Ally McCoist accepts brickbats for Rangers’ stuttering start to season

ray

Published on Saturday 22 September 2012 00:00

ALLY McCoist has accepted he deserves criticism for Rangers’ stuttering start to life as a Third Division club but insists his experience of abuse from the Ibrox support as a player will help him cope with what is the first hint of an on-the-field crisis in his managerial career.

Rangers’ midweek Ramsdens Cup quarter-final exit at home to Queen of the South has intensified scrutiny of McCoist, who has also seen his team drop six points from their opening five league games to sit fourth in the Third Division table. McCoist now faces a potentially pivotal seven days in Rangers’ season, with tomorrow’s league fixture against Montrose at Ibrox followed by a midweek League Cup tie at home to Motherwell and then next Saturday’s Scottish Cup second-round trip to face Highland League champions Forres Mechanics.

Lauded by the Rangers support for his fortitude during the club’s crisis off the pitch this year, McCoist knows that status will not protect him from their disapproval if results do not improve quickly.

The club’s all-time leading goalscorer, who will celebrate his 50th birthday on Monday, displayed great resilience to overcome the serious doubts of the Rangers fans during the early years of his playing career and is ready to draw on that inner strength once more. “When I had that tough time as a player here I always said it would allow me to handle just about anything in football and I still think that’s the case,” said McCoist. “There are a lot of people who probably don’t remember that it wasn’t always a bed of roses for me as a player. So it’s fine, I deserve to take the criticism when results aren’t going well. It goes with the territory, it’s natural.

“It is fair. Whether I think it is fair or unfair, it is going to happen anyway. Why should I not be judged the same as everybody else? It is results that managers get judged on and I appreciate and accept that. I wouldn’t be looking for anything other than that. It won’t make me crawl under the bed and go away, that’s for sure. We will march on. We lost a game on penalties on Tuesday night and it’s a big disappointment but we have an opportunity to go down the right road and get ourselves three points on Sunday.

“If you asked me what is success for our football club this year, it is stability, playing every week, people getting their wages, the tax getting paid and us getting promotion from SFL3. That is where our club is and needs to be going. We need to be progressing. A lot of people might not like to hear that and, believe me, I am not saying it as a cop out. It is not a cop out. But, because of where we have been and where we want to get to, we won’t do it in one giant step. It is going to take a bit of time. That aside, we need to get promotion, that is the immediate target.”

While content to recognise the right of Rangers supporters to call him to account, McCoist also expressed the hope there will be a level of understanding over the drastically diminished circumstances the club. “We have to accept where we are as a team,” added McCoist. “I keep telling everyone we’re the same club but it’s not the same team. We aren’t the same team we were five years ago, we aren’t even the same team we were five months ago. It’s completely different. We are a new team with some youth and some very good SPL players. That’s where we are and we just hope that we get the chance to rebuild and stabilise. The club needs that after the last year or so.

“I can understand the frustration from certain quarters and I can accept that, of course I can. I can assure the support that I’ll continue as I always have done to do my best for Rangers and for them. I don’t take the criticism personally. It used to worry me because you want to be liked, you want to be popular and for people to write nice things about you but I’m over it, I really am.

“The fact is that I have a job to do and I’ve never said that it would happen overnight or that it would be easy. But I’ve got very good people around me and I have the utmost faith in this squad to get us out of this division, which is of paramount importance.

“I have always had a dream and a plan in my head to get us back to where I feel we belong and that is competing on an annual basis in Europe and performing in the top league. That is probably a lot further away than people realise due to what has happened in the club. There are a lot of level-headed and sensible people out there who realise where we are and what it is going to take to get us back there.”

Strange, after the abuse the fans gave him as a player, he worked on his game, used his internal drive and commitment, and improved beyond anything we could imagine to become one of our greatest ever players.

But some fans would still write him off as a manager so soon.

He got flack when he first started out with us as a player and came good.

Not saying he is the next Fergie but give him a break eh.

Oh and Fergie was piss when he started out at Man Utd.

Panic buttons are for extreme situations and going 2nd tommorrow with a win is not an emegency imo.

Getting promted after the shite we have had this year will be achived and thats fine by me.

We have to improve, of that there is no doubt, but lets judge Ally at the end of the season.

We stick with him and give him Time.

We must be patient, and realise where we are for now.

It is tough as lot of fans have been used to Trophys and League flags ,including myself but our support as Rangers fans should not be conditional on Results. Its what sets us apart from the others ,and they hate that.

Our enemys know we will be back thats why they cant stop talking about us.Ally deserves a chance and I got in to a few verbal spats with fans who used to shout abuse at him.He is a True Ranger and played for the jersey.

I seen that in him ,and he earned our respect

I know management is a different beast but we support him through this.

No Surrender.

Hey, what can I say, you're an interesting character! Never heard an opinion from you on the team, talk about tactics - it's always about the off field issues!

That is because you are selective in your agenda, as all stalkers are, an infatuation and an unhealthy one. :cgreen:

That is because you are selective in your agenda, as all stalkers are, an infatuation and an unhealthy one. :cgreen:

1. Slag off McCoist.

2. Call anyone who disagrees with you a stalker.

3. Post a picture of something entirely unrelated to the conversation.

Even you must be getting bored of this routine, surely?

There's problems at the club and I'm glad Ally can see that and is ready to shoulder the blame. By problems I mean on the field (which is Ally's domain) not off it. Ally must focus on getting this group of players to play better football and get results.

1. Slag off McCoist.

2. Call anyone who disagrees with you a stalker.

3. Post a picture of something entirely unrelated to the conversation.

Even you must be getting bored of this routine, surely?

No I am bored with you. :sherlock: