The Whittaker Thread

JR

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can see the Hutton at RB and Whittaker playing RM/W.

That would be even worse tbh playing a rightback costing £1.8m out of position.

It makes no sense at all and it would be a massive risk to do that as it will be harder for him to settle. ;)

I dont understand why we'd pay that, even buy him and play him out of position.

I don't either mate, I'm just trying to justify it.

We have a habit of playing guy's out of position. Can they not see that it DOES NOT work??

I know.

It's different if the transfer window is shut and we don't have anyone else to play in the position, but when you buy someone to play him out of position it is a bit obscene.

We have a habit of playing guy's out of position. Can they not see that it DOES NOT work??

Ian Murray feck knows his natural position

Novo is a centre forward not a right winger.

Prso used to play wide left.

Burke has played left wing.

Adam plays left midfield when he is a attacking midfielder.

By saying that it looks to be the right & left midfield that should be top priority.

I would take Whittaker - i like him goin forward - i just wouldnt want to pay the figures quoted.

He is a RB, nothing else - i would only want him covering for an injured Hutton.

i would only want him covering for an injured Hutton.

Can we afford to spend a decent percentage of our budget on a back-up though ?

Can we afford to spend a decent percentage of our budget on a back-up though ?

Maybe we can - who knows....but i doubt it.

Thats why i mentioned in my last post i didnt want to pay the prices quoted.

In saying that tho...how much walt has to spend is one of the windows best kept secrets

Ian Murray feck knows his natural position

Novo is a centre forward not a right winger.

Prso used to play wide left.

Burke has played left wing.

Adam plays left midfield when he is a attacking midfielder.

By saying that it looks to be the right & left midfield that should be top priority.

Prso began his career as a creative midfielder!

this should please some people:

Hibernian chief executive Rod Petrie has rejected rumours linking Steven Whittaker with a possible move to Rangers.

Reports in Scotland over the weekend suggested Rangers had made a bid for the highly-rated defender.

Petrie has moved to rubbish the reports saying there has been no offers for Whittaker and says that Hibs boss John Collins is concentrating on bringing in new players rather than losing anyone.

"We have had no bids or offers for Steven or anyone else and we are not looking for any," Petrie told the Scotsman.

"All discussions with John are about bringing players in, not letting players go.

"There are stories in the newspapers every day, but things are relatively quiet in the football world with managers and players on vacation.

"The new season starts on August 4 and we will be ready with a squad shaped by John."

Sky Sports

• 3 weeks later...
Well according to the majority of Hibs fans, Whittaker will become a Rangers player in the near future.

(td) where will he play? Faubert will play on the right with Hutton?

I'm assuming he's a back-up plan if we don't get Faubert.

What a come-down though, eh ?

A £5m French Internationalist to a Hibs player!

Whittaker can play at RB though so maybe he will be back up to Hutton, or more than back up, serious competition to bring the best out of both of them

I would say that is a fair assumption

Good news

JOHN COLLINS unveiled his five new signings and then vowed today not to let any more of his stars leave Easter Road this summer....David Murphy, Steven Whittaker, we're not interested in selling them. We needed to boost the squad and we have done that with the boys that we have brought in so far but the most pleasing aspect is that we have strengthened right through the spine of the side.

Over-rated and over-priced!

In for Whittaker

RANGERS have begun moves to bring Hibs star Steven Whittaker to Ibrox in a £1.8m deal.

SportTimes understands boss Walter Smith - who today closed in on £2.5m Osasuna defender Carlos Cuellar after he flew in to Glasgow - wants Whittaker to bolster his options on the right side.

Rangers switched their attention to the 23-year-old after their move for Bordeaux's French midfielder Julien Faubert collapsed last weekend over his £6m-plus fee.

Whittaker is currently in Austria with John Collins' Hibs squad at their pre-season training camp.

advertisementBut it is believed a deal will be struck for the player, who has watched pals like Scott Brown, Derek Riordan, Kevin Thomson, Ian Murray and Gary Caldwell all move to the Old Firm in the past couple of years.

Hibs denied last month that they had agreed a deal to sell the player to Rangers, but moves are going on behind the scenes and the player is keen to make the switch.

Birmingham City, Bolton, Middlesbrough and Celtic have all been impressed with Whittaker's progress in the past couple of seasons, but Rangers now hope to land him.

Smith needs competition in the right back area with Alan Hutton the only recognised player for that position.

The 6ft 1in Whittaker has also excelled in a right-midfield role, and his versatility means he can also operate in central defence as well.

As first revealed in SportTimes on May 16, Osasuna stopper Cuellar has been a major target of the summer and Smith hopes to conclude the formalities of his signing today.

Cuellar was undergoing his medical, while agent Pedro Bravo held contract talks with Chief Executive Martin Bain, and Rangers hope to parade the Spaniard as their seventh signing of the summer later today.

The player flew in last night from Pamplona after the clubs agreed a fee at the third time of asking.

Osasuna officials today said Rangers had agreed to pay £2.5m for the 25-year-old, who will earn £15,000 a week on a four-year contract.

Smith has backed away from the Steven Naismith saga and is believed to be looking at other targets who are on his list.

A striker and another midfielder remain high on the priorities, while Stevie Smith's fitness situation will be monitored over the next few weeks before a decision is taken on whether a new left back is required.

Smith has until July 25 to sign players for the first leg of the Champions League qualifier against Zeta or Kaunas at Ibrox six days later.

The Gers boss would still like to off-load the likes of Libor Sionko, while young defender Antoine Ponroy, who was brought in last year under Paul Le Guen and still has a year to go on his deal, has been allowed