyone knows the game and date I would be very grateful as I could probably pinpoint my real obsession starting then ?? :):crabflute:

Think that was away to the sheep in 1986 to win our first title in 9 or so years. One was an OG. Fantastic day :21:

When I was at primary school the entire class supported Man U or Liverpool except for me and I remember sitting in class one snowy morning with tears in my eyes due to the fear and likelihood of not being able to go to Ibrox the next day due to the weather and sailings being cancelled. I couldn't think about anything else that day, ran home from school to see if my da had rang about wether or not we'd be going. Luckily the bad weather didn't win so to speak and I got to go to Ibrox the next day. I knew then, Rangers would always be my team.

Probably never sat down and thought about it, but watching us lose 6-2 at my grans, with everyone else in the house supporting 'them' only made me even more determined to enjoy our success. Just under 2 years later I sat in the same seat to watch Peter Lovenkrands score that last minute winner.

When I was 4 or 5 my Dad took me to my first football match I can't remember that much about the game but I do remember singing follow follow when we where waiting to get in, my Dad told me to shut up, that was the moment I knew i was a Rangers man for life.

P.S. Forgot to say my Dad is a fan of the mhanky mob and that was outside the tattie dome. WATP :21::uk:

It's always been Rangers for life for me but my proudest moment had to be the sell-out Kilmarnock game just after we went into admin.

I don't get to many games but that whole day made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up!

Can't define any particular moment,I inherited my love of all things Rangers through the bloodline mate.

Same here,have lived in Hampshire and now Shepherds Bush and myself and my sister are the only members of our family not born in Scotland-its always there for me as a family thing. You are born into it. Crazy thing is I have only had a season ticket when a student at Keele( Near Stoke ) and will always thank the Lord for Ally for starting and running a Stoke bus-good times. I can't remember a moment when I 'knew' I just was!

the first time i walked up the steps at Ibrox v Ayr United in 1976, never forget the sheer size of the place,would love to get the programme for said game,i collected them all from league games to John Griegs testimonial etc.,fck knows what happened to them,so frustrating,can you remember the wee programmes you used to get,about 4 in tall and about 8 in wide,travelled through to Glasgow on the train,then subway,[even got a taxi to the JG testimonial,first time in a black hack] and still only in 2nd year at high school.

As for Ranger for life,i would say it was cemented after coming home from Shittodrie after winning the title in Souness first title,and the burd i was staying with at the time,would not let me in the house,shouting 'you love Rangers more than you love me' to which my drunken reply was 'you're fckn right i do'

When i wakened up at my parents house the next morning i thought,oh fck what have i done'then after much deliberation i thought,know what she is fckn right,needless to say i was back at Ibrox next season and never set foot in her house again......

Think that was away to the sheep in 1986 to win our first title in 9 or so years. One was an OG. Fantastic day :21:

Thanks bud , much appreciated . Probs where my hatred of the sheep came from aswell. :) I was 4 which feels nuts , probs my earliest memory :)