RST - Latest Press Releases

Ace

Regional Ambassadors for RST

Due to demand across the RST membership, the RST board are now happy to announce we are looking for members across the Globe to represent the Trust on the various, topical matters concerning the Club and RST.

Are you a good communicator who can spare some time to talk with fans in your area and feedback what fans across the greater fan base are thinking? Do you have certain skills like Marketing, finance, law, experience in board governance, education, and have a passion for fan involvement in Rangers FC?

We are looking for reps in North America, Australia, Northern Ireland, North of Scotland and north and south of England, and the Far East.

Email info@therst.co.uk and register your interest.

Regional Role Guidelines:

1. To act in the best interests of the RST and its members

2. Regional representatives must comply with the RST ‘constitution’.

3. Withhold any press release or strategy until approved by the board for the members

4. Communicate feedback with the board when representing the RST

5. Actively support & promote the RST, ie, you must be a member of the RST.

New Planned Junior RST Membership

During the BuyRangers Initiative for Community Share Ownership toward the end of last year, we had many requests for the opportunity for members to be able to purchase Community Shares on behalf of their sons and daughters, Grandsons and Granddaughters.

We duly listened to this request and created a scheme for members under the age of 16 who were ineligible to buy Community Shares directly due to their age. In order not to cause any disappointment, we created the’ Bear Cub’ scheme where adults can purchase shares for their children and grandchildren by becoming a ‘Share Bear’ in the BuyRangers Community Share initiative. The shares purchased will be held in the adults name until the Bear Cub reaches the age of 16. At such time, the share can be transferred over to the 16 year old dependent in their own name as a full Community Share holder. (More details available from BuyRangers section on the web site).

It is now an idea that as part of our plans, we introduce the ‘Bear Cubs’ scheme and make it available to all junior membership RST members under the age of 16. We would like to involve all junior members and keep them actively engaged by running activities like on line competitions, favourite player vote, receiving Christmas Cards from the RST etc. Junior members or ‘Bear Cubs’ will one day become old enough to progress to the senior membership ranks of The RST and we feel that this idea is very much something that would prove of interest to current members wishing to get their children or grandchildren involved.

Fan Ownership Meeting

Members of the Board of the RST held a full day meeting in the Cooper Suite at Ibrox Stadium on Saturday, May 25th to discuss proposals for a future ‘Fan Ownership Model’. The topic was covered and discussed with many different theories and possible future scenarios arising from our push toward greater fan involvement at Ibrox and at board level within the club itself. Apart from RST Board members, Paul Goodwin from Supporters Direct Scotland was also in attendance and gave us some very useful input as to how other clubs have tackled and indeed are in the process of tackling this very subject. A working ‘Route to Ownership’ framework document is currently being prepared and will hopefully be available in the near future but more will appear on this as and when there is more to report.

In addition to the above, there was an SD Fan Ownership Conference held in Stirling on Saturday June 29th.

Three board members from the RST also attended the full day conference which was held at Stirling Albion’s Forthbank Stadium (now known to all of us following a couple of eventful visits there last season) to discuss once again, the subject of ‘Fan Ownership’ and the routes taken by some other clubs who have achieved this. Trusts attending include Dunfermline, Ayr Utd, Kilmarnock, Dumbarton, Dundee FC, Annan Athletic, Motherwell, Heart of Midlothian and Clyde.

This conference was well attended and there was some extremely good information given by a number of speakers the main ones being from Dundee FC and Clyde FC. There was also a talk given by Paul Goodwin, head of SD Scotland and formerly involved with the fan acquisition of Stirling Albion before administration took place. Although these clubs vary in size and all are smaller than Rangers FC, they have actually gone through the process of becoming ‘Fan Owned’ clubs and have gained a vast amount of knowledge in the process. The experience gained by these supporters groups and trusts can provide us with valuable information for the future.

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't mean to open a can of worms here but 'buying shares for sons and daughters etc' .

That's not what you're buying if you pay into BuyRangers/RST

RST own the shares and you get a shitty fake certificate.

It's all about block voting though, the more shares under one (fans) banner means the more influence fans can have directly on the board.

It's been assessed that when taking account both the RST bought shares & individual fans purchases, the 'fans' have approx. 12% of all shares in Rangers, the biggest block of shares, exceeding CG et al.

Imagine if that collective could be brought to bear in unison.

I notice they are still pedalling the misconception "Join the Rangers Supporters Trust and take part in club democracy" even though the poster RST admitted on here it was exactly that, a misconception

As far as I'm aware, decisions made by RST are voted on by membership before being taken to RFC board.

It's all about block voting though, the more shares under one (fans) banner means the more influence fans can have directly on the board.

It's been assessed that when taking account both the RST bought shares & individual fans purchases, the 'fans' have approx. 12% of all shares in Rangers, the biggest block of shares, exceeding CG et al.

Imagine if that collective could be brought to bear in unison.

It's the fans who are not savvy I'm worried about.

I see what you're saying and I know this is the RST's objective but I have a son who I'd love to pass on shares to and would probably have done it this way if I hadn't read that the individual doesn't own the share and can never attend an AGM either.

I fail to see why fans would clamber to pass on 'kiddon' shares but fear many will buy into this through ignorance.

Getting involved in boardroom politics and taking sides means I will retain my life membership but not involve myself until they have a more democratic outlook.

First things first all fan groups should be represented including VB until they are it is simply not representative and somewhat "jobs for the boys centric"

A start would be the official tweet not being used to slate other rangers fans.

I look on with interest to see if the current board will hold out the olive branch of full fan representation

It's the fans who are not savvy I'm worried about.

I see what you're saying and I know this is the RST's objective but I have a son who I'd love to pass on shares to and would probably have done it this way if I hadn't read that the individual doesn't own the share and can never attend an AGM either.

I fail to see why fans would clamber to pass on 'kiddon' shares but fear many will buy into this through ignorance.

I understand that and actually agree with it too.

The RST allows you to proxy your voting rights to them also, if you owned your own shares that is, best of both worlds maybe?

BuyRangers.org is exactly the same Supporters Direct model used by Dunfermline and Hearts. Their fans appear to be buying into it yet Rangers fans on here appear to focus on the negatives.

Getting involved in boardroom politics and taking sides means I will retain my life membership but not involve myself until they have a more democratic outlook.

First things first all fan groups should be represented including VB until they are it is simply not representative and somewhat "jobs for the boys centric"

A start would be the official tweet not being used to slate other rangers fans.

I look on with interest to see if the current board will hold out the olive branch of full fan representation

The RST, IMO, is open to ALL Rangers fans ... as individuals, being a member of one does not preclude you from being a member of others.

RST appeals to fans as individuals, not to groups and that's how it should stay ... again IMO.

I usually try to steer clear of these threads.............but what a shocking number of statements..........I mean Regional Ambassadors, how many of the worldwide 2000 members are in the North East of Scotland......for an example.

Also this deplorable buy from us for your children and grandchildren...............why? They get nothing in return.

Sorry and if you notice no name calling or bickering going on here........but if they have this new super dooper communication software, why do they have to issue statement, why not email the 2000 members worldwide and beyond and ask if they are interested in this.

Yet another waste of members funds following on from the shameful buy your lottery through the rst as the commission goes to us.

Just say NO.................You know it makes sense.

What's next...........if your moving house let the rst sell it for............expecting an addition to the family, buy all your babied needs from the rst.

doh bloody deer right enough.

I usually try to steer clear of these threads.............but what a shocking number of statements..........I mean Regional Ambassadors, how many of the worldwide 2000 members are in the North East of Scotland......for an example.

Also this deplorable buy from us for your children and grandchildren...............why? They get nothing in return.

Sorry and if you notice no name calling or bickering going on here........but if they have this new super dooper communication software, why do they have to issue statement, why not email the 2000 members worldwide and beyond and ask if they are interested in this.

Yet another waste of members funds following on from the shameful buy your lottery through the rst as the commission goes to us.

What's next...........if your moving house let the rst sell it for............expecting an addition to the family, buy all your babied needs from the rst.

doh bloody deer right enough.

But it's ok ed any profit is used for running costs

But it's ok ed any profit is used for running costs

Well when you have a 16 member board that can rise to 20, think that will happen when they get more member as id would look silly with 20 board members out of a rather generous quote of 2000 world wide.

The RST, IMO, is open to ALL Rangers fans ... as individuals, being a member of one does not preclude you from being a member of others.

RST appeals to fans as individuals, not to groups and that's how it should stay ... again IMO.

You make a valid point , with just a slight tweak required......... rst is set up for the benefit of it's board members.

I understand that and actually agree with it too.

The RST allows you to proxy your voting rights to them also, if you owned your own shares that is, best of both worlds maybe?

Depends what you're looking for really, it will appeal to some folk giving over their vote.

It just irritates me as I can still recall ignorant fans boasting about saving Rangers simply by joining the RST whilst we were in admin and they were retweeted without being corrected that they had in fact done nothing of the sort.

I'm done anyway, glad you agree on my main point, that was my issue.

If I may correct you. It's 2556 Trust members and growing.