Colin Jackson, magnificent club servant

The Widow's Son

I'm not sure if he ever played for Scotland and he was injured for the CWCF in 1972, but Colin Jackson was always a player I respected. He played hard for the blue and lasted a long time at the top. While browsing the web tonight, I came across a clip when he was the in-studio guest at the nadir of our fortunes (Tom English, Archie McPherson and a lawyer were also on the panel) and he comes across as a humble Rangers fan and ex-player. Somehow we have lost that with the current crisis.

Does anyone else remember his goal in the 1970's? He hit the ball almost from halfway (vs. Jags, I think). I was drinking at that point in my life and don't recall too much from that game.

If I ever meet him, I'll tell him how much he's appreciated ............. from miles away and from decades ago.

met the man briefly in the pub once (he was with some of the ECWC team that were in) and he came across as a nice guy. I didn't see him play as wasn't born then but by all accounts a great player

Colin presented me with my first ever football medal in 1975. Still have the local newspaper photo. We won an under 10 football league and shows what a gent he was that he took the time to come along that evening and do the presentation

His hair started going grey at the temples around thirty and he was jokingly called "The Biscuit" from then (grey and done = gray and dunn).

Think it was against Sporting Lisbon, he broke his leg and missed Barcelona, giving an eighteen year old DJ his chance.

He is exactly what our club is about - solid pro, no fuss, smashing guy. We will never lose these values, no matter what nonsense is going on the boardroom.

I'm not sure if he ever played for Scotland and he was injured for the CWCF in 1972, but Colin Jackson was always a player I respected. He played hard for the blue and lasted a long time at the top. While browsing the web tonight, I came across a clip when he was the in-studio guest at the nadir of our fortunes (Tom English, Archie McPherson and a lawyer were also on the panel) and he comes across as a humble Rangers fan and ex-player. Somehow we have lost that with the current crisis.

Does anyone else remember his goal in the 1970's? He hit the ball almost from halfway (vs. Jags, I think). I was drinking at that point in my life and don't recall too much from that game.

If I ever meet him, I'll tell him how much he's appreciated ............. from miles away and from decades ago.

The nicest ex-player alive. I'm very fortunate to know him very well and he's always happy to help with anything!

He played for Scotland 11 times, as the national side was really spoilt for choice back then.

His favourite game for the Rangers was the home leg vs Bayern Munich en route to Barcelona.

On the day of the final, having gone over on his ankle in training when he was due to start, he got drunk in his hotel room as he was absolutely gutted. Big Jock came in and found him around 4pm and threw him in the shower so that the manager wouldn't know he was drunk when it was time to get on the bus! He got away with it, at least on the day!

I keep telling him to do a book to raise money for the Former Players' Benevolent Fund, but he's too humble and claims it would be boring and no one would want to read it!

Another interesting fact is that he skived school on May 18th 1960 to travel to Hampden with his Dad and watch Puskas and Di Stefano destroy the excellent Frankfurt team that put 12 passed the Rangers over 2 legs in the semi-final.

I was watching a few matches on youtube and he scored a great goal at Aberdeen in one of them. I would like to have seen Jock Wallace's team in the 70's, if only they had more matches on DVD from that period. I really like the look of Alex MacDonald. Can anyone say what his position was: was he an attacking midfielder?

The big man was in the shadow of Ronnie Mackinnon until Ronnie left. it took him a year or so after that to settle in.

After that he had many man of the match performances, had a lot of time for him.

Remember him wearing a black glove for a while, can't remember why now. Was he not also a male model for a while?

Lot of sympathy for Ronnie Mac regards the final

I was watching a few matches on youtube and he scored a great goal at Aberdeen in one of them. I would like to have seen Jock Wallace's team in the 70's, if only they had more matches on DVD from that period. I really like the look of Alex MacDonald. Can anyone say what his position was: was he an attacking midfielder?

He was the master of coming in on the blind side. Scored so many important goals in the big games.

He did some male modelling and apparently his fiancee threatened to call off the marriage if he took some assignment ......... which he did. And she did too. Also remember him wearing a very shady white tuxedo at the wedding of a Celtic player and recall him puffing on a cigar after the 1970 League Cup Final. Not a legend but a great club servant ............. and perhaps that's more important.

Met him in Cottiers one time when my wife made me take her to see Curtis Stigers (honest).

Anyway his missus must have done the same and after about 2 shitty songs I found him at the bar where we stayed the rest of the concert chatting away about all things Rangers.

Helluva nice big guy and eventually went on to buy a house in Jordanhill a relative of mine used to own.

Great servant to the club and nice guy as well.

Not that good a hurdler.

My (late) uncle Arthur (the guy who taught me follow follow as a child) knocked him down at the roundabout at Edmiston drive.

Thankfully no serious damage done.

Bet the car was fucked though after hitting big bomber :)