Ps4 or xbox one

bigmunsen

I'm only using Steam at the moment since my PS3 kicked the bucket but I doubt I'll be getting this 'Steam Box' or whatever they call it. For a start I don't have $1000 to spend on a console so I'd need to wait to get it pre-owned on Ebay. Secondly, I don't think it will be that much better than the PS4 and Xbox One. It will have better graphics but I reckon we are now at a level where the graphics are good enough that maybe, just maybe, the emphasis could go back to gameplay and replay value? Thats whats important to me, which is why I often revert to Snes and Mega Drive emulators and roll out a few classics. :)

Maybe the Steam Box (are they even calling it that or is that something termed by the Youtube community?) will be a game changer but it would need to offer a different style of gameplay and it wont happen.

I doubt it will be 1000 dollars, valve have said they are aiming to compete with the consoles. It will probably be a similar price if not slightly more. Also the library of games that will be available will eclipse anything sony and microsoft could put together. We are talking nearly every good PC game that has been out for years and years. Plus if you like emulation then great, you now have a console attached to your TV that you can install an emulator on and play every megadrive, snes and ps1 game ever made.

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I doubt it will be 1000 dollars, valve have said they are aiming to compete with the consoles. It will probably be a similar price if not slightly more. Also the library of games that will be available will eclipse anything sony and microsoft could put together. We are talking nearly every good PC game that has been out for years and years. Plus if you like emulation then great, you now have a console attached to your TV that you can install an emulator on and play every megadrive, snes and ps1 game ever made.

I read $1000 somewhere but admittedly I'm unsure. If its a similar price I'll buy it and maybe ditch my plans to buy the PS4 for a while. With Valve emerging, I don't think there's enough space for Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo and Valve in console format. One will have to go if you ask me and my money would be on Microsoft.

I can't even remember many good PS1 games, lol. The original GTA, Destruction Derby, Resident Evil, Broken Sword, Gran Turismo... thats about it. :)

Was playing Goldeneye on the N64 emulator earlier on today. The first level in that game is awesome!

Still undecided just can't make my mind up all my mates are going for the ps4 but I've always been xbox just prefer the controller and online system much more advanced than the psn IMO it's a tough one :/

Xbox One for launch, PS4 whenever the latest Naughty Dog game comes out.

Still undecided just can't make my mind up all my mates are going for the ps4 but I've always been xbox just prefer the controller and online system much more advanced than the psn IMO it's a tough one :/

Party chat is about the only thing Xbox live has over PSN. Afew years ago yeah, but PSN is a lot better thesedays! Not to mention PS+ destroys Xbox Gold.

Even then I wouldn't be using the 360 and PS3's online services as a basis for what console to get.. it will be completely different on the next gen.

Party chat is about the only thing Xbox live has over PSN. Afew years ago yeah, but PSN is a lot better thesedays! Not to mention PS+ destroys Xbox Gold.

Even then I wouldn't be using the 360 and PS3's online services as a basis for what console to get.. it will be completely different on the next gen.

Xbox Live we know will be on Azure, I dont think Sony are putting the same amount of money and effort into the online service again, If you own both consoles just now you'l know Xbox Live feels like a fleshed out system that works brilliantly the way it's all intergrated while PSN comes across as an after thought.

Hopefully Sony can pull it out the bag but i think they would of been shouting from the rooftops if they had something as good as Live on the go.

They really aren't helping themselves are they

Agreed.

I don't think Valve are doing themselves any favours either by announcing there will be 6 different Steam Machines and saying its made purely from "off the shelf PC parts". So basically its a PC then? lol. It's not going to sell I reckon.

Sony have got this in the bag. Nintendo, Microsoft and Valve are making it too easy for them.

At this rate, Coleco, Sega, Commadore etc will be considering a comeback, lol. (Colecovision was an awful console released by the Connecticut Leather Company who thought "Hey, we could probably make a competitive console!") :)

Completely agree about the controller however you can buy XBOX 360 shaped controllers for current gen PS3. I don't see why a third party wouldn't do the same with next gen.

Agreed.

I don't think Valve are doing themselves any favours either by announcing there will be 6 different Steam Machines and saying its made purely from "off the shelf PC parts". So basically its a PC then? lol. It's not going to sell I reckon.

What did you think it was going to be? It was always a micro PC that's designed to sit under your TV. It runs a custom developed operating system based on linux to allow full Steam integration.

Also, to be fair the PS4 and XO are just gimped PC's.

What did you think it was going to be? It was always a micro PC that's designed to sit under your TV. It runs a custom developed operating system based on linux to allow full Steam integration.

Also, to be fair the PS4 and XO are just gimped PC's.

Hilarious that he slags the Valve box for being off the shelf PC parts yet thats exactly what the PS4 basically is!

Completely agree about the controller however you can buy XBOX 360 shaped controllers for current gen PS3. I don't see why a third party wouldn't do the same with next gen.

Yep, and the Playstation network will be on par with Xbox Live on the PS4.

What did you think it was going to be?

A waste of money for a PC gamer?...... (not that I dislike Valve, I have a steam account myself as strategy games are woeful on consoles. It's just that I'd rather purchase some custom parts for my PC than buy a Steam Box. Its not going to sell, especially as there's so many different Steam Boxes to choose from. The thing was confusing enough without them making 6 different versions, lol. Computer savvy people will understand the differences but lets be honest, most people out there are just casual gamers)

More embarrassment for Microsoft, this time at a games expo in Australia. Both Sony and Microsoft had their consoles upstairs with no wheelchair access and this was each of their response to the four friends in wheelchairs who were unable to test any games....

Sony - "First of all, I'd like to say that Sony deeply apologises as we have made a massive oversight in regards to supporting our disabled player base and we have placed all the PlayStation 4's upstairs and with no way to get you up there. Again we are extremely sorry, it really should never have happened but because it is totally our fault and we always support our disabled player base, we would like to offer something in return along with our sincerest apology. Please could you leave you name and contact details with us and we will give you a PlayStation 4 on release day."

Microsoft - "Sorry, it's upstairs, you can't try it"

Fighting the good fight on a Rangers forum is pointless...

I'm not a fanboy for Sony.... I simply have a bit of an issue with Microsoft, lol. Pro-Sony by default I guess. :)

My fanboyism died when Sega said they weren't going to release any more consoles... (still bought the NES and the SNES, mind you)

Plus, I've owned an Xbox as well as the 360. Meh, I wasn't a fan of the awkward control pad but the 360 was definitely better than the PS3.

Anyhoo, how long are we going to keep up the charade of your criticisms being based on computers when we both know this is about my username?... :)

Run along now.

I'm not a fanboy for Sony.... I simply have a bit of an issue with Microsoft, lol. Pro-Sony by default I guess. :)

My fanboyism died when Sega said they weren't going to release any more consoles... (still bought the NES and the SNES, mind you)

Plus, I've owned an Xbox as well as the 360. Meh, I wasn't a fan of the awkward control pad but the 360 was definitely better than the PS3.

Anyhoo, how long are we going to keep up the charade of your criticisms being based on computers when we both know this is about my username?... :)

Run along now.

Nothing to do with your odd username, i read to many shitty fanboy Xbox vs PS threads elsewhere without coming on here to read the same shit. If you have an issue with MS then i cant see what it will achieve posting your anti MS posts on a Rangers forum lol

Lets try and be sensible without all the flamebait we get elsewhere. Keep that shit for PSU & Neogaf etc

More embarrassment for Microsoft, this time at a games expo in Australia. Both Sony and Microsoft had their consoles upstairs with no wheelchair access and this was each of their response to the four friends in wheelchairs who were unable to test any games....

Sony - "First of all, I'd like to say that Sony deeply apologises as we have made a massive oversight in regards to supporting our disabled player base and we have placed all the PlayStation 4's upstairs and with no way to get you up there. Again we are extremely sorry, it really should never have happened but because it is totally our fault and we always support our disabled player base, we would like to offer something in return along with our sincerest apology. Please could you leave you name and contact details with us and we will give you a PlayStation 4 on release day."

Microsoft - "Sorry, it's upstairs, you can't try it"

And that's just not made up :lol:

Nothing to do with your odd username, i read to many shitty fanboy Xbox vs PS threads elsewhere without coming on here to read the same shit. If you have an issue with MS then i cant see what it will achieve posting your anti MS posts on a Rangers forum lol

Lets try and be sensible without all the flamebait we get elsewhere. Keep that shit for PSU & Neogaf etc

I'll post whatever I want. And if you don't like it, move on to the next post. :)

You can't moan, you do the same with PES! :lol:

Bullshit, This is my first PES in 6 years...Fifa for the last 5 years for me...I have no fanboy company loyalty that is for 15 year olds that dont know any better... If Fifa is the better game next year i'l switch back....Infact i'l have the nxt-gen version later this year since it's free ;)

Anyway on topic...Cannot wait for both consoles...both 360 & PS3 have waaaaaaaay overstayed their welcome.

Bullshit, This is my first PES in 6 years...Fifa for the last 5 years for me...I have no fanboy company loyalty that is for 15 year olds that dont know any better... If Fifa is the better game next year i'l switch back....Infact i'l have the nxt-gen version later this year since it's free ;)

Anyway on topic...Cannot wait for both consoles...both 360 & PS3 have waaaaaaaay overstayed their welcome.

Aye, nae bother Seabass. ;).

Opted for the One then? I've gone PS4 at launch but will probably pick a One up when the price drops in a year or so.

Aye, nae bother Seabass. ;).

Opted for the One then? I've gone PS4 at launch but will probably pick a One up when the price drops in a year or so.

Getting both at launch! Dont know why im playing games less n less these days...If Xbox One didnt have Forza, Live and now the amazing pad they've created i'd of just went PS4 i reckon.

Ps You mean Kei Mesuda ;)