Super cooper

hammer93

One of the saddest days ever as a bear was the day i heard that coop had left to

join motherwell for 50k.I adored coop and it was end of an era for me, but what

upset me most was we signed Davie fucking Dodds the same day for 100k.A bit like

trading a merc in for mini and paying the salesman. :mad:

One of the saddest days ever as a bear was the day i heard that coop had left to

join motherwell for 50k.I adored coop and it was end of an era for me, but what

upset me most was we signed Davie fucking Dodds the same day for 100k.A bit like

trading a merc in for mini and paying the salesman. :mad:

Souness wanted Coop to stay but Davie wanted first team football and Souness couldn't guarantee that.

As for Dodds being some kind of replacement? - Davie was a one Off - No one could replace him.

never heard a bad word about davie cooper.

on the bus home from two in a row (recent) the first song on the bus was was davie cooper on the wing!

did he have any flaws. thats not a question.

Story goes that he played much better if he had a winner at the horses - big betting man was Davie.

Flaws? Like every other player he had both good and bad games.

A lot of people said he lacked a right foot - Trust me, he didn't need one.

never heard a bad word about davie cooper.

on the bus home from two in a row (recent) the first song on the bus was was davie cooper on the wing!

did he have any flaws. thats not a question.

Flaws? Hell yes. Cooper was lazy, one footed, and a terrible goalkeeper :P

But his sheer genious outweighed his flaws, by a long long way.

Never seen much of Cooper what modern player would (slightly) older bears compare him to?

As close to a Scottish Zidane as we will ever have

Always remember when we sold him to Motherwell he got the only 10/10 from the ratings the Daily Record used to be famous for back in the day.

Souness wanted Coop to stay but Davie wanted first team football and Souness couldn't guarantee that.

As for Dodds being some kind of replacement? - Davie was a one Off - No one could replace him.

and thank fuck we didn't get a replacement for dodds,I'd have had to gouge my eyes out

Back round about 1976-77 we played Clydebank at Ibrox. IIRC it was in the League Cup.

I remember it being a wet miserable night.

I also remember a wee winger by the name of Cooper dancing around some pretty wild tackles from John Greig and generally giving Mr Greig a bit of a roasting. Much of the talk on the bus going home was about how we wished we could sign Cooper.

The rest is history and the wee man gave us fortunate enough to see him some marvelous memories :praise:

I can remember the Steedman brothers who owned Clydebank greeting to the papers about big bad Rangers stealing Super - best £100k we ever spent in our lives. (The story went that the Steedmans got him to sign for Clydebank with the takings of the puggy from the social club)

The only one who compared since was Laudrup but even he wasn't a match. Always seemed to me he wanted to rip the knitting out of they big bad defenders and OMG how good it was to watch. That video brought a wee tear to the eye.

To paraphrase a certain Mel Gibson........... they may take our place in the SPL, they may take our money, they may take diabolical liberties with our future but THEY'LL NEVER TAKE OUR MEMORIES

Rest in Peace Davie - Simply the Best

Seem to remember his being nickname Albert Tatlock for his moany moods after he lost at the bookies.

But when you can play like that man could you can moan all you like.

Watched that game against the Bankies when he ripped us apart.

We used to sign a few like that after they played well against us.

John Brown was another one if I recall it right.

Messi never played well agianst us so thats probably why we never signed him :lol:

Cooper playing on his game was the best I have seen anyway.