Allys "No Youth" Policy

OzGers

Over the past two seasons, playing in the two lowest leagues in the country, we have seen Ally field largely SPL experienced, SPL waged footballers.

Just this past weekend, we saw Ally decide to field an understrength bench rather than bring in some of our academy players.

Why real question is WHY? Why is Ally so clearly against fielding younger players, and why, as supporters, do we allow this?

It is clear for all to see. Rangers are head and shoulders above all other teams throughout League 2 and League 1. Yet, instead of introducing some youngsters in the mix to give them invaluable experience at this level, Ally persists with the same players who are, by in large, taking hoe overinflated pay packets.

Since we were forced into this financial mess, it has been clear to all that we must work our way up, in every sense. Meaning, we had a unique opportunity to bring through some of our younger talent, mixed with some experienced players, to provide them with experience and the impoteous to make the step into top level football. In doing so, these players may indeed form part of our footballing team going through the leagues and eventually prove their worth when we get back to the top.

I look around the teams we come up against, through all the divisions, including SPL, and outwith Celtic, it is fair to say that all clubs lean towards their youth network, mostly out of necessity.

Well is it not fair to say that our situation should dictate the necessity for blooding youngsters? Yes, granted, we can still afford some good players, but do we need an entire squad of SPL experience? The short answer is no.

By all accounts, there are some very talented youngsters at our club that just do not seem to be given the chance by Ally. Yes, last year we used McLeod, Crawford, Aird, McKay and Perry, but with exeption of McLeod, these guys were used sparingly.

This season, our use of youth has been even less, with only McLeod, and only in the last few weeks, Aird, having any bearing on the first team.

In the current financial climate, surely Ally NEEDS to look to use these younger players. Are they that bad? Would we not win the league if 3 or 4 of them started? The answer is highly unlikely.

Surely our youngsters are not any worse than some of those at Queens Park, Livi, Pars etc?

Why is Ally so afraid on using our kids?

As far as I see it, we need to look at developing these players NOW, while we still have the opportunity.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ally is not in a good position regarding using youths, he's damned if he does, and damned if he doesn't, and by that, I mean that if he was using young players, and we were not getting the results, or performances the fans demanded, he would be damned either way.

Maybe, once we have the league tied up, he can try to bring in some of the young boys, & play them in their favoured position, then we'll see if any of them are any good, as we should have a good few games left.

i hope your right. the league is effectively wrapped up now, so lets start giving them a go

although i hold little hope that ally will do this given he wouldnt even put youth on the bench when we had others injured!

I have to agree with both of you're posts.We would love to see our youth come good this season, and the next, but are we patient enough as a support, to allow this to happen. An example was the cup game against Forfar. I really don't believe that we would give any manager the chance, never mind Ally. Hopefully we will see some of them this season, who knows? :7325:

PS I use the Forfar game as an example as most of the new players were not available, and look how we reacted, not unfairly to be truthful.

Tbh mate I think the simple reason is that the youth are not all they are cracked up to be and I even include McLeod in that (he's a neat finisher but has a lot of ordinary games)

I'm not a fan of McCoist but I appreciate the pressure he's under to not only win every game in these lower leagues but to play well too - so we can't have it all ways with this current crop of kids

Play them and give them time to gel and hope they turn out fantastic free flowing footballers who win every game but we drop points in the meantime - or stick with the tried and tested big guns - prefer the later myself

Damm - why have we not debated this before - glad we have a thread on this - this needs debated again and again and again

Oh wait it's been bone before - ah ok

On op point lets ignore the youths Ally has brought brought, his need to win every game by ( now it seems) more than two goals, have a squad to win the cups and build a squad for the top - let's ignore all that and let's start yet another thread to have a go at Ally

Off the top of my head, mcleod, mckay, aird, crawford, mitchell, mcausland have all been given a shot at first team action.

Was there not a few youngsters on the bench on saturday, stoney?

Last year was considered rubbish my most online fans where the youth were used more often than not.

Ally is not in a good position regarding using youths, he's damned if he does, and damned if he doesn't, and by that, I mean that if he was using young players, and we were not getting the results, or performances the fans demanded, he would be damned either way.

Maybe, once we have the league tied up, he can try to bring in some of the young boys, & play them in their favoured position, then we'll see if any of them are any good, as we should have a good few games left.

This.. as usual we are a victim of our own success.

Come the end of the season I would expect to see the youth getting a game. development is more important than going on an unbeaten run.

I disagree with the first part. If Ally had came out and told all the fans his intentions was to groom the younger players for when we get back in the SPL then play 5/6/7 of them every week alongside a number of tried and tested, then the fans would have been more understanding.

The reason so many are vocal just now is that we are squandering money on people who when we get back to the top division simply wont be good enough anymore.......and our performances are still in the main, shite. (tu)

Funny how people moan when we play ugly and win 1-0 but they're more than happy for us to ditch the experienced players and field a team of young boys who will most likely drop points.

Its not funny at all. Given the choice of winning a turgid game 1-0 v Airdrie with a team full of Top division player on really good money who will be no use in 3 years time, or drawing with Airdrie 1-1 with a team full of youth and promise for the future, i will take the draw.

Its not funny at all. Given the choice of winning a turgid game 1-0 v Airdrie with a team full of Top division player on really good money who will be no use in 3 years time, or drawing with Airdrie 1-1 with a team full of youth and promise for the future, i will take the draw.

You'd be happy stuck in the lower divisions for years with a bunch of young players when there's no guarantee they will ever improve?

Funny how people moan when we play ugly and win 1-0 but they're more than happy for us to ditch the experienced players and field a team of young boys who will most likely drop points.

I'm not sure many really want us to play a team entirely of youngsters but might want more of a mix and have them as the back up options instead of the likes of Foster, Smith, Simonsen etc.

I don't see how that would make us more likely to drop points, even if they aren't good enough for Rangers in the long run and most likely aren't, we are playing absolutely rotten teams and if they can't manage against them then there's an even worse problem with our youth development than first thought

Ally learned from smith and it was the same as during 9 in a row and the second time around that no youngsters made the first team.

oops forgot about greig wylde , as he was a regular starter at one point. But he was 20/21 so dont know if that counts.

Aird, Macleod, McKay, Telfer, Murdoch, Stoney, Walsh, Hegarty, Perry, Hutton, Gallacher, Kelly, Crawford, Gasparotto, Mitchell. May be missing one or two bit all of these boys have been involved in the first team in the last two years. I'm curious if any other side has had as many youngsters involved.

I'm not sure many really want us to play a team entirely of youngsters but might want more of a mix and have them as the back up options instead of the likes of Foster, Smith, Simonsen etc.

I don't see how that would make us more likely to drop points, even if they aren't good enough for Rangers in the long run and most likely aren't, we are playing absolutely rotten teams and if they can't manage against them then there's an even worse problem with our youth development than better thought

I do agree that the likes of Simonsen, Smith and Foster are just bizarre signings, and I'm not happy with them. I do however think the likes of Daly, Templeton, Shiels, Black etc. were vital in terms of going forward. The fact of the matter is McCoist was always going to go for the 'best' he could get to strengthen his chances. There no doubt were better options out there on a fraction of their wages, but I think the blame there lies with the men who sanctioned it.