DJ : Charles must stand by his man

djbroxybear

I DON'T think that the relationship at Ibrox between Ally McCoist and chief executive Charles Green is great at the minute.

DJ says he can understand why Green apparently blocked a move by McCoist to re-sign Kenny Miller

But I do not believe that it has reached a situation where it is a case of either one being so fed up that they would consider quitting.

They are still able to get into a room face-to-face and thrash out the way they want the club to go forward.

They are both very strong-minded individuals and are also very strong-willed. But for the sake of the club, they need to pull in the one direction. And, for me, this is the time when Charles has to come out and really back the manager.

If reports are correct, then Ally wanted to bring Kenny Miller back to Ibrox this summer, but Charles has disagreed as there would be no sell-on value from the Scotland internationalist.

I can see his point on that one. I appreciate where he is coming from and why he would think along those lines.

But this is the time for him to trust the manager. Ally does not have two or three years to build a team for the future. We all know the amount of stick he got this season when the team were not firing on all cylinders.

If he doesn't get it right this season he could well be out of a job – and he is well aware of that.

So he knows that it is vital he brings in players that he can trust to hit the ground running and who can be in amongst it right away.

Kenny knows the score at Rangers. He knows the fans, he knows the expectation levels and he knows also that the club are not in the position to offer him the kind of salary that he would have been on prior to his departure a few years back.

But if Ally believes that Kenny can come back to Ibrox and allow Rangers to progress, then Charles should trust him.

Charles himself has been quoted as saying that this is the worst Rangers team ever, so he is well aware that there is a fair number of players that need to be added to the squad.

I suspect that Ally will be looking for at least 10 to come in, and the vast majority of them will tick the boxes that the chief exec is looking for.

The players will be hungry and young and able to be moved on if that is mutually beneficial to the club and the player.

The likes of Nicky Law and Tom Hateley have been linked with moves this year and these are lads who have time on their side.

But if Ally wants one or two older heads that know what it is all about, then I don't think people would quibble too much with that.

There needs to be balance because when you play at Rangers – regardless of what division – there is always pressure that goes with it.

The kids this season have done very well in coping with that but it is unfair to throw them all in at the deep end.

The best way for them to develop is to have senior professionals round about them who lead by example – much in the way that Lee McCulloch has done this season.

Charles cannot send Ally out into the new campaign without allowing him to pick his own players. He may be an astute businessman but the football pitch is the manager's domain.

http://www.eveningti...21740n.20842783

I don't want to see Kenny Miller back at Ibrox.

I personally have always been a big fan of Kenny Miller as a player and would happily have seen him stay at our club insted of being sold, but that's professional football for you.

Currently I think it would be a backward step bringing him back to Ibrox,but if Ally wants him then Ally should be allowed to get him if a decent wage structure can be agreed upon.

I personally have always been a big fan of Kenny Miller as a player and would happily have seen him stay at our club insted of being sold, but that's professional football for you.

Currently I think it would be a backward step bringing him back to Ibrox,but if Ally wants him then Ally should be allowed to get him if a decent wage structure can be agreed upon.

agree there oz, always liked him for his pace and work rate, but in my book, that ship has sailed. Our focus should be on providing the opportunity for our current crop of strikers to make the step up, or look to bring in a young, hungry player that can get us goals and we can potentially financially benefit from in the future.

Remember Kenny sitting out a few games because of bone splinters, could be wrong, but I don't see the Football in the 2nd division being a lot more elegent than the 3rd. I just want Ally to put together a team that can win the 2nd with a bit of style, people are looking at QoS's record and thinking we need to match or better it, to do that we need to hit the ground running but we need to have some consistancy in our squad. Kenny might be a bit part player. No excuses.

Even at the papes? :matron:

agree there oz, always liked him for his pace and work rate, but in my book, that ship has sailed. Our focus should be on providing the opportunity for our current crop of strikers to make the step up, or look to bring in a young, hungry player that can get us goals and we can potentially financially benefit from in the future.

I remember seeing Kenny Miller score his first goals for Rangers way back in 2000 when he scored at Rugby Park and I thought we should have kept him, but I don't think bringing him back now would be a good move for Rangers.

Then again,I am 100% committed to the idea that the manager has the say on who comes in to play for him, providing that said player fits in to the wage structure of the club and that the manager works inside his budget.

I would never have managed a club that didn't give me 100% control over signings.