The Measure of Success

WCPRANGERS1

In the final years of Walter Smiths reign most of us were happy to "win ugly" for the majority of the time as we knew that it wasn't a level playing field in terms of finances compared to our Glasgow "neighbours" .

Some football during that time was not great although in patches (title run ins especially)we played some great stuff. I would say during that spell we were delighted with our success and rightly so, winning at the top is what matters most of all and it's what our club does.

We find ourselves again having relative success albeit at a lower level but with a similar mindset through sections of our support, that winning ugly is a suitable level. Now don't get me wrong winning should always be our mantra but should "winning ugly" be how we are going about our business right now?

Personally I have always felt we should have developed a forward thinking football philosophy throughout every level at our club. Instead we journey down a road of paying for a short term fix and playing an often uninspiring style of football.

I will be more than happy for us to continue or rise to the top but it can frustrate in the manner in which we do so.

In the final years of Walter Smiths reign most of us were happy to "win ugly" for the majority of the time as we knew that it wasn't a level playing field in terms of finances compared to our Glasgow "neighbours" .

Some football during that time was not great although in patches (title run ins especially)we played some great stuff. I would say during that spell we were delighted with our success and rightly so, winning at the top is what matters most of all and it's what our club does.

We find ourselves again having relative success albeit at a lower level but with a similar mindset through sections of our support, that winning ugly is a suitable level. Now don't get me wrong winning should always be our mantra but should "winning ugly" be how we are going about our business right now?

Personally I have always felt we should have developed a forward thinking football philosophy throughout every level at our club. Instead we journey down a road of paying for a short term fix and playing an often uninspiring style of football.

I will be more than happy for us to continue or rise to the top but it can frustrate in the manner in which we do so.

Tell me, how many years would you be happy for us to fail to get promoted while we develop this philosophy?

Tell me, how many years would you be happy for us to fail to get promoted while we develop this philosophy?

I think this is our major weakness- the impatience of us as a support.

Personally I would rather we took the time to develop a long term philosophy both on the pitch and as a sustainable business model- even if that meant it took us longer to start competing for the top honours. I do not give a toss if taking that extra time means Celtic win however many meaningless titles in a row whist we get our act together. I want our Club to be in the best of health both philosophically and financially- so our children, grand children and following generations have the opportunity to support a Rangers Football Club worthy of the name and it's tradition.

I am possibly a little hypocritical in saying this as I too get frustrated when I see us perform badly, but this is more these days to do with the nature of our style and the lack of a clearly defined development strategy that can reconcile a defeat. It is with our current approach very difficult to reconcile indifferent performances when you take into account the huge financial resource being showered on our current operation.

hopefully soon the board/investors will reverse their decision to forgo the footballing side for the business side and concentrate on building a football structure and philosophy we can be proud of. Any change in the clubs mentality must come with support from the top. Martinez could take over as manager but without budgets and the ability to change coaches and training regimes, utilising a dedicated scouting network you cant find and train the right type of talent.

It needs to be a change from the top to bottom.

If any Rangers manager did not get Rangers promoted he would be sacked, whether the team plays pretty or not. If a team plays pretty football, yet does not win all, or nearly all of the games, there will be some other fault with the club, like light-weight in attack, or defence. Ally has a job to do, get Rangers back into the top league, which BTW is the Premiership, & not the SPL, the SPL is dead & buried, a task which he must do by winning each league we play in, until we reach the top, anything else is unacceptable, & even Ally himself, a legend at this great club of ours, would find it difficult to hold onto his job if he failed in that regard, not winning the 3 titles.

So playing ugly & winning, is always better than playing pretty & losing.

hopefully soon the board/investors will reverse their decision to forgo the footballing side for the business side and concentrate on building a football structure and philosophy we can be proud of. Any change in the clubs mentality must come with support from the top. Martinez could take over as manager but without budgets and the ability to change coaches and training regimes, utilising a dedicated scouting network you cant find and train the right type of talent.

You really need to get help

We lost our chance to start again with a new footballing philosophy at the beginning of last season.

We might as well face upto the fact that we will be watching piss poor football for years to come.

Anyone remember my rant last season being new on some thought I was shifty because I said don't allow our keeper to kick out must throw before half way triangles of play up to forwards never a punt a tap in would be superb after some new type of football on show.we have missed the boat again with our coaching tactics stuck very much in the past need change. Hope that is not to shifty

Anyone remember my rant last season being new on some thought I was shifty because I said don't allow our keeper to kick out must throw before half way triangles of play up to forwards never a punt a tap in would be superb after some new type of football on show.we have missed the boat again with our coaching tactics stuck very much in the past need change. Hope that is not to shifty

:shifty: