NHL Lockout

Marky.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_NHL_lockout

A lot of players looking for alternative clubs to play for as the lockout goes on.

Interesting to see Drew Miller, who won the Stanley Cup with Anaheim, coming over to Scotland to play with the Braehead Clan while the lockout goes on. A move that will only be good for the EIHL.

Seems some of the more experienced want to play at a higher level, a few have opted to go to some of the bigger European leagues.

what are the biggest leagues in Europe? Sweden Russia id imagine??

i remember being over in Prague during some tournament (may have been the winter olympics) and every bar we were in was packed with people watching ice hockey

what are the biggest leagues in Europe? Sweden Russia id imagine??

i remember being over in Prague during some tournament (may have been the winter olympics) and every bar we were in was packed with people watching ice hockey

Yeah Russian is huge, I think the Czech league is pretty big too.

Kontinental Hockey League (KHL), SM-liiga, Deutsche Eishockey Liga (DEL), Czech Extraliga (ELH), National League A (NLA) and the Elitserien (SEL)
these leagues are where many have headed according to the wiki page.

So is this looking like a season long thing like in 2004-05?

I wouldn't mind Gaborik at the Caps :pipe:

Don't really know to be honest. I hope so in the sense that the EIHL could potentially get a little recognition. Having Miller come and play with the Clan is absolutely huge, but considering Clan aren't the biggest team in the league, I wonder if anyone will join a team like Nottingham or Sheffield.

Hope not though, just because I really got into hockey last year so used to watch some games online and it was pretty exciting. If the season weren't to go ahead it would be a shame for that reason, though we could probably benefit from it.

I wonder if Drew Miller will tell his pal Pavel Datsyuk to come join the fun!

Most of the bigger players have headed to Europe with younger players staying with their junior teams or AHL teams in North America. Most will head to KHL teams while a few players have headed back to teams they were with during the 04-05 lockout. I am praying it ends soon but I will be surprised if we see any NHL for the rest of 2012.

They seem to be thinking it'll hold out until at least the turn of the year.

Three EIHL teams in Britain have now signed NHLers. Anthony Stewart from Carolina is at Nottingham, Ryan Miller from Detroit is at Braehead and Tom Sestito (Not a bonafide NHLer really) from Philly is at Sheffield. I sort of hope the lockout doesn't go on all season, as depending on the insurance/wages we're paying - the EIHL teams might not even be able to cope with these players being on their roster for longer than a few months.

I do question these players logic in coming here though. They'll be expected to put in massive shifts every night, albeit at a far lower level. And in a league with no reputation whatsoever.

But it's good for our game, and I'm glad they are here. Braehead have a press conference on Wednesday and it's confirmed that STV will be there - and we're hoping more of the mainstream media up here jump on board. Hopefully it pushes up our attendances!

I wonder if Drew Miller will tell his pal Pavel Datsyuk to come join the fun!

Datsyuk signed for CSKA Moscow during the lockout, KHL has a rule of only three NHL-ers per team allowed though. Some leagues like the Swedish top flight have a rule against short-term contracts for NHL-ers.

KHL overall as a league is pretty big, not that far off from the NHL.

It is first season for SLOVAN in KHL and there is NHL lock out so far .... what a great opportunity for Slovan to gain a success in KHL. Satan vs Oveckin on Sunday luckily for Oveckin, Chara chose Lev Prague so there is still option for Gaborik, Hossa or Handzus. There is full house every match in Bratislava now, really enjoying atmosphere and great games.

KHL seems to be project of european league in broad future, a chance for european countries to over step north-americans.