Is Wenger a gold plated dud?

Thermopylae

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a myth that he hardly spends any money. Gervinho, Chamakh, Santos, Park, Squilaci, Denilson and Arshavin are/were all on 50k+ a week apparentely. 350k a week minimum for squad players.

No chance are Squilaci, Denilson and Park on £50k a week :lol:

He is stubborn and stuck in ways but he did help change the Premiership.

It reminds me of Brian Clough at Forest. Went from European Cup champs two years in a row to relegation many years later! Not as extreme as that though!

Appears to be a lack of innovation. That's where the original success came from and it is the only way to compete on a smaller budget than City and Chelsea. I'm not even sure what Wenger would achieve if he spent £70 million. Does he spend it on a couple of key positions or does he break up the team, sell some of the existing team and go for 5 or 6 new players!?

Begovic, Jagielka, Shawcross(obviously wont happen), Lescott, Diame.... The list goes on.

(tu)

Guys like Cabaye, Williams, Julio Cesar, James McCarthy & Benteke too.

Even the number of guys who have moved from within that league in the past year or so who could have improved them in weak areas is incredible: Parker, Lloris, Dembele, De Jong, Demba Ba & Gary Cahill for example.

(tu)

Guys like Cabaye, Williams, Julio Cesar, James McCarthy & Benteke too.

Even the number of guys who have moved from within that league in the past year or so who could have improved them in weak areas is incredible: Parker, Lloris, Dembele, De Jong, Demba Ba & Gary Cahill for example.

I'd add Berbatov to that list as well.

I thought Arsenal were a little bit unlucky today.

Spurs got a bit of luck with the second goal with the ref ignoring a foul, and over the piece today, I actually thought, bar a 2-3 minute spell where the defence switched off and Spurs got the 2 goals, Arsenal did pretty well, and deserved at least a point.

Arsenal do need a quality striker though.

There was an article on TV the other day, it may even of been the director of football discussion on Sky, stating that one of the reasons Arsenal are struggling is the other teams have copied their scouting network, thus more competition for them to sign the players.

Yet the don't even seem to bother competing for certain players.

Arsenal need a lot of players, but Wenger seems to miss or simply overlook every player who is right under his nose and already playing in The Premiership.

I think its stubbornness more than anything.

He's an intelligent guy so I don't think he 'misses' them but is so intent on proving people wrong by persisting with 'projects' (flops) like Gervinho.

Think he has began to let his loyalty to players he's signed and his 'vision' get in the way of business compared to the more ruthless approach of SAF.

Badger is right in saying that the competitive advantage Arsenal had in their scouting network has gone; other teams have caught up.

The most telling thing is Wenger's insistence on 'concentrating on our own game'. All top teams change their tactics depending on opponents and this is something Wenger has never, and probably will never do. The only exception is Barca and even they look like they are beginning to struggle.

Don't get me wrong, I still think he is a good manager in a lot of ways but his reluctance to change is really beginning to dent Arsenal. The only mystery is how much of it is driven by limitations set by the board and how much of it is driven by Wenger.