Cosgrove on Sportsound - Green should have a listen

So because one or two twats from the BBC make their ill feelings towards Rangers known, we should cancel our TV licence?

There is no package on Cable or Sky that comes without the need for a TV licence, so in theory you are telling people to stop watching tv and go back to the wireless days - oh wait, you need a licence for that too! We can just sit and read the newspapers then, except for any that have Spiers or Cosgrove writing for them, then there is Chic Young, Charlie Nicholas etc.

You seem to think that every Bear will be happy to cut their nose of to spite their face and I am afraid most Bears are not that bloody stupid. You only have to look at the thread regarding Rangers using Bob Marley music to interpret a situation at Rangers - most Vears could not give a shit about the fact Marley is a supposed Tim.

My wife watches Eastenders and River City. I am not going to start to hold a conversation with her when these are being aired and she has nothing to do because I cancelled the licence.

Rangers are my club, and my life would be a disaster without them but I have loved ones in my life also. To that degree, I will not allow Rangers to rule my life or affect my wife and child. I will simply opt out of reading pish from journo's that have ill feeling towards my club and continue to sign petitions to that effect.

Not sure if you are serious.......

You do realise that even without a TV license you would still recieve BBC programing, as long as you have a TV to view it.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure if you are serious.......

You do realise that even without a TV license you would still recieve BBC programing, as long as you have a TV to view it.

Yes I do but that would be against the law. Anyone who watches or listens to a BBC channel in real time needs a licence and doing so without, is breaking the law and carries a possible £1000 fine.

Yes you can bleat on about not paying and not allowing people into your home. If you can live with that out of some fight against a radio programme or journalist, then sobeit.

Yes I do but that would be against the law. Anyone who watches or listens to a BBC channel in real time needs a licence and doing so without, is breaking the law and carries a possible £1000 fine.

Yes you can bleat on about not paying and not allowing people into your home. If you can live with that out of some fight against a radio programme or journalist, then sobeit.

TV License is not required for radio programmes mate

There is no law.

Just listened to the podcast, a lively debate.

The insinuation that CG was responsible for a potential scuppering had no evidence. The only inference from Cosgrove was Longmuir's proposal for OF colt teams. That was it, nothing else. I think that wold last two seconds in a court of law.

Spiers and Cosgrove did have a spat over plan B or SPL2. Spiers saw no reason for Rangers not to be invited into that 2nd tier league but Cosgrove nearly burst a blood vessel over this. If SPL was invitation only, there is no reason why Rangers could not be invited but Cosgrove was determined that Rangers should not be eligble on the assumption that Queen of the South and othersd were somehow more "worthy" of an invitation.

There is no law.

Who told you that?

The requirement to hold a TV Licence and to pay a fee for it is mandated by law under the Communications Act 2003 (opens in new window) (“the Act”) and the Communications (Television Licensing) Regulations 2004 (opens in new window) (as amended) (“the Regulations”). Under the Act, the BBC as the responsible public authority has the power to determine the terms and conditions of a TV Licence including the duration of a TV Licence. As the TV Licence fee is an annual sum, successive licensing authorities have followed the principle that a Licence should run for 12 months.

So because one or two twats from the BBC make their ill feelings towards Rangers known, we should cancel our TV licence?

There is no package on Cable or Sky that comes without the need for a TV licence, so in theory you are telling people to stop watching tv and go back to the wireless days - oh wait, you need a licence for that too! We can just sit and read the newspapers then, except for any that have Spiers or Cosgrove writing for them, then there is Chic Young, Charlie Nicholas etc.

You seem to think that every Bear will be happy to cut their nose of to spite their face and I am afraid most Bears are not that bloody stupid. You only have to look at the thread regarding Rangers using Bob Marley music to interpret a situation at Rangers - most Vears could not give a shit about the fact Marley is a supposed Tim.

My wife watches Eastenders and River City. I am not going to start to hold a conversation with her when these are being aired and she has nothing to do because I cancelled the licence.

Rangers are my club, and my life would be a disaster without them but I have loved ones in my life also. To that degree, I will not allow Rangers to rule my life or affect my wife and child. I will simply opt out of reading pish from journo's that have ill feeling towards my club and continue to sign petitions to that effect.

Steve you do realise the TV still works even when you dont have a licence? Im watching it right now and have not had a licence for over 3 years, they come round every few months but as i can see its them before i go to the door i just ignore them and they go away, they also send letters out which go straight in the recycling bin, they cant touch me and they fucking know it!

I don't listen to BBC Scotland sports programmes (or BBC anywhere for that matter) nor do I watch their TV coverage of football. They are not, in my view, to be trusted or respected. They lost that right in my book when they started out on this anti-Rangers agenda. So I can only go by the comments in the threads. Seems to me that BBC Scotland sports programmes are still being allowed to land free hits on Rangers at their leisure and as often as they see fit. They appear to be out of control from a BBC senior management point of view, or if that is not the case then the absence of these presenters being pulled in the obvious and safe conclusion to draw is that they have the full support of BBC senior management. That being the case it would indicate that this has been and remains a deliberate attack on Rangers authorised at the highest levels in the BBC.

I would like to think the Rangers Board and the Communications Director are countering these apparently rabid BBC broadcasts behind the scenes. Assuming that is the case, it seems to me that a much more public stance should be taken against the BBC. Perhaps by going on the front foot and having a go in public and in the media about the statements and actions of BBC and media employees who are openly and aggressively peddling an anti-Rangers statements. A period of open media warfare with the BBC may be needed to bring this continuous poison coming out of the BBC to a halt. There is no need whatsoever for Rangers to sit back and absorb the sort of rubbish that seems to be permitted to be broadcast by BBC Scotland.

Who told you that?

Mandated by an ACT. Acts and statutes are not laws, they are only given the force of law by the consent of the governed. In fact, when you dont pay the license they dont send the police around do they? No, they send one of their agents, who work for a private company that is for profit and therefore has no authority over you that you do not consent to.

This is not a matter of opinion.

You may want to have a read of the magna carta mate, sounds like you need it.

Yes, legally the licence is just for live TV but 20% of that income goes to BBC radio.

It's all about perception, I suppose.

Yeah that's right but if you listen to BBC Radio and watched BBC iPlayer you wouldn't require a license at all and therefore could watch / listen to the programming (if you really felt the need to) without funding it.

EDIT: However, the TV License would still be "required" if you are watching any other channels as they are broadcast.

Steve you do realise the TV still works even when you dont have a licence? Im watching it right now and have not had a licence for over 3 years, they come round every few months but as i can see its them before i go to the door i just ignore them and they go away, they also send letters out which go straight in the recycling bin, they cant touch me and they fucking know it!

Well that is for you to live with. I am quite happy with content on BBC channels and paying £180 a year to watch legally is not something I will stop because some arse makes a crap statement about the football club I love. If I did that with every company that has an employee like that, I would have no fecking life!

Mandated by an ACT. Acts and statutes are not laws, they are only given the force of law by the consent of the governed. In fact, when you dont pay the license they dont send the police around do they? No, they send one of their agents, who work for a private company that is for profit and therefore has no authority over you that you do not consent to.

This is not a matter of opinion.

You may want to have a read of the magna carta mate, sounds like you need it.

Mandated by law under an act. Are you deliberately not computing that word in bold? Yes it is an act but it is to be enforced by law.

Well that is for you to live with. I am quite happy with content on BBC channels and paying £180 a year to watch legally is not something I will stop because some arse makes a crap statement about the football club I love. If I did that with every company that has an employee like that, I would have no fecking life!

There is no legality involved. Why is it so hard for you to understand that a for profit company has no authority over you?

Actualy i didnt stop it because of their anti-Rangers agenda, i didnt even know about that at the time, i just dont see why i should pay to watch the utter crap that passes for the beeb these days, and after i realised how anti-Rangers, anti-British they are it just vindicated my decision and im happy to live with it.

Mandated by law under an act. Are you deliberately not computing that word in bold? Yes it is an act but it is to be enforced by law.

Seriously mate?

You're lost. Its only comes under force of law if you consent. That is how acts and statutes work. They dont send the police around to your door when you dont pay do they? No, they send a private employee, because the police have no authority over these matters, which are civil matters.

Again, not an opinion, a fact.

Fuck me gently.

Guest Andypendek

We're looking at this from the wrong side of the mirror. They are reduced to making fools of themselves now that all their grand claims of cheating, lying and dying have come to nothing.

Their package celebrating our league win was a beauty. Made up exclusively of negative highlights, including a Cup defeat at Dundee Utd - not sure what that had to do with winning D3 - it just showed up their lack of class, professionalism, and ability.

Now that we are no danger of dying, or losing titles, or being hit with £100m tax bills, I am starting to find BBC Scotland's adolescent fury that we still exist a source of pleasure.

Yeah that's right but if you listen to BBC Radio and watched BBC iPlayer you wouldn't require a license at all and therefore could watch / listen to the programming (if you really felt the need to) without funding it.

EDIT: However, the TV License would still be "required" if you are watching any other channels as they are broadcast.

"Sorry love, you are not watching Eastenders tonight. You will have to start watching on catch up TV, after your friends have told you what has happened. Oh, and when our 2 year old grand daughter comes around, CBeebies cannot go on, because some men at the BBC said bad things about Rangers."

Can you seriously not see how sad that above statement sounds?

There is no legality involved. Why is it so hard for you to understand that a for profit company has no authority over you?

I am totally against the license fee mate. I hate the people are forced to fund a disgraceful organisation in order to watch other TV stations.

However, I think if you took the acts away, there would be no laws. It becomes law as final part of the process. If a representative of a private body comes round to your door, you are correct, they have no authority. However, that doesn't mean it is not a law. It just means they are not using the police to enforce it.

Seriously mate?

You're lost. Its only comes under force of law if you consent. That is how acts and statutes work. They dont send the police around to your door when you dont pay do they? No, they send a private employee, because the police have no authority over these matters, which are civil matters.

Again, not an opinion, a fact.

Fuck me gently.

I don't know who turns up because I pay for a service I use.

"Sorry love, you are not watching Eastenders tonight. You will have to start watching on catch up TV, after your friends have told you what has happened. Oh, and when our 2 year old grand daughter comes around, CBeebies cannot go on, because some men at the BBC said bad things about Rangers."

Can you seriously not see how sad that above statement sounds?

I can see your point but am only trying to let people know there is an alternative way to not funding the BBC. Am not saying it will apply to everyone but it applies to me. I don't need a tv license. The only programming I would watch when broadcast live is live football. I just go elsewhere to watch it.