loyalty what loyalty

robg58

Player Loyalty Amiss at Rangers

July 5th, 2012 Redkat

Ibrox, Rangers

By Gary Christie

LOYALTY. WHAT LOYALTY?

My concerns about loyalty in football remain. Now I’m not naive, trust me! But one still clings onto the notion that some players/coaches/managers have some loyalty even if it can never reach the level that most fans show. I cling onto this because fans blindly pay their money to watch their “heroes” and buy their merchandise. These days they follow them on twitter and hang on to every word they say, or tweet – and believe them.

The debacle at Rangers though has now shown us yet again what loyalty means to some players. Nothing. Yes their former paymasters were bad. Yes the club is in ruins at the moment and will take a lot of building back up. Yes the SPL is at its absolute weakest just now. But certain RFC players have bleated on about this being a great club with great fans and a great history. They said they were proud to wear the shirt and to represent the most successful domestic club side in football history. Then guess what? They left! They decided not only to show their true colours but do it in such a cruel way that denies cash strapped Rangers any chance of some precious transfer fees.

Naming and very much shaming then; Steven Davis, Allan McGregor, Steven Naismith, Jamie Ness, Steven Whittaker, Juan Ortiz, John Fleck, Sone Aluko, Rhys McCabe and Kyle Lafferty have all refused to have their contracts transferred to the Newco Rangers from the old company and therefore have left for free showing absolutely no loyalty whatsoever to the FANS of Rangers FC, who don’t lose their history when the company name changes.

Steven Davies lodged objections to a “newco” Rangers

Davis was given the prestigious captains armband at the club, Steven Naismith hardly kicked a ball because of injury last season and was rehabilitated during injury by RFC, Ness, Fleck, McCabe and not forgetting Gregg Wylde were all given their very chance in the professional game by Rangers and have all chosen to not repay any of that faith and support. Sone Aluko was taken from obscurity in the game and has also chosen to wash his hands of the clubs fans and leave.

Whatever rubbish is spouted by the above players and tarted up as ‘reasons for leaving’ would only work if every one of the clubs old employees did the same out of principal. They haven’t. McCoist is still there, ageing by the minute and trying his best to rescue his club, Lee Wallace and Lee McCulloch have pledged their futures to the new club saying quite rightly that the fans are the same fans, so it’s the same club regardless of what company name it now goes under.

Ally McCoist faces uncertain future

Football really is a brutal game now and it’s made me quite emotionless towards individual players. I like to watch my teams play and hope they do well, but will find it very difficult to ever again believe what a football player says publicly and will never be surprised when they leave.

About the Author:

Gary has been involved in writing and professional sports betting for over 13 years. His experience has seen him take work with newspapers, racing magazines & websites as well as talking in person to race goers at the track. He has also run various racing advisory services including for Channel 4 teletext and has appeared on ‘AtTheRaces’. Gary has also written a book entitled The Football Betting Science.

Alukos contract had expired and he didnt want to renew as is his perogative. The others had contracts still outstanding and chose not to honour them. So there is a difference albeit a very slight difference between Aluko and the rest of the contract rhebels.

Alukos contract had expired and he didnt want to renew as is his perogative. The others had contracts still outstanding and chose not to honour them. So there is a difference albeit a very slight difference between Aluko and the rest of the contract rhebels.

I'd be loathe to point the finger at Ortiz also,because let's face it,Ally didn't exactly fill Ortiz with much hope of getting a decent run when he was here last season.....and I certainly can't put Aluko in the same basket as the others who fucked off without us getting a fee for them.

We had a two year option on aluko, he bollted before we had a chance to renew it. TRAITOR!