Squad Numbers

quinty

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my head I always associate the 11 shirt with Davie Cooper. When I was younger and still playing , it was the 11 shirt I picked up out the kit bag as I played on the left wing, though I was right footed, trying to kid on I could emulate him in any way. Fat Chance.

He was my all time favourite player.

The NZ All Blacks have a little ceremony before every game when a new cap is picked.

A former player, in front of the assembled squad, presents the new cap with his jersey. The speech varies very little. This is the All Black No ? jersey, it has been worn with distinction by, ?, ? and ?. These were some of the greatest players in the world and they never forgot what an honour it was to wear this jersey. You are now the person to wear this jersey, never forget who wore it before you and never let them down. Good luck.

Can you imagine being given the No 1, 11, 8, fuck it any of the Rangers jerseys with that speech.

This is the Rangers No 11 jersey, it has been worn with distinction by Brian Laudrup, Davie Cooper, Willie Johnstone, Willie Henderson and Alan Morton. These were some of the greatest players in the world and they never forgot what an honour it was to wear this jersey. You are now the person to wear this jersey, never forget who wore it before you and never let them down. Good luck.

I'd be expecting a debut hat trick

Ones that stick out in my mind from recent times are:

3 Weir

5 Papac

6 Ferguson/Jig

10 Novo

26 Stevie Smith

As they held down the shirts for a long time.

9 and 11 will forever be identified as McCoist and Coop, don't agree with this retiring shirts but if there was any fitting it would be them.

Too me John Greig wore the No 4 jersey, others that I associate with numbers 2 Sandy Jardine, 3 Eric Caldow. 4 Gough, 5, Butcher 6 Jim Baxter, Souness 7 Willie Henderson and Alan Morton, 8 Gazza, 9 Mc Coist, Colin Stein, 10, Hately, 11, Laudrup, Cooper.