Our 66 Friends

minstral

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The words of ambulanceman Jack Kirkland, one of many who did what they could to save lives at the Ibrox Disaster http://wp.me/pkV3P-5M

The tears are falling freely down my face.

A couple of years before my time but never ever be forgotten.

RIP to all who never came home that terrible tragic day.

This brings back many very sad memories.

My two pals and I were very lucky that day.

When it all happened on stairway 13 my mates wee pushed forward but I was caught just behind the crush.

I crawled under legs back to the top of the stairs and tried to stop more fans going down but everybody was singing, happy we had scored in the last seconds.

The look on the faces of the poor fans who were caught in the crush will live with me for ever.

Rab Mullen and Ian Irvine, if you read this, God Bless

AJ

Govan Blue as I didn't know the late Mr Learmonth I thank you for posting his picture, by putting a face to a name it brings home the human tragedy that happened that day. If they ever decide to create larger memorial I would hope that a picture of each of he victims could be installed next to their names. I'm sure it would make the memorial more personal to any fan who either did not know any of the victims or was born in the years after the disaster I was twelve in 1971 and the memory of hearing the news of what had happened that day has always come to mind anytime I leave Ibrox or any other ground I've visited over the years. You see it's a case of "there but for the grace of god go you and I". Anybody who has attended a big game at Hampden Park will know what I mean as the stairs there were pretty steep and l always worried that a similar incident could happen there.

RIP Robert Learmonth and other 65 victims.

John McGovern from Tranent never came home from Ibrox - he was in the royal engineers.

He was given a funeral with full military honours from the regulars and the territorials and a 10 gun salute at the graveside, his cap, belt and sidearm atop his coffin.

He travelled on the ormiston RSC - he was only home on leave that new year.