A life too short The tragedy of Robert Enke

Did I say my internet persona was significantly different from my real life persona. If I did I apologise I didnt mean to say such a thing and cant remember saying it. My very first comment on this topic was based on my opinion due to circumstances that no one on here either knows or should know. You and a few others decided to jump on this opinion unknowing of any facts or reasoning for such an outlook on it.

Personally I dont care what anyone on here thinks about me. That should be more than clear. If I wanted to be liked I would jump on all the wee bandwagons (not saying you have). If people don't like my opinions or want to click the like button every time someone says anything negative toward me thats fine. It's irrelevant.

Nobody is saying you have to care. It's a discussion board. You said something, people disagreed with it and responded in turn. Deal with it.

For the record though, it honestly doesn't matter what you've been through, you're still in no position to judge anyone for killing themselves without knowing what they've been through, any more than we're in any position to judge you, as you so readily point out. It's pretty simple.

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm very interested to know, Derek, why people should sacrifice their happiness so as not to cause pain to you, but you won't do the same for them.

Im interested to know why it is you feel I shouldn't be in a position to judge others, yet you should be allowed to judge me.

Im interested to know why it is you feel I shouldn't be in a position to judge others, yet you should be allowed to judge me.

You should be allowed to do, say and feel whatever you want, but you will be judged accordingly.

The difference is that I'm judging you for your stated opinions (and I don't much care what led you to them, your own experiences should have no unwanted influence on anybody else), whereas you are judging others from a position of no information at all. I'm sure you have very good reasons for holding the distasteful views towards people who commit suicide, but the views themselves are still distasteful. And I can infer what sort of person you are from the fact that you think your own experiences give you the right to project them onto others.

You should be allowed to do, say and feel whatever you want, but you will be judged accordingly.

The difference is that I'm judging you for your stated opinions (and I don't much care what led you to them, your own experiences should have no unwanted influence on anybody else), whereas you are judging others from a position of no information at all. I'm sure you have very good reasons for holding the distasteful views towards people who commit suicide, but the views themselves are still distasteful. And I can infer what sort of person you are from the fact that you think your own experiences give you the right to project them onto others.

You finding it distasteful is your opinion. Its not the universal opinion. Others even within this thread would seem to disagree with it. Why shouldn't I form opinions on subjects that reflect episodes in my life? Who doesn't?

You finding it distasteful is your opinion. Its not the universal opinion. Others even within this thread would seem to disagree with it. Why shouldn't I form opinions on subjects that reflect episodes in my life? Who doesn't?

You seem to be very confused, Derek. You yourself said "this is controversial". Why are you finding it so hard to understand when people respond? Nobody is saying you're not entitled to think people who commit suicide are cowards, but others are equally entitled to think you're probably not a very nice person. The things you have been through that have shaped your views may just have shaped your views into ugly, cold, heartless ones. Just as the things the suicidal person has been through might well have made them a pretty shitty person too. But you don't know that they are cowards. You do not know that. Some might be, sure, but suicide itself isn't inherently cowardly. You couldn't possibly know that, even if you yourself had been a suicidal person.

You seem to be very confused, Derek. You yourself said "this is controversial". Why are you finding it so hard to understand when people respond? Nobody is saying you're not entitled to think people who commit suicide are cowards, but others are equally entitled to think you're probably not a very nice person. The things you have been through that have shaped your views may just have shaped your views into ugly, cold, heartless ones. Just as the things the suicidal person has been through might well have made them a pretty shitty person too. But you don't know that they are cowards. You do not know that. Some might be, sure, but suicide itself isn't inherently cowardly. You couldn't possibly know that, even if you yourself had been a suicidal person.

ok fair point. Let me rephrase. In my personal opinion people who commit suicide are taking the cowards way out. They may not be a coward but I feel its cowardly.

I wonder if any of these guys having a go at you have ever been in a situation where suicide has effecting them. I ask you something, if your maw, da, sister, brother, wean took the cowards way out left you without them for the rest of your life, I wonder how you'd feel. I'd be raging that someone could be so fucking selfish and cause their family and friends so much hurt and pain. What about the person that finds them? Cowards the lot of them.

I wonder if any of these guys having a go at you have ever been in a situation where suicide has effecting them. I ask you something, if your maw, da, sister, brother, wean took the cowards way out left you without them for the rest of your life, I wonder how you'd feel. I'd be raging that someone could be so fucking selfish and cause their family and friends so much hurt and pain. What about the person that finds them? Cowards the lot of them.

This is how I see it too. So do others.

And guilt-tripping a mentally-ill person into enduring unimaginable pain forever just so you don't have to deal with any yourself is a terribly noble thing to do, I suppose.

And guilt-tripping a mentally-ill person into enduring unimaginable pain forever just so you don't have to deal with any yourself is a terribly noble thing to do, I suppose.

Are you for real? Is that a serious reply? Read that back to yourself.

Are you for real? Is that a serious reply? Read that back to yourself.

It's deadly serious. A person on the verge of suicide is caught between two options, and if you seriously believe death is an easy option, you're an idiot. Both options are unimaginably difficult. One is always more difficult than the other. For some, probably most people, when the going gets tough, living is still the more bearable option. For the acutely, fatally depressed person, living is the more unendurable option. Ideas like bravery and cowardice and leaving loved ones behind are all going to be overridden by a brain that just isn't fucking functioning the way the brain of person who can rationally consider bravery and cowardice and love and family is functioning.

Nobody judges a person whenever any other organ stops functioning the way it is supposed to. Nobody would condemn a person for cowardice in not drawing a breath any more when his lungs pack in. I don't understand why you would condemn a person when the part of their body that governs their entire understanding of things like pleasure, pain, bravery, loyalty, love and cowardice stops doing the things it needs to do to permit them to endure the difficulties they face in life. So you're stronger than they are. Congratulations. You have the advantage of not being a complete psychological wreck.

I can see what you are trying to do here!

To an extent I do. Coming from a family that has had many problems of this sort and some very nasty I have an issue with it and do feel that someone who doesn't get help but continues even when they can see what they are doing to others is a bit of a coward.

You are a fucking fool.

But let your post about passing judgement be the final word on this subject, even if you didn't mean to destroy your own argument when you posted it. Hoisted by your own petard.

I am immediately drawn to anyone who uses this phrase, you can now rest next to my poster of Larry David.