Goal Difference or Head to head?

Boab

You may or may not know, but in La Liga the League winners - if tied on points - is judged on head to head, before it going to goal difference.

Would you like this to happen in the SPL? I have done a little bit of research from our most recent 2 title wins, and it wouldn't have went against us actually. Here it goes:

The Season of 2002/2003 where we won the league on the last against Dunfermline, if that had been done on head to head before GD then we would have won 5-3.

The Season of Helicopter Sunday, it would have been a draw of 7-7.

My view is, it would be better to have it as head to head, giving even more importance (if there is can be such a thing) to Old Firm games and it ultimately the winning decision being more fairer?

Points against Goal Difference is that a team may have a n excellent defensive record but not so, an attack and vice versA?

What do you think?

Guest TheQueensXI

interesting idea, never really thought of it - and it does seem fair enough.

a lot more sensible than things the governing bodies come up with like gold/silver goals, league splits etc.

Dont think it would be based on goals but results m8. It would be impossible to incorporate in the SPL as we play teams up to 4 times whereas in Spain it is actually a realistic head to head ie 2 games, one home, one away.

I think head-to-head is a good idea. Stops teams like Dunfermline and St. Mirren throwing 10 men behind the ball constantly, and means that they have to keep playing for goals even if they are winning.

(I agree, however, that it wouldn't work in Scotland because of the way the league is setup.)

I'm confused by La Liga...why are Real above Barca on head to head? They won 2-1 in Barcelona but they lost the return 3-0...or have I got that wrong?

One point. Don't forget that goal difference reflects a team's attacking/scoring prowess throughout a season. Personally I think that should be rewarded. For example....Barca have a goal difference of 41 as opposed to Real's 24 and they have scored 10 more goals. Now to me that deserves to tip the scales for a league season more than a head to head.

You may or may not know, but in La Liga the League winners - if tied on points - is judged on head to head, before it going to goal difference.

Would you like this to happen in the SPL? I have done a little bit of research from our most recent 2 title wins, and it wouldn't have went against us actually. Here it goes:

The Season of 2002/2003 where we won the league on the last against Dunfermline, if that had been done on head to head before GD then we would have won 5-3.

The Season of Helicopter Sunday, it would have been a draw of 7-7.

My view is, it would be better to have it as head to head, giving even more importance (if there is can be such a thing) to Old Firm games and it ultimately the winning decision being more fairer?

Points against Goal Difference is that a team may have a n excellent defensive record but not so, an attack and vice versA?

What do you think?

Is it not points taken from the other team, rather than goals for and against, eg, in the season we won against Dunfermline, Sellik won two games and we won 1, they would have won the league.

I'm confused by La Liga...why are Real above Barca on head to head? They won 2-1 in Barcelona but they lost the return 3-0...or have I got that wrong?

One point. Don't forget that goal difference reflects a team's attacking/scoring prowess throughout a season. Personally I think that should be rewarded. For example....Barca have a goal difference of 41 as opposed to Real's 24 and they have scored 10 more goals. Now to me that deserves to tip the scales for a league season more than a head to head.

Graeme Hunter said on Talk sport Real had beaten Barca twice this season so would win La Liga

Real won 2-0 at the Bernabeu and drew 3-3 at the Nou Camp.