The training techniques

Swagger

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As many have said, we're missing a fantastic opportunity to develop a playing style that is pleasing on the eye to all concerned. If we got nipped 1-1 with the team playing fantastic footy and just got caught on the break, we'd somehow accept it because we'd see the improvements they were trying to make.

We should have upwards of 70% possession at this level and the players at our disposal but we look so disjointed it's a joke. We have full time players (well that's debatable) against part-timers and we look unfit. However, we look shite! Last week's 5-1 papered over some cracks but we looked crap that day as well for the first 30-40 mins. Shite in Peterhead, poor at Ibrox, shite in midweek and then crap yesterday - it's simply unacceptable and if it takes 1 month of full time training OF THE CORRECT NATURE to get it sorted then get the lazy fuckers in and if they don't like it show them the door.

Didn't Matt McKay slate our training methods saying we just play games or something like that?

It wasn't what he was used when he came here from Barca, Now he's playing with Inter he's noticed vast improvements in Training.

Messi and Ronaldo must train 23 hours a day by that thinking :unsure:

Skillful, Argentinian Number 10's and Portuguese wingers (their nominal positions I know) are not exactly a rarety though. I admit that the simple act of going outside to play football with your friends seems to be dying amongst Scottish kids, something we could address in even a small way. But Messi was brought to Barcelona as a kid, and the impact of training properly can't be a fluke given the other world class players who've had the same tuition. Similarly, it's not pure chance that his team mates can get the ball from the opposition, pass to each other and give themselves options without even thinking.

I know we can't be Barcelona and honestly, this isn't only a knee-jerk reaction to yesterday's farce. It's been a problem for years.

11.50 am!!! Not enough of :anguish: can sum this up. A fucking disgrace cannot get my head round this still happening.

McKay has a lot to learn and should be still getting developed, not fucking yipee on my way home before lunch. Could this question not get addressed at a shareholders meeting or the RST raise it? I see it as the most fundamental issue affecting our club.

See the mhanks wheel some pikey out from nowhere and seems more than capable. Why not us??

He should be wanting to better himself, he shouldnt need anyone to tell him. He probably thinks he has made it now because he has played a few minutes here and there for the first team. He certainly has not. He could practice shooting, taking free kicks, whipping crosses in, one on skills, anything, he can do as much ball work as he likes but no, he has to get a hair cut and probably go spend his wages on designer clothes to look good. All that is wrong with the Scottish footballer there.

I completely agree with both bold bits.

McKay has so much more to learn and so much better to get but with that attitude and an unwillingness to learn or improve he will never make it.

PLG was doing something right in that we kept possession well but were just toothless. DA improved players enormously most notably BF.

A PLG-type would be fantastic right now. No egos to be threatened by making necessary changes, a vision to run the club from top to bottom and no obsession with having to beat them at all costs.

It's no coincidence that it took Advocaat to come in for someone like Ferguson to be given his chance. I can still remember the shock at watching a young Scottish Rangers player do that Leverkusen turn. And DA even gave the team simple shape too - Kanchelskis was never up to much for us imo, but just knowing where he was supposed to be on the pitch made a massive difference to others.

Right Guys I spoke to my Stepson is a Chef who works in the DW Stadium at Wigan , and he speaks to Martinez regularly .

He says they are in by 08.30 am, a bit of light Breakfast, and on the Pitch for around 09.30, he says they are Training until around 14.30 .That's 5 Days a Week .Says if they Draw or get Beat no Day off, if its a Win then its next Day off.

I asked him what type of training, and he says Martinez mainly concentrates on Ball work as well as some Phys.

He says Martinez is a bit of a Ball skill freak, and Tactics are covered in that too. But mainly Skills Technique. So that's 5 Hours a Day 5 Times a Week .All very structured .

It would appear to me that some of the Youth are picking up poor standards of Technique Training , and if you want to compete at the Top of your Game /Sport you must develop the Techniques to be that .

Its one thing Running but running, and Dribbling with a Ball is different .Some of our guys cant even take Free Kicks .

You have to Practice your Craft otherwise you will get Skill Fade .

Right Guys I spoke to my Stepson is a Chef who works in the DW Stadium at Wigan , and he speaks to Martinez regularly .

He says they are in by 08.30 am, a bit of light Breakfast, and on the Pitch for around 09.30, he says they are Training until around 14.30 .That's 5 Days a Week .Says if they Draw or get Beat no Day off, if its a Win then its next Day off.

I asked him what type of training, and he says Martinez mainly concentrates on Ball work as well as some Phys.

He says Martinez is a bit of a Ball skill freak, and Tactics are covered in that too. But mainly Skills Technique. So that's 5 Hours a Day 5 Times a Week .All very structured .

It would appear to me that some of the Youth are picking up poor standards of Technique Training , and if you want to compete at the Top of your Game /Sport you must develop the Techniques to be that .

Its one thing Running but running, and Dribbling with a Ball is different .Some of our guys cant even take Free Kicks .

You have to Practice your Craft otherwise you will get Skill Fade .

firstly - thanks for this, good insight

secondly - fuck me!!! That wouldn't surprise me to be fair - I've watched wigan alot the last few years and they've ALWAYS retained possession well and focussed on movement. I've read most of this topic and agree with the majority of posts - we're missing a major opportunity to focus our game on ball rentention, movement and tactics.

The tactics are non existent sometimes and fitness can only get you so far, we need a system in place that focuses on a pressing game with short sharp passing.

What I don't understand, is it's clear for EVERYONE to see that we are miles behind European teams in terms of technique and tactic implementation, but if we focus on running all day (which we supposedly do) why are they fitter than us too? We should run and press teams of the park.... But we sit off and look jaded !!!

A new coaching approach is needed 

I spoke to my Stepson is a Chef who works in the DW Stadium at Wigan...

And Martinez manages to keep a team with 4 Scottish (sort of) first-team regulars in the Premier League too, he should get manager of the year for that achievement alone. McCarthy apart, they're not that young either - if you're fit enough, not being able to learn or get better with practice at a certain age just doesn't hold for me.

To quote the great man:

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses - behind the lines, in the gym, and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali.

Different sport, similar sentiment should apply I think.